Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 11:17   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Last week we had a chance to travel from Chennai to trivandrum for the first time via TN route in a Mercedes Benz Double Axle operated by SRM.
I believe its the brand new bus SRM introduced recently.

I also felt that the engine noice is louder and Harita seats are not at par with Volvo.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:44   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Though I saw the AC temperature set on drivers display was 24, the actual doesnt seem to be anywhere close. It seemed to me as if its about 27~28. Also, the filter section at the roof made some click noises every 5-6 mins which was irritating which I believe is switching between recirculate and fresh modes.

5. The seats where made by Harita which is of the same kind used in Volvos. But in this coach, it was a bit uncomfortable compared to Volvos.
That click sound is of the Thermostat coming into play - the sound is related to the cut-off/switch on of the compressor. That is a specific issue with some models of Carrier make ACs. In newer Thermoking make ACs, there is an irritating metallic sound everytime the compressor comes on - somewhat an amplified version of the sound we used to get from old household refrigerators.

The seats in the Mercedes is of a different model. The dimensions are the same though.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:51   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
These days, operators are mostly running on wafer thin margins - at the end of the day, many operators do not have any profit - they just meet the expenses (fuel, wages, maintenance, emi). Many such operators are planning to quit the market the moment their loan gets over. For such operators, saving Rs. 10 on every seat is a big saving.
But then a lot of people have raised severe objections if the operators try to charge more than the nnormal fare (or rather what they think the market will bear) in peak travel periods to make good some of their lossess.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:59   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
But then a lot of people have raised severe objections if the operators try to charge more than the nnormal fare (or rather what they think the market will bear) in peak travel periods to make good some of their lossess.
That is a point we'd love to disagree on. It is a fact that people object to looting during weekends. Some operators charge Rs. 1050 on weekdays and 1200 on weekends - fair enough. But you have robbers who charge 1000 on weekdays and 2500 on weekends. Whatever laws of economics are quoted, it is not something passengers can really adjust to.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 14:49   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
That is a point we'd love to disagree on. It is a fact that people object to looting during weekends. Some operators charge Rs. 1050 on weekdays and 1200 on weekends - fair enough. But you have robbers who charge 1000 on weekdays and 2500 on weekends. Whatever laws of economics are quoted, it is not something passengers can really adjust to.
Apparently enough people dont agree to the above views else the "looting" as you put it would have died a natural death
Old 15th December 2012, 15:46   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently enough people dont agree to the above views else the "looting" as you put it would have died a natural death
There are lots of people who agree to the above - the simple example is a look at SRS Travels' regular weekend rates. In the initial days, they charged Rs. 1999. But, now they charge only Rs. 1199. If people took the looting lightly, then they would've been still charging Rs. 1999 for weekends. (The route discussed in Bangalore-Ernakulam).

These operators, despite giving discounts, have very poor loads on weekdays, while the regular operators have better loads. The theories of economics might vary here. With my experience talking to travel agents, passenger rate operators who charge higher fares very poorly, and they take them only as a last option.

Its far better to fill up seats early and be rest assured that you'd be running a full bus than being in complete suspense till the last moment, and then resorting to netting last moment walk-ins.
Old 15th December 2012, 21:58   #2437
BHPian

I still dont find it looting when the cheapest flight ticket is 12000 on Bangalore Kochi on the Friday before Onam and the bus operator charges 2000 or 3000 as his cheapest ticket,. If he doesnt bow to popular sentiments by refusing to charge normal fares on that day on a route where most of his customers are from an industry which pay 20 year old freshers with just a science BSc an average of 15 K a month as starting salary, why should the guy be blamed......

Let him also benefit from the great economic boom around Madiwala and Whitefiield !!!!. Ofcourse do blame him when on that departure he doesnt give a 500 ml bottle of water free!!
Old 15th December 2012, 22:05   #2438
BANNED

Quote:
Last week we had a chance to travel from Chennai to trivandrum for the first time via TN route in a Mercedes Benz Double Axle operated by SRM.

Since I had traveled much in Volvo from Coimbatore to Trivandrum and back, I expected a superior ride in Mercedes and I am completely disappointed.

The Volvo betters the Benz in almost all aspects.

Let me list the cons first.
1. The engine was so noisy which is almost like a normal leyland bus and the noise seem to hear like a FRONT engined BUS!!!. This is completely unacceptable since we were sitting in 4th row.

2. The ride was bumpy and on high speeds on slightly uneven roads, the entire bus body seem to vibrate (a kind of harmonic vibration) and it could be clearly felt on seats.

3. Attimes, there was a smell of Diesel inside the cabin which last for some 10 mins.

4. Though I saw the AC temperature set on drivers display was 24, the actual doesnt seem to be anywhere close. It seemed to me as if its about 27~28. Also, the filter section at the roof made some click noises every 5-6 mins which was irritating which I believe is switching between recirculate and fresh modes.

5. The seats where made by Harita which is of the same kind used in Volvos. But in this coach, it was a bit uncomfortable compared to Volvos.

The only pro which I could see is

so overall its a thumbs down for Benz Multi axle
So I get to see another thumbs down for a Benz here. Nice!

The Benz engine does seem louder and harsher than the one operating in the Volvo's. The engine in the Volvo is more silent and refined (by the sound it makes).

One point I always have felt odd about the Benz is the rear axle arrangement. The first one has two set of tires on each side and the rear axle has only one on either sides. When viewed from behind the Benz looks like it has lost its legs. Our minds have been used to seeing four tires at the end (as in the Volvo's) so it feels odd. What could be the difference in this arrangement v/s the one's on the Volvo?

Anurag.
Old 16th December 2012, 00:05   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I'll be boarding from Gachibowli or Kondapur. I confirmed with the VRL office in Mumbai that the 19:45hrs bus would reach only after 9 o'clock, and the 16:30hrs bus would reach by 7 o'clock in the morning.
Silversteed, try the first departure of HKB. Their first departure (5.45 PMGachbowli , 6 PM Kondapur) has a promised arrival of 5.45 AM at Vashi. When I was staying in Mumbai, I was right next to the Western Exxpress Highway at Andhri and I would see this bus consitently passing by before 7 AM most days (their promisd arrival time is 6.30 AM at Andheri) so these guys should defintely reach Vashi by 6.30 AM.

HKB is one of the older operators on this route and have three departures. Check out their website. It has one of the best layouts I have ever seen with information on boarding and alighting points very clearly mentioned (VRL who is otherwise quite good can learn a lesson from these guys on this aspect). Buses also look well maintained from outside.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 00:28   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One point I always have felt odd about the Benz is the rear axle arrangement. The first one has two set of tires on each side and the rear axle has only one on either sides. When viewed from behind the Benz looks like it has lost its legs. Our minds have been used to seeing four tires at the end (as in the Volvo's) so it feels odd. What could be the difference in this arrangement v/s the one's on the Volvo?
Though I've heard some people say that having the drive axle before the tag axle improves the ride comfort and also reduces tyre wear, I'm yet to come across any concrete evidence for these things. The Volvo 9400PX has the same arrangement as the Merc O500RSD multi-axle bus, while the segment leader, the Volvo 9400XL has the tag axle in front of the drive axle.

Almost all the multi-axle buses seen abroad, from Volvo, Scania, Merc, MAN, VanHool all have the tag axle at the extreme rear.

Quote:
Silversteed, try the first departure of HKB. Their first departure (5.45 PMGachbowli , 6 PM Kondapur) has a promised arrival of 5.45 AM at Vashi. When I was staying in Mumbai, I was right next to the Western Exxpress Highway at Andhri and I would see this bus consitently passing by before 7 AM most days (their promisd arrival time is 6.30 AM at Andheri) so these guys should defintely reach Vashi by 6.30 AM.

HKB is one of the older operators on this route and have three departures. Check out their website. It has one of the best layouts I have ever seen with information on boarding and alighting points very clearly mentioned (VRL who is otherwise quite good can learn a lesson from these guys on this aspect). Buses also look well maintained from outside.
Sir, thanks a lot for that piece of info. My friend actually booked the 17:30hrs (Gachibowli) VRL service for me already. Let me see how that works out. If the claims of the VRL customer care guy is true, which is a 12 hours travel time, then I should be dropped at Vashi by 8 o'clock at the minimum - which is what the VRL guy in Vashi told me over the phone.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:27   #2441
BHPian

Yesterday (December 16- Sunday) night travelled from Cochin to BLR in Viji Yatra. One word: Pathetic Service. Had travelled in almost all travels in BLR- Cochin, BLR- Chennai route over last 11 odd years. Didnt faced such pathetic service:

1. In multi axle volvo even after shelling out INR 1100, no blanket is provided in some seats, including mine.

2. On questioning the same, lot of unnecessary arguements etc. Felt like fool when INR 700 ticket fare wala Greyhound/ SPS etc reached at the same time of Viji Yatra in Madiwala. Had seen all these buses crossing bus stop I boarded at a max of 30 mts before I boarded this bus.

By my experience, i will rate SRM the best. If we take staff courtesy as the lone parameter, even Shama, Kallada etc scores a centuary over Viji Yatra.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:00   #2442
BHPian

Chennai to Bangalore by Olivea on 19 Dec 2012 2330 hours

Was my fourth trip by Olivea in the past 12 months and clearly the worst. Booked for the 2330 departure and got an SMS around 9 PM announcing a 40 minute delay. Good job here, so that passengers need not wait at the departure point.

Reached the pick up point by 2300 hours as I had nothing else to do and was promptly handed over the boarding pass with a reminder for the delay. The bus was ready for boarding by 2340 and we left at 0000 hours. ~10-12 passengers on a weekday for super luxury service - not bad.

The bus was one of their first B9Rs and was showing signs of wear and tear. One word for the maintenance of the bus - PATHETIC. Leg rests were loosely held and was moving when the bus turned or braked. The holders for the TV remote was broken and so all the remotes were placed loosely on the floor. Almost all the seatback tables were coming off the slot and leaning on the leg rest at times. None of the fold-up TV screens would shut properly and hence were left half open. The bus was vibrating and creaking badly like an old Ashok Leyland AC rather than a less than 2 year old Volvo. Several curtains were hanging loose. Driving was rash and unpleasant. Constant honking and braking throughout the journey. The road condition was quite bad due to the road laying (near Chennai) and widening (Krishnagiri - Hosur stretch) and the ride was not very good. Thanks to all the traffic delays, finally reached Olivea office at Koramangala at 630 AM. One of the longest rides on this stretch. Thankfully could sleep because of the comfortable almost-lie-flat seat and humongous leg room.

Was informed that Olivea has suspended the Blr - Goa and Pondy routes as half the fleet has gone to DC for servicing / refurbishment. Let's hope the buses are restored quickly and maintained properly else Olivea is slipping real fast in terms of service levels.

Also noticed that the goodie bag containing chips, juice, biscuits etc which was usually handed over in the coach has been suspended. Cost cutting?
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:47   #2443
BHPian

I think Olivea is slipping badly. None of the recent reviews in the internet says anythingg favourable (other than the leg room) and with many of the regular B9R operators as well as the sleeper coach operators raising standards, Olivea will find it hard to maintain their niche.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:31   #2444
BHPian

Hi! I am traveling from Bangalore to Hyderabad on the 27th. Has to be a late night bus (post 10 pm) as I intend to catch up on the Empire Grilled Chicken before boarding! Was wondering about Olivia, but have changed my mind after recent reviews.

So, need alternatives. Th following conditions apply:

1. Should be bookable online
2. Price range: 700 - 1400 (Willing to pay a premium if its worth it)
3. Should reach Hyderabad before 9 am

Please help! Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:30   #2445
BHPian

I do know that Bangalore = Madiwala/Koramangala for a lot of people but Empire do have a lot of outlets, so which outlet are you planning to visit to gorge???

If you can forget the Empire bit, HKB has departures at 0800 and 0830 PM form Koramangala and they seem to be highly regarded. Else try APSRTCC or KaSRTC both of whom will have late night departures mostly from Shanti Nagar but APSRTC has a few services starting from Electonic City as well.

Divakar used to be good when I used to travel on this sector as was SVR, but have not seen any recent reviews on both.

Most Viewed