Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 20:59   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.arun01 View Post
...Will never ever climb into a Airavat again. All this for a whopping 894 per tkt.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Did you take one of the special services? If it were, then KaSRTC would've sent one of their run down buses for the trip, and it's no surprise if it leaks and rattles.

However, if it really was a multi-axle Volvo, then it's surprising. KaSRTC keeps their multi-axle buses spic and span
Old 16th September 2013, 21:08   #2957
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
However, if it really was a multi-axle Volvo, then it's surprising. KaSRTC keeps their multi-axle buses spic and span
Doesn't Airavat Club Class mean a Volvo 9400 XL (Multi-Axle)?

Anurag.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:35   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Doesn't Airavat Club Class mean a Volvo 9400 XL (Multi-Axle)?
Airavat Club Class is indeed a multi-axle bus (Volvo 9400XL or Merc O500RSD). I was playing the devil's advocate by giving the benefit of doubt.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:57   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Took a round trip to Coimbatore from Bangalore in ABT X travels. This was during the last week(6-9th). Reason for selecting ABT being, the tickets during weekdays Rs.500 only.

Departure from Madiwala 11:30 PM promptly. The extended weekend coming, bus was full. From the start, the driver was imitating the driving style of BMTC volvo. The 225 hp CRS maintained a steady 80-90 kmph.

The driver took the Attibelle flyover underpass and the Dhali road to join NH7. Some parcel loading before Hosur flyover and i woke up to realize bus stopped at Salem. About 25% of the seats got vacant here.

Then after Salem tollways, bus took the left to reach Erode(about 50% of the bus seat got vacant here) and the driver was very rash after that, and somewhere in a speed breaker damaged the air suspension 'baloon'. In the Avanashi road concrete bumps, it was literally a horse ride!

Reached Hope's by 6:45. Scheduled arrival time 6 AM.

Contrary to the onward journey, the return journey was peaceful, so that i went to sleep after Erode and woke up just before Hosur. Starting time 10 AM at Hope's and reached Silk Board at 5:10 AM. Even in this, more than half of seats got filled at Erode. ABT gets good patronage from Erode area!

One thing which happened during both onward and return trip is:

1) Bus doing about 80-90 kmph in the fast lane.
2) A slow moving truck appearing ahead.
3) A speeding Volvo B9R in the left lane flashing headlights(from the back)
4) This bus braking like anything and avoiding the truck/Volvo.

Scary!
Old 16th September 2013, 22:03   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The 225 hp CRS maintained a steady 80-90 kmph.
AFAIK, ABT doesn't own any 225 HP CRS engine powered buses.
Or did they purchase anything recently?
Old 16th September 2013, 22:13   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
AFAIK, ABT doesn't own any 225 HP CRS engine powered buses.
Or did they purchase anything recently?
Then i am wrong with the numbers. So it is the 180 hp engine then? I thought the AC needed 225 hp. The engine sounded powerful though.

PS: Got your message in FB. Will reply ASAP.
Old 16th September 2013, 22:28   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Then i am wrong with the numbers. So it is the 180 hp engine then? I thought the AC needed 225 hp. The engine sounded powerful though.
Yes, it should be from their old lot.
I did travel in ABT X Travels from Chennai to CBE during my last vacation, didn't like a bit since the bus was very old.
Though the maintenance was good, interiors were of bad shape and felt the pickup was too less (engine rhythm was good), took bit more than 10 hours from Guindy to Hope College on a weekday(via salem, 30 mins for unloading parcel, Erode).
Old 16th September 2013, 22:31   #2963
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Pre filling the gauge was near to empty so after filing, I was sitting at Co-drivers seat so the minute he switched ON the ignition the needle went up till half Mark.

Anurag.
140 L in a 600 L tank is close to 1/4 , how come the needle shot to 1/2 ? he must have filled close to 300 L then.
Old 16th September 2013, 23:21   #2964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABT was using 205hp 12M buses. AL used to have 177hp and 205hp BS2 engines on offer. Later, the 205hp was discontinued and 225hp CRS was offered.
Old 17th September 2013, 08:41   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ABT was using 205hp 12M buses. AL used to have 177hp and 205hp BS2 engines on offer. Later, the 205hp was discontinued and 225hp CRS was offered.
Majority of ABT's fleet is 177 hp. Very few are with 205hp.
And wrt AL these engines were migrated to BSIII and hence change in power and fuel injection system.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 17:10   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Majority of ABT's fleet is 177 hp. Very few are with 205hp.
I thought all ABTs had 205hp engines. What about ARC?
Old 18th September 2013, 17:35   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I thought all ABTs had 205hp engines. What about ARC?
They too have mixed fleet. Now they have 222 Viking BS3 with 180 hp.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 18th September 2013 at 17:57.
Old 18th September 2013, 23:08   #2968
BHPian

In kpn erode to chennai 10.30 multi axle Volvo. There is really no words to describe the condition of the bus. Total waste, I don't know if they have cleaned it this year. There gives my 630 for this gutter.
Old 18th September 2013, 23:29   #2969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
In kpn erode to chennai 10.30 multi axle Volvo. There is really no words to describe the condition of the bus. Total waste, I don't know if they have cleaned it this year. There gives my 630 for this gutter.
This is a old bus and is in service for more than few years. This is used to counter ABT and ARC starting from pollachi.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:10   #2970
BHPian

Having travelled on the Hyderabad Pune route for 2 years, I am writing my personal experience so far.

There are four major players for the Hyderabad Pune/Mumbai sector which are famous among the IT people.
1.Kesineni Travels.
2.Orange Travels.
3.HKB.
4.NTR Express.

Of the 4 above, Kesineni runs on Volvos and recently added the B11Rs on the Mumbai route. Orange runs a mix of Volvos and Mercs and so does HKB. NTR runs only two Volvo 9400 I Shift buses through this route.

I have travelled with all except Orange since i generally find their timings and fees not suitable.

Kesineni is a favorite among all the IT and specially with the family people.Their service is formidable, clean and efficient. Out of the four, Kesineni is the only one which stops at a proper motel type resto after Zaheerabad. I think the name of the place is Mahinder Palace or on those lines. I always have my food and then travel, so cannot vouch for the resto. But the washrooms are of decent quality and you get chips and such though at inflated rates. Also Kesineni perhaps is the only one which stops for dinner at around 9.30 ish so its very feasible.
The quality of the buses both interior and exterior are good. Since price increase, they have stopped providing water bottles so its advised you buy one or carry one before you start the journey. Movies well its personal taste. I have watched Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya like 8 times in this service. I think its the driver's favorite movie. Rates for the service hover now around 1000 bucks. Also note that the famous VL118 which used to reach Miyapur at 8.30pm has now been rescheduled. Now the service reaches at 6.50pm at Miyapur chowk. The B11R service reaches Miyapur at around 9.40PM.

I will recommend Kesineni any day if you are travelling with Family or ladies. Dont expect Jet Airways staff but you will get the job done. Ride quality is comfortable except the Karnataka Phase. the highway patch that these take is extremely bad so bumps are guaranteed.

I travelled by HKB only once.The journey took 13hours which were un-necessary.The bus was not properly maintained and the drivers were not friendly. So I chucked that travel agency out of my list.

My current favorite has been NTR Express. They run two services, one which starts at 5pm and the other at 7pm. So the first service reaches Gachibowli at 6pm, Kondapur at 6.15-6.30pm and Miyapur till 7pm. I dont know about other travels but NTR still provides you a local manufactured water bottle, chips and biscuits everything at the ticket of 800Rs if you book early. The standard rate runs at Rs 950. The automatics are very nicely maintained. They give blankets in seal king plastic bags, so thats a nice touch. Movies are latest and Ashiqui 2 is the current favorite.
The flip side is the driver stops the bus at the designated Naseeb dhaba at 11pm which is way after Zaheerabad. I personally did not find this a hindrance but elderly will do find it a problem.
The ride quality is excellent and the automatics glide through the highway. Like I said its the Karnataka highway section which is bumpy and hits you at like 12:00am. Its a two hour ordeal and once you cross Maharashtra border its butter smooth. These know how to drive the automatics and you reach Pune Jahangir Hospital in the range of 4.15am to 4.30am. The Max i will say is you will reach at 5.30am.But not beyond that. I asked the agent why there is a shift of timing. His reply was since there is lane construction and diversions at times, it proves to be late for people travelling to Mumbai. In order to avoid the delay, the timings have been revised.

In summary.
1. If you are a bachelor and do not care about food - NTR express. If you tell me HKB, NTR is more bang on time than HKB.
2. Family travelling - Definitely Kesineni. It fits family travel perfectly.

There are other players viz. Jabbar, Omer,Pavit, SVR, Neeta, VRL and others.

SVR mainly runs the Shirdi route.

But the four that I mentioned play a bigger role.

Hope I helped fellow Hyderabad Mumbai/Pune travellers.

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks