Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 23:11   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
For the first time ever in Kerala a private operator has been awarded a SUPER EXPRESS permit. The route would be Ernakulam - Kumily ( Thekkady) to be operated by Mubarak Bus service.

prmd cochin- where does this bus service start from in Eranakulam?
Old 28th December 2009, 23:31   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I guess end of KerRTC monopoly in Ernakulam-Thekkady route. Is it the same route as the KerRTC FP buses via Kottayam, [Ernakulam-Kottayam-Ponkunnam-Mundakayam-Kumily-Thekkady]? Or similar to the existing Ernakulam-Kattappana private bus routes with out touching Kottayam?
Old 28th December 2009, 23:34   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I guess end of KerRTC monopoly in Ernakulam-Thekkady route. Is it the same route as the KerRTC FP buses via Kottayam, [Ernakulam-Kottayam-Ponkunnam-Mundakayam-Kumily-Thekkady]? Or similar to the existing Ernakulam-Kattappana private bus routes with out touching Kottayam?
This i guess would be through the Ekm - Mvpz - Tdpz - Mmtm - Kumily route, as there is already one Mubarak running via that. And its not just express, its super express service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The thodupuzha route buses used to start from South Railways station, o this one also should.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:39   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the first time ever in Kerala a private operator has been awarded a SUPER EXPRESS permit. The route would be Ernakulam - Kumily ( Thekkady) to be operated by Mubarak Bus service.
I just love to travel in that bus , Pramod have you been to that bus ?

do you know the timing ?

How is seating ?

BTW , does that have a speed governer ?

I just wonder how they operate in Super Express segment with a Speed governer installed
Old 28th December 2009, 23:42   #245
BHPian

Quote:
There were some Private Interstate Super Express running from Mangalore to few places in Kerela.

I don't know whether they had Karnataka or Kerela permit, but i remember seeing some super express boards written.

The buses used to run from Kollur- Udupi - Mangalore - Guruyuru/ Thrisshur.

Last edited by kadri007 : 28th December 2009 at 23:43.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:50   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Award of Super Express permit to any operator does not signify end of anybody's monopoly. This route is nationalised, and the permit is being issued only under a stay issued by the court.

There is currently a restriction on the maximum distance a bus can be operated as "Ordinary". (I think the restriction is 140 km - this needs a re-check). For all trips (one-way) exceeding this distance, the operator has to compulsorily opt for a higher class of service - some operators choose FP, while some others opt for SF.

Quote:
This i guess would be through the Ekm - Mvpz - Tdpz - Mmtm - Kumily route, as there is already one Mubarak running via that. And its not just express, its super express service.
This service should be a replacement - this route is "closed" for new permits. What is the surprise in this being a "super express"? There is no "express" category in Kerala, and any service has to be "super" class.

Quote:
The thodupuzha route buses used to start from South Railways station, o this one also should.
As of today, all private services towards Moovattupuzha/Kottayam side depart from Kaloor. Private buses no more originate at South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

I just wonder how they operate in Super Express segment with a Speed governer installed
"Super Express" permit is NOT based on end-to-end speed, but with the number of seats. The bus would reach its destination earlier due to the lesser number of stops, not due to speed. All Commercial Vehicles in Kerala are required to have a Speed Governor - The vehicle is not certified fit without one.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:53   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I just love to travel in that bus , Pramod have you been to that bus ?

do you know the timing ?

How is seating ?

The permit was just awarded, migh start operating in amonth or so, unless they have the bus ready already.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:02   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
This route is nationalised, and the permit is being issued only under a stay issued by the court.

"Super Express" permit is NOT based on end-to-end speed,
I recently heard the private buses operating between Mangalore and Kasargod are again back.

Private operators had approached the court and now they can operate till 2012 till their permits end. No new permits are issued.

In Karnataka also the Super Express permits are based on no of stops and not speed. This is given especially for long route buses.

But if you compare the timings both Express and Super Express have the same especially in Mangalore - Udupi sector.

And speed depends on the drivers
Old 29th December 2009, 00:05   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Award of Super Express permit to any operator does not signify end of anybody's monopoly. This route is nationalised, and the permit is being issued only under a stay issued by the court.

There is currently a restriction on the maximum distance a bus can be operated as "Ordinary". (I think the restriction is 140 km - this needs a re-check). For all trips (one-way) exceeding this distance, the operator has to compulsorily opt for a higher class of service - some operators choose FP, while some others opt for SF. .
What's SF?

Quote:
This service should be a replacement - this route is "closed" for new permits. What is the surprise in this being a "super express"? There is no "express" category in Kerala, and any service has to be "super" class.
Not for private bus operators. Pvt bus operators had only express permits before. And so super express permit is a huge surprise.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:42   #250
BANNED

The only "Express" service I know of is an Ernakulam - Boyce Estate route, operated by KMS.

Probably, there used to be an Ernakulam - Pala - Mundakyam operated by Surya, long time back.

There is also a bus to Munnar (I think) starting from Fort Cochin early in the morning, and returning by 9.30 in the night. Not sure of the name.

"super express" is certainly a surprise.

The only route configurations I know for private buses were Ordinary, Limited Stop Ordinary, Fast passenger. and the rare Express.

@binaks, where is the 140KM limit on ordinary routes stated? I have not found it anywhere in the Kerala routes.

BTW, I notice that some of the JNURRM LF / SLF buses posted here have seats facing rear. Do the buses in Kerala have seats facing the rear? If so, there is a clear violation of the Kerala Motor Vehicle rules - all stage carriagesin Kerala should have seats facing front only.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:11   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
There were some Private Interstate Super Express running from Mangalore to few places in Kerela.

I don't know whether they had Karnataka or Kerela permit, but i remember seeing some super express boards written.

The buses used to run from Kollur- Udupi - Mangalore - Guruyuru/ Thrisshur.
One of them was 'Ambika Motors', which later became 'Ambika Vybhav Motors'. They had 2 buses, and i don't think they are operating now, as one of them is running around in B'lore ('Janani' has picked it up)
Old 29th December 2009, 10:23   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
One of them was 'Ambika Motors', which later became 'Ambika Vybhav Motors'. They had 2 buses, and i don't think they are operating now, as one of them is running around in B'lore ('Janani' has picked it up)
I think VNT had taken over all Ambika Motors and Jayraj Ballal Motors. As i remember there were around 4 buses which used to run to Thrisshur and Guruvayoor from Mangalore side.

These buses used to run during late evening and reach early morning.

NR Pura - Sringeri- Karkala- Mangalore - Thrisshur

Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Thrisshur

Kollur - Udupi - Mangalore - Guruvayoor - 2 buses

Has anyone seen these buses recentely.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:27   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently heard the private buses operating between Mangalore and Kasargod are again back.

Private operators had approached the court and now they can operate till 2012 till their permits end. No new permits are issued.
When did this come-back happen? I remember reading a recent news article about Private buses being stopped on inter-state routes. AFAIK, both the KSRTCs now operate 25 buses each day. (Each bus makes 4 round trips, IIRC).

Quote:
What's SF?
Super Fast.

Quote:
Not for private bus operators. Pvt bus operators had only express permits before. And so super express permit is a huge surprise.
Like I said earlier, there is no class called an "Express" in the latest fare notification issed by the Kerala Government. This class is abolished, and buses would have to change their class when the permit comes up for renewal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The only route configurations I know for private buses were Ordinary, Limited Stop Ordinary, Fast passenger. and the rare Express.
As of today, Private buses may operate using ANY class approved by the Government - that is Ordinary, Limited Stop Ordinary, Fast Passenger, Super Fast, Super Express and Super Deluxe. (I am not sure if AC buses may be introduced by Private operators - there are no operators running AC buses on scheduled routes - other than one odd bus "Parasuram" on the Kodungallur-S.Bathery route, which is an AC bus with 2x3 seating, but charging only a premium on FP fares)

Quote:
@binaks, where is the 140KM limit on ordinary routes stated? I have not found it anywhere in the Kerala routes.
A restriction exists, due to which all services to Malabar area from Kochi/Kottayam side are now being upgraded to Fast Passenger or above. I am unable to get hold of the official notification, though.

The official notification was issued on 09.10.2007. The Maximum distance permitted for LSOS is only 140 kms. For operating beyond this, the service needs to be upgraded to FP or above.

Here is a statement issued by RTA, Kozhikode supporting my claim above (This statement was issued as a reason for rejection of an application to operate a service: Walayar-Palakkad-Kozhikode (Via) Olavakkode, Mannarkkad, Perinthalmanna, Malappuram, Kondotty, Ramanattukara as LSOS).

Quote:
The route in question is having a route length of more than 140 kms which is against the rule 2 (0 a). As per KMV Rule 2 (0 a) ordinary service means a service which operates on a route having a distance not more than 140 kms with one or more stops in every fare stage. The division bench of Hon’ble of High Court of Kerala as per judgement dated 30.06.2003 in OP No.7211/99 had upheld this amendment and directed Regional Transport Authority to consider all applications strictly in accordance with the guide lines regarding route length, old age of vehicles etc. In this case the route length exceeds 140 Kms. Hence rejected.
Quote:
BTW, I notice that some of the JNURRM LF / SLF buses posted here have seats facing rear. Do the buses in Kerala have seats facing the rear? If so, there is a clear violation of the Kerala Motor Vehicle rules - all stage carriagesin Kerala should have seats facing front only.
The buses introduced by KSRTC under JNNURM are as per the new Bus Code. These buses were introduced an an exemption from the State Carriage rules in Kerala. BTW, these services are now included in the State Carriage rules as a "special" class.

Quote:
I think VNT had taken over all Ambika Motors and Jayraj Ballal Motors. As i remember there were around 4 buses which used to run to Thrisshur and Guruvayoor from Mangalore side.
AFAIK, these services no more exist. I was told by a friend that some operators converted these buses to normal "tourist" permit buses. I mean they no more operate as stage carriages. (This needs confirmation).
Old 29th December 2009, 13:02   #254
BHPian

Quote:
The only "Express" service I know of is an Ernakulam - Boyce Estate route, operated by KMS.

Probably, there used to be an Ernakulam - Pala - Mundakyam operated by Surya, long time back.

There is also a bus to Munnar (I think) starting from Fort Cochin early in the morning, and returning by 9.30 in the night. Not sure of the name.

Surya is FP.

Other express services are

Mattanchery - Ernakulam - Kothamangalam - Pooyumkutty - PPK n Sons Express. The bus ins rebuild but a KRF registration chasis and engine. Leyland rocks.

Ernakulam - Erumely - Loving Express, now renamed and extended to Ernakulam - Ranni and run by Robin. Tey keep on changing their bus.

Kottayam - Kumily - Kondody Express. They are probably he best service and body builders in Idukki. Most of the bus body you see are kondody design or built.

And Now,

Mubarak Super Express - Ernakulam - Kumily - Kuttar.
Old 29th December 2009, 13:10   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks
As of today, all private services towards Moovattupuzha/Kottayam side depart from Kaloor. Private buses no more originate at South.
I Thought these services are starting from south railway station.Muvattupuzha-Kaloor(37kms IIRC) bus stand route -> the buses are not even entering city centre! .

Mubarak bus running to kumily via kakkanad-Muvattupuzha route cannot be made super fast anyhow You people ought to see the pathetic state of narrow,hilly,twisty bad surfaced SH41(EKM-MVPA) .

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th December 2009 at 13:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks