Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 10:42   #2416
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I feel that the salary is low for a driver of a heavy vehicle, at least in these days where everything is getting costlier, salaries must be hiked a bit too to compensate.
Driver's "fixed" salary is 5000 and his variable salary is Rs.1 per km. So lets assume, if he drives 300 kms per day for 30 days, his total salary would be 9000 + 5000 = 14000. I guess, every driver can draw 15k per month on an average.

Private guys pay little better salary than STC's + perks (insurance, bonus, hotel room for day stay, etc).
Old 14th December 2012, 10:52   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Driver's "fixed" salary is 5000 and his variable salary is Rs.1 per km. So lets assume, if he drives 300 kms per day for 30 days, his total salary would be 9000 + 5000 = 14000. I guess, every driver can draw 15k per month on an average.
In VRL at least, the variable salary is Rs 1 / Km. But this is not for what he drives but is for the total trip. This is what the driver told me.
Pune Nagpur is almost 750 kms. There are two drivers per bus. Both would get Rs 750 each one way.
VRL gives a break of 10 days after every 20 days of service.
So if we calculate a bit, a VRL driver would get anything between 18k to 22k per month.

IMHO, that is pretty decent.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.

Last edited by coriollis : 14th December 2012 at 10:54.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 17:24   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Inter-City Bus Travel : 2nd A/C Sleeper Experiance
This is my experiance in a bus after nearly 12 years gap and it was like catching up with latest technology and travelling in style and comfort.
Since I moved to Chennai a month back, I was scouting for a cheaper way to travel between Chennai and Hyderabad frequently.
I ended up at Omni Bus stand in Koyembed in Chennai and was blown away by the options one had, to travel literally from any part to India !!
After doing any analysis of various transport agencies, I choose the one which had these advangates:
- Cheapest Fare (Rs.1250 per trip)
- 2nd AC Berth styled coach
- In-Bus Entertainment System
- Pick up and Drop Point convenience
- Minimum stops
- Punctuality

Believe me,when i boarded the bus last night and descended in Hyderabad this morning, I wasn't disappointed by any one of the above parametres I had set.
The bus rolled out of Koyembed at 7.30pm sharp and reached LB Nagar exactly at 6.45am, the following day.I was home by 7.30am for an early breakfast.

The bus journey was most comfortable, as the driver maintained a steady speed and never gave a chance to give any discomfort to passengers, by overspeeding. I had a slumber sleep for 7 hours and woke fresh as a flower.
Here is what i saw positive in this journey and experiance:
- Easy Booking procedure ( Booking confirmed over phone and payment
taken on the day of journey).
- Punctuality.
- Cleanest bus ever seen. Carpets,Bed Spreads,Pillows,Blankets were all
fresh and stainfree.
- Ambient and sufficient lighting inside the cabins.
- Chilled A/C till drop off point, no compromise or concessions here.
- Safe speed maintained by the driver.
- Best in class, In-Bus entertainment system ( A popular telugu film was
played).
- LED Reading Lights , Plug Points at all berths for charging Laptops and
Cellphones.
- Cellphone Holders.
- Bottle Holders.
- Very understanding Bus driver and staff.

All that missed was a in-board toilet which would have made me give them 10/10.
Btw its a Ashok Leyland bus but not a Volvo !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-img00029201212140632.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img00030201212140633.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-001.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-002.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-003.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-004.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-005.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-006.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-008.jpg  

Intercity Bus travel reviews-009.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 14th December 2012 at 17:26.
hillram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 17:35   #2419
Senior - BHPian

HELP! Hyd - Bom - Blr

There has been a change in plans, and my travel plan is to head to Bombay from Hyderabad on 23rd, and then get back to Bangalore on Christmas day afternoon.

VRL has a service from Hyderabad that leaves at 19:45hrs. The VRL call centre executive says the bus would drop me in Vashi at 06:30. Is it a way too optimistic estimate?

What are my options, if I have to reach Vashi by 8 o'clock in the morning?

For my return journey, I'm planning to book the 19:30hrs VRL service. Hoping to board from Vashi itself at around 22:00hrs.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 17:52   #2420
BHPian

Guys, any reason why water bottles and chips/biscuits have been stopped by some travels?

Hyd-Pune route Keseneni and HKB mostly have stopped providing water.

Anvancy
Old 14th December 2012, 18:49   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
There has been a change in plans, and my travel plan is to head to Bombay from Hyderabad on 23rd, and then get back to Bangalore on Christmas day afternoon.

VRL has a service from Hyderabad that leaves at 19:45hrs. The VRL call centre executive says the bus would drop me in Vashi at 06:30. Is it a way too optimistic estimate?

For my return journey, I'm planning to book the 19:30hrs VRL service. Hoping to board from Vashi itself at around 22:00hrs.
Sir I think VRL estimate is very optimistic. Generally it takes About 13 hrs. Better take early Volvo than VRL. HKB, Kesineni is good in this route.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 18:57   #2422
BHPian

Re: HELP! Hyd - Bom - Blr

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

19.45hrs from where is the question. When the bus leaves at quarter to 9 from Miyapur Chowk it reaches Pune Jahangir at around 6.30.

Keseneni HKB NTR Express Orange tours travels are buses which are preferred by IT/families. NTR gives packed blankets too.

Anvancy
Old 14th December 2012, 19:13   #2423
BANNED

Quote:
Where are you boarding the bus from?

I think by the time the bus leaves Hyderabad it would be nearly 21:00. Generally the time mentioned in the ticket is of the boarding point so by the time it leaves the city add another 1 or 2 hrs. I guess they can reach Mumbai by the quoted time. Is it a Volvo 9400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
Guys, any reason why water bottles and chips/biscuits have been stopped by some travels?

Anvancy
You are right buddy.

Earlier they used to provide water bottles just before the departure but now I don't see any operator giving it.

It could be because of the costs involved and handling required. But I suppose these costs are included in our ticket price. VRL and Kesineni provide a water bottle sometimes but most of the time people don't take those bottles but get their own so the operator would have assumed that it is no point in giving as not many are preferring them. Not that I find standard company water bottles (Kinley, Aquafina, Bailey or Bisleri should be provided instead of some XYZ brands that not many would trust).

Anurag.
Old 14th December 2012, 19:16   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
You are right buddy.

Earlier they used to provide water bottles just before the departure but now I don't see any operator giving it.

It could be because of the costs involved and handling required. But I suppose these costs are included in our ticket price. VRL and Kesineni provide a water bottle sometimes but most of the time people don't take those bottles but get their own so the operator would have assumed that it is no point in giving as not many are preferring them. Not that I find standard company water bottles (Kinley, Aquafina, Bailey or Bisleri should be provided instead of some XYZ brands that not many would trust).

Anurag.
Many say rise in diesel prices have pinched them.But simultaneously other Bus do give and the ticket costs the same.weird.

Anvancy
Old 14th December 2012, 21:21   #2425
BANNED

Quote:
Many say rise in diesel prices have pinched them.But simultaneously other Bus do give and the ticket costs the same.weird.

Anvancy
I know it sounds stupid but your point may be valid.

Say for example in a Volvo 9400, a liter bottle of water costs Rs 18, so for the whole passengers on an average of 40 it would cost a total of Rs 720. Not even a cost of one passengers ticket.

So how does the saving help his earning than provide a water bottle that is shown while booking tickets for some operators.

Anurag.
Old 14th December 2012, 22:41   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Say for example in a Volvo 9400, a liter bottle of water costs Rs 18, so for the whole passengers on an average of 40 it would cost a total of Rs 720. Not even a cost of one passengers ticket.

So how does the saving help his earning than provide a water bottle that is shown while booking tickets for some operators.

Anurag.
They provide 500ml of water at best, which hardly would cost them 5-7 rs wholesale.
Old 14th December 2012, 23:21   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
19.45hrs from where is the question. When the bus leaves at quarter to 9 from Miyapur Chowk it reaches Pune Jahangir at around 6.30.

Keseneni HKB NTR Express Orange tours travels are buses which are preferred by IT/families. NTR gives packed blankets too.

Anvancy
Quote:
Where are you boarding the bus from?

I think by the time the bus leaves Hyderabad it would be nearly 21:00. Generally the time mentioned in the ticket is of the boarding point so by the time it leaves the city add another 1 or 2 hrs. I guess they can reach Mumbai by the quoted time. Is it a Volvo 9400?
I'll be boarding from Gachibowli or Kondapur. I confirmed with the VRL office in Mumbai that the 19:45hrs bus would reach only after 9 o'clock, and the 16:30hrs bus would reach by 7 o'clock in the morning.
Old 14th December 2012, 23:55   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
I'll be boarding from Gachibowli or Kondapur. I confirmed with the VRL office in Mumbai that the 19:45hrs bus would reach only after 9 o'clock, and the 16:30hrs bus would reach by 7 o'clock in the morning.
given the 16.30 one,mostly it reaches 4.30 Pune so 7 may be correct but can still be +1 I suppose.

Just do note even if you dont know, Gachibowli pickup point usually is diagonally opposite Punjabi Rasoi. Buses stop at the Gachibowli flyover.So if you are standing on the Gachibowli-Miyapur road going towards Miyapur, the place where you stand you should face the Axis Bank head on.that spot is the pick up point for HKB and NTR Express.confirm with VRL exactly where.

Kondapur pickup point usually is after Kothaguda chowk,Siddique Tandoori Point.There you can see lot of travel agencies so thats an easy spot.

Keseneni picks-up from the chowk which is after Talkie town.so at Alywn chowk take a right towards Kukatpally.cross Talkie town and stop at the next chowk.cross over and wait near the andhra bank/sweet shop.u should see RK travels opposite you.

I hope it helps you.If you knew then maybe future travellers will benefit via this info.

Cheers.

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 09:35   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

More than savings, providing water bottles mean a lot of garbage in the buses. 90% of the passengers leave behind their empty water bottles and operators really find it hard to clean the bus afterwards.

These days, operators are mostly running on wafer thin margins - at the end of the day, many operators do not have any profit - they just meet the expenses (fuel, wages, maintenance, emi). Many such operators are planning to quit the market the moment their loan gets over. For such operators, saving Rs. 10 on every seat is a big saving.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:36   #2430
BHPian

Last week we had a chance to travel from Chennai to trivandrum for the first time via TN route in a Mercedes Benz Double Axle operated by SRM.

Since I had traveled much in Volvo from Coimbatore to Trivandrum and back, I expected a superior ride in Mercedes and I am completely disappointed.

The Volvo betters the Benz in almost all aspects.

Let me list the cons first.
1. The engine was so noisy which is almost like a normal leyland bus and the noise seem to hear like a FRONT engined BUS!!!. This is completely unacceptable since we were sitting in 4th row.

2. The ride was bumpy and on high speeds on slightly uneven roads, the entire bus body seem to vibrate (a kind of harmonic vibration) and it could be clearly felt on seats.

3. Attimes, there was a smell of Diesel inside the cabin which last for some 10 mins.

4. Though I saw the AC temperature set on drivers display was 24, the actual doesnt seem to be anywhere close. It seemed to me as if its about 27~28. Also, the filter section at the roof made some click noises every 5-6 mins which was irritating which I believe is switching between recirculate and fresh modes.

5. The seats where made by Harita which is of the same kind used in Volvos. But in this coach, it was a bit uncomfortable compared to Volvos.

The only pro which I could see is

1. The volvos will make you feel the acceleration but the benz was very much linear and it hides the speed well.
so overall its a thumbs down for Benz Multi axle

Last edited by shineshine : 15th December 2012 at 10:39.
shineshine is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks