Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 16:01   #2971
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Hi all,

Need to travel to Chennai during the Diwali Holidays and planning to travel by bus (preferably AC sleeper since I have a kiddo) as train reservations are having a very high waiting list. Require your inputs on various travels running services between Bangy and Chennai and the one which would be most comfortable?

Cheers!!!
Old 20th September 2013, 19:55   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
Hi all,

Need to travel to Chennai during the Diwali Holidays and planning to travel by bus (preferably AC sleeper since I have a kiddo) as train reservations are having a very high waiting list. Require your inputs on various travels running services between Bangy and Chennai and the one which would be most comfortable?

Cheers!!!
Operators with AC Sleeper services - KPN, SRM, KaSRTC (both Non-AC & AC Sleepers), Sree Bhagiyalakshmi Travels, BGS, Greenline Holidays, Shama Sardar, etc.

Shama Sardar operates a Luxura AC Sleeper - its a good bus, with comfortable ride, but they have extremely unpredictable fares, and mixed service.

KPN - hit or miss service. But generally their AC sleepers are new, and fairly on time.

SRM - the Volvo service in this route isn't great - no comments about the sleeper service.

Greenline - heard they have great service - no frills operator. It seems they change the bedspread at the end of each trip and replace with fresh one, and stuff like that. They operate Damodar built AC Sleepers.

Shree Bhagiyalakshmi Travels - Age-old operator in TN. They recently started operating to Bangalore, in a tie-up with Royal Travels. Heard somewhere that the service is good.

BGS - no comments. Its a new service.

Hindusthan - they had a service - not sure if they still do. Hindusthan is a good operator - Coimbatore based guys, no frills, no hassles. If they still operate - I suggest them.

KaSRTC - no need to mention. They operate AC Corona Sleepers - the most comfortable AC Sleepers that I've ever traveled in. Typical KaSRTC service too.

So from this, my pick would be KaSRTC AC Sleeper, then Hindusthan and Greenline.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 11:21   #2973
BHPian

In addition to the comprehensive list by Binai, Road Link India has now started an AC Sleeper service in addition to their Volvo service between Bangalore and Chennai. The Volvo service has one of the highest ratings with Team BHP members on the Bangalore Chennai route and going by those, the Roadlink option should be the one you should consider first The bus has a scheduled departure of 10.30 PM from Kalasipalayam and 11.30 PM from Madivala as per their website.

There is also VRL which some of us here in these forums feel stand out by a mile in terms of professionalism compared to most of the rest. They have 2 AC sleeper services as well.

In addition a couple of others which Binai missed out are SRS Travels (one of the biggest operators in South India) who has a NON AC sleeper service - 11 PM at Madivala., and Sharma Transports, one of the oldest operators from Bangalore which has both AC and Non AC sleepers.

KaSRTC, I agree with Binai is the best option BUT keep in mind that since you are travelling with a kid, if you are boarding from Madivala it is not the greatest option. There is a nice comfortable waiting lounge if you board from Shanti Nagar bus station (Wlson Garden) but Madivala can be a hassle as there is no proper waiting area(when last I travelled) and waiting in the middle of night on a busy road is the not the best option with a kid around as buses can get delayed even upto an hour. If travelling from Madivala, chose Roadlink or VRL or any of the other operators as their agents atleast provide a proper office where you can wait.

SRS prvides a waiting area at Kalasipalayam as does Sharma (their head office is there) while if you are boarding from Majestic area, go for VRL who has proper passenger facilities at their Anand Rao Circle terminus.

If you are going for KPN and boarding from the downtown area, triple check where your bus starts from. Most of the KPN buses start from Wilson Garden with very limited facilities for waiting passengers (if you are from Wilson Garden area - KaSRTC is the automatic choice) while some of their late night KPN departures start from Kalasipalayam and there have been complaints about passengers facing difficulties in tracking down their buses.

Last edited by TKMCE : 21st September 2013 at 11:24.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 13:18   #2974
BHPian

Adding to binaiks and TKMCE, KPN waiting area in Bommanahalli is not bad except that at peak times you feel like you have reached Chennai without boarding the bus due to the humidity inside. They don't have proper toilet/restroom though. And you just have to be alert when they announce the arrival/departure of the buses. Not a big hassle when compared to the way they generally treat the passengers and their totally unpredictable timings. Will keep you alert till you board the bus. It's like playing a catch-your-bus game out there. Still they do have the most number of services which run almost through out the day. SRS has an office and decent waiting area in Madiwala. Would suggest this if Non-AC Sleeper is fine. Really don't know why they have not introduced an A/C sleeper service to a city like Chennai. Sharma has an office in Madiwala but it is always crowded. Too small for an operator who has so many buses. Their sleeper bus was an old one until some months back, not sure about the condition now. VRL has got some good feedback from TBHP members but I was not impressed much the one time I took their Chennai-Bangalore sleeper, non-AC IIRC. Shama Sardar, their buses look good always but their service is quite the opposite. To be fair it was just one time, but then I never felt compelled to try them again.

Keep in mind your final destination as well. Most services end at Koyambedu, through Poondamalli bye pass. But some of them take the Porur/Guindy/KK Nagar/Vadapazhani route to Koyambedu. Some of them continue upto Egmore/Central after Koyambedu. There are some which also go to Thiruvanmayoor/Adayar/Velachery. Not much fun haggling with Auto drivers in the morning if you don't have someone to pick you up.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 23:22   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Operators with AC Sleeper services - KPN, SRM, KaSRTC (both Non-AC & AC Sleepers), Sree Bhagiyalakshmi Travels, BGS, Greenline Holidays, Shama Sardar, etc.

Shama Sardar operates a Luxura AC Sleeper - its a good bus, with comfortable ride, but they have extremely unpredictable fares, and mixed service.

KPN - hit or miss service. But generally their AC sleepers are new, and fairly on time.

SRM - the Volvo service in this route isn't great - no comments about the sleeper service.

Greenline - heard they have great service - no frills operator. It seems they change the bedspread at the end of each trip and replace with fresh one, and stuff like that. They operate Damodar built AC Sleepers.

Shree Bhagiyalakshmi Travels - Age-old operator in TN. They recently started operating to Bangalore, in a tie-up with Royal Travels. Heard somewhere that the service is good.

BGS - no comments. Its a new service.

Hindusthan - they had a service - not sure if they still do. Hindusthan is a good operator - Coimbatore based guys, no frills, no hassles. If they still operate - I suggest them.

KaSRTC - no need to mention. They operate AC Corona Sleepers - the most comfortable AC Sleepers that I've ever traveled in. Typical KaSRTC service too.

So from this, my pick would be KaSRTC AC Sleeper, then Hindusthan and Greenline.
binaiks, thanks for having me those options. Checked the website of Hindustan and found there are no services plying between Bangy and Chennai. Plz share the info
Quote:
BUT keep in mind that since you are travelling with a kid, if you are boarding from Madivala it is not the greatest option
TKMCE, Sine I stay near to Bommanahalli, are there chances of KaSRTC stopping nearby. I am aware that KPN has a boarding point @ Bommanahalli. How about for the rest..??

Quote:
Not much fun haggling with Auto drivers in the morning if you don't have someone to pick you up.
sbkumar, Thanks for having provided me with so much info. I know about Chennai Auto drivers who rule there with their flat rates. That shouldn't be a problem as my relative would be coming to pick us up at Koyambedu..
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:44   #2976
BHPian

The new luxury omnibus

Quote:
Ultra-wide recliner seats, conference rooms, individual tables and chillers, fancy restrooms and pantries, even a spa — these swank, super-luxury buses are geared to give air travel a run for its money
Quote:
Yesterday, Siddhi Vinayak Logistic Ltd (SVLL), the commercial vehicles manufacturer introduced its ultra-luxurious '7-star' bus, the SVLL Connect in Surat. These vehicles have been manufactured by Scania, the Swedish automotive manufacturer, operating now in India.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/22875916.cms
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:15   #2977
BHPian

Just wanted to get some feedback on the travel times for Ekm to Chennai sector. Tried checking on redbus which gives out a lot of options with arrival in Chennai at 6AM. Can anybody who does this sector often tell me whether these buses get late often? And how late?

I plan to travel in mid November and have an onward flight from Chennai at 8:15AM. Confused between a bus and train journey as the earliest train(Patna exp) also reaches MAS at 5:40AM. Which out of these two options would be the most reliable(in terms of reaching the destination on time) one?

Or am I cutting it too close and just book a train leaving in the morning and reach well in time the night before. Or any other travel options? (Apart from the sky high air tickets)
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:55   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I plan to travel in mid November and have an onward flight from Chennai at 8:15AM. Confused between a bus and train journey as the earliest train(Patna exp) also reaches MAS at 5:40AM...
Or am I cutting it too close and just book a train leaving in the morning and reach well in time the night before. Or any other travel options? (Apart from the sky high air tickets)
You're cutting it too close. Consider travelling the day before and halt in Chennai for the night
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:38   #2979
BHPian

I totally agree with Silver Steed. Please reach the night before. I have travelled exhaustively from both Trivandrum and Ernakulum to Chennai on buses and a guaranteed arrival at Chennai before 6 AM is in my opinion too much of a lottery. Dont even think of it.

Book the Raptisagar/Korba/Ahilya Nagari Express trains (depending on the day of travel) leaving Ernakulam at 10.15 AM the day before which will reach Chennai at 11 PM. Do not take the earlier (7.15 AM) Alleppy Dhanbad Express which is very slow and reaches only at 10.15 PM.

If you want to have a same day connection and take an overnight train, the only reasonable option is to take the Mangalore Chennai Egmore Express (the old West Coast Express) which leaves Palakkad at 2.30 PM. The only advantage of this train is that while it goes via Trichy and Chengalpattu (unlike Salem and Katpadi route of other Kerala trains), a much longer route, it goes via Tambaram (much closer to the airport and where you can take a local train to the airport station - unlikely to be crowded so early in the morning) and with an arrival time of 04.10 AM at Tambaram, this should be a safe option to catch your 08.15 AM flight. Drawback is that you have to board from Shornur (1.30 PM or Palakkad. 2.30 PM). Also do keep in mind that the train which reaches Chennai at 11 PM the previous night leaves Palakkad at 2 PM, just half an hour before, so the choice is yours whether you want to get stuck in a slow moving passenger train of Indian Railways which masquerades as an Express!!!

Last edited by TKMCE : 23rd September 2013 at 06:01.
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:29   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I plan to travel in mid November and have an onward flight from Chennai at 8:15AM....
By any chance, is it an international flight?

As TKMCE said, 10.15 am train from Ernakulam is a safe bet. Don't rely on any buses from Ernakulam or even Coimbatore.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:26   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to get some feedback on the travel times for Ekm to Chennai sector. Tried checking on redbus which gives out a lot of options with arrival in Chennai at 6AM. Can anybody who does this sector often tell me whether these buses get late often? And how late?
I have traveled in both the early Kallada services from Cochin at 16:15 (via Thrissur, Palakkad Palani, Dindugul, Trichy), 16:45 (Via: Thrissur,Palakkad,Coimbatore, Salem, Tambaram) and SRM 17:45 (Via: Thrissur,Palakkad,Coimbatore, Salem, Tambaram) though my boarding will be from Thrissur every time and 8 out of 10 times all will reach airport around 07:00 AM.
Having said that I strongly suggest arriving at Chennai a day earlier will be the preferred option because no one can predict a pile up in early hours at GST.

Trains arriving early morning at Chennai Central should be ruled out straight away even if you are able to get a reservation ticket in first place because they may be on time up to Ambattur but not any further and the remaining 20 kms may easily take an hour.

My suggestion would be to get any bus / train until Coimbatore and board Duronto (easy to get a AC chair car ticket) at 15:20 and t will drop you at Central 22:05 (spot on most of the times).
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:32   #2982
BHPian

First of all a minor correction to my earlier post. The Mangalore Chennai Egmore train which goes via Tambaram and which you can board at Shoranur or Palghat is not the West Coast Express which is a different train. The train I am referring to is 16860 which is a daily train.

Keep in mind Duronto does not run on Tuesdays . Also since Sinner666 is boarding from Ernakulam ,to catch the Duronto, he as to board the Ernakulam Bangalore Intercity, which while a fast train, can get very crowded and leaves Ernakulam at 0910. Within 1 hour of that from Ernakulam, he can get the direct train to Chennai which reaches at 2310. These trains (Korba/Gorakhpur/Indore) all have major reservation quotas from Chennai so getting a reservation in AC 2 Tier or 3 Tier should not be a problem.

Sinner666 By any chance are you connecting to the Go Air Chennai Port Blair flight???
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:11   #2983
BHPian

Thanks a lot, you guys have proved to be a gold mine of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You're cutting it too close. Consider travelling the day before and halt in Chennai for the night
Considering the same given all the advices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
By any chance, is it an international flight?

As TKMCE said, 10.15 am train from Ernakulam is a safe bet. Don't rely on any buses from Ernakulam or even Coimbatore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I have traveled in both the early Kallada services from Cochin at 16:15 (via Thrissur, Palakkad Palani, Dindugul, Trichy), 16:45 (Via: Thrissur,Palakkad,Coimbatore, Salem, Tambaram) and SRM 17:45 (Via: Thrissur,Palakkad,Coimbatore, Salem, Tambaram) though my boarding will be from Thrissur every time and 8 out of 10 times all will reach airport around 07:00 AM.
Having said that I strongly suggest arriving at Chennai a day earlier will be the preferred option because no one can predict a pile up in early hours at GST.

Trains arriving early morning at Chennai Central should be ruled out straight away even if you are able to get a reservation ticket in first place because they may be on time up to Ambattur but not any further and the remaining 20 kms may easily take an hour.

My suggestion would be to get any bus / train until Coimbatore and board Duronto (easy to get a AC chair car ticket) at 15:20 and t will drop you at Central 22:05 (spot on most of the times).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
First of all a minor correction to my earlier post. The Mangalore Chennai Egmore train which goes via Tambaram and which you can board at Shoranur or Palghat is not the West Coast Express which is a different train. The train I am referring to is 16860 which is a daily train.

Keep in mind Duronto does not run on Tuesdays . Also since Sinner666 is boarding from Ernakulam ,to catch the Duronto, he as to board the Ernakulam Bangalore Intercity, which while a fast train, can get very crowded and leaves Ernakulam at 0910. Within 1 hour of that from Ernakulam, he can get the direct train to Chennai which reaches at 2310. These trains (Korba/Gorakhpur/Indore) all have major reservation quotas from Chennai so getting a reservation in AC 2 Tier or 3 Tier should not be a problem.

Sinner666 By any chance are you connecting to the Go Air Chennai Port Blair flight???
@TKMCE - Yes, It is the Go Air to Port Blair. How would you know? Are you planning a trip on it as well?

@ All - The bus till Coimbatore would be a bit of a pain. I would be coming from Idukki, which would mean changing too many buses/trains. Considering this will be my first trip to Kerala with my wife, and that too barely a week after the marriage, don't want to leave much scope to mess up.

My departure from Chennai is on a Tuesday, so thinking of going ahead with the 10:15 AM train, provided I get through the infamous IRCTC firewalls.
Old 24th September 2013, 05:21   #2984
BHPian

On Monday the 10.15 AM train will be the Trivandrum Korba Express which touches Ernakulam North (Town) station and not the main Ernakulam Junction (South) station. This train gets a lot of reservations from not just Chennai , but also points in Andhra Pradesh to Raipur and beyond, so even if the reservation is not confirmed immediately it will get confirmed close to departure. The only exception to this is the first Monday in November which is the day after Diwali, in which case everything will be already booked solid and from the way the bookings are going even the Coimbatore Chennai Duronto will get sold out in another 2-3 days.

Sinner666- I have already been to Port Blair many years back and liked it then. As for guessing your destination, well... I am a bus travel fanatic (but not at the expense of giving impractical advice which is why I am advocating train in your case from the word GO) who works in the air transport field!!! Have a great trip
Old 27th September 2013, 23:32   #2985
BHPian

Need some help on the KeSRTC buses which run between Pathanamthiita and Kumily in Kerala via Gavi eco tourism area. Is anybody aware of the timings from either end and also how long it takes. I don't plan to stop over at Gavi but will continue through to the end , Also are there clean decent not too expensive (around 750-1000 Rs per night) places to stay near the bus stands at Kumily or Pathanamthitta since I plan to do the trip from Ernakulam and I might have to stay overnight at one of the towns ?. Neither of these two towns to my knowledge has too many late night services.

Any information is appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks