Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 11:38   #3556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Was it the KaSRTC or KSRTC? If it's the latter (Kerala SRTC), they don't resort to such tactics usually, and the former is infamous for lugging the engine to extract the highest kmpl.
Obviously KaSRTC. I hold KSRTC in high regards in these matters. They maintain their Volvo fleet pretty well. The sparkling clean KURTC buses and pathetic BMTC volvos provide insight to the contrasting priorities.

Last edited by poloman : 9th September 2015 at 11:39.
Old 9th September 2015, 11:49   #3557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Was it the KaSRTC or KSRTC? If it's the latter (Kerala SRTC), they don't resort to such tactics usually, and the former is infamous for lugging the engine to extract the highest kmpl.
What i understand by engine lugging, is the driver lowers the engine RPM at say 4th or 5th gear to extract maximum FE. There is a difference going at 1500-2000 RPM in 4th gear on a level road and on a gradient. I would call the latter LUGGING.
If the KaSRTC drivers employ such tactics on a level road, I would say it is fine. But the customers will be reaching their destinations quite late I guess. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 9th September 2015, 12:28   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What i understand by engine lugging, is the driver lowers the engine RPM at say 4th or 5th gear to extract maximum FE. There is a difference going at 1500-2000 RPM in 4th gear on a level road and on a gradient. I would call the latter LUGGING.
You can visit this thread for a discussion on what Lugging is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-engine.html

If you're sitting in one of the last 3-4 rows in an RE bus, then you'll have a bad time because of the horrible drone/groan from a lugged engine. For the bus, though the components are built tougher than pass-cars, lugging causes premature failures in the power-train components, especially the transmission. In HCVs, 2000rpm is more like the 4000rpm range in cars - the redline will be at 2500rpm or so. Since they have a longer stroke and higher displacement, these engines deliver peak torque and power at much lower rpms compared to cars.
Quote:
If the KaSRTC drivers employ such tactics on a level road, I would say it is fine. But the customers will be reaching their destinations quite late I guess. Correct me if I am wrong.
The usual shift pattern followed by KaSRTC drivers is very similar to that of the MTC Deluxe bus drivers in Chennai - they'll shift up to 5th/6th before the bus has crossed 30-40kmph, and then keep the engine as close to the idle speed as possible (~800rpm), regardless of the type of road.

Last edited by silversteed : 9th September 2015 at 12:30.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:57   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Had a bad experience with KPN this past Sunday. Took the 10:00 Multi Axle Service from Adyar. It goes to T.Nagar and Guindy before leaving Chennai.

Left Guindy at 11 and heard the driver already complaining about some issues in the bus. Apparently, sometimes the bus' engine rpm increases but with no resultant increase in the speed of the bus.

Didn't really bother about it much as he was earlier mentioning to me about how this bus has made 13L kms until now with minimal maintenance compared to Scania ones.

Around 3:30, the lights in the cabin were on and the bus was inching on the ghats just before Hosur. Heard him telling someone that the bus was not moving anymore and we actually started rolling backwards in the midst of traffic.

Somehow it came to a stop and all the passengers were requested to shift to any other KPNs running through that route. This one was full and hence it took 4-5 buses to accommodate all of us (standing). Myself and two others got into a Semi Sleeper and took our places in the cabin.

Worst part about this service is how early it comes to Bangalore and how inconsistent they are. Sometimes it reaches Madiwala by 4 and sometimes by 5.

Eventually got down at Madiwala at 5:30. Was dozing off at work in the afternoon due to lack of sleep. Didn't expect such a thing to happen with a trusted operator. Hoping for a better experience with Parveen this time around.
Old 1st October 2015, 08:52   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know about the frequency, fare etc of A/C buses running in the Chennai - Pondy route? Are they running only through ECR or through Tindivanam as well?

I sometimes take the bus instead of my car if I am the only passenger. But oddly, I frequently see plenty of these buses when commuting in the city every day, but they never come along if I wait for them at Guindy, and I have to ultimately take a normal bus!
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:08   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Does anyone know about the frequency, fare etc of A/C buses running in the Chennai - Pondy route? Are they running only through ECR or through Tindivanam as well?
I don't think there are buses still running via Tindivanam. All Pondy buses I've seen in the last 5-6 years are ECR bound. Yes Volvo A/c takes the ECR.
Old 5th October 2015, 16:42   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I don't think there are buses still running via Tindivanam. All Pondy buses I've seen in the last 5-6 years are ECR bound. Yes Volvo A/c takes the ECR.
I saw a Volvo 8400 city bus (Chennai ~ Pondy) by PRTC on 21st August. This was at Perungalathur when I was waiting to board SRM bus to Thrissur. Hence I'm sure the timing was somewhere between 19:15 and 19:30.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:04   #3563
BHPian

Need a review of bus operators on following sectors: Pune - Mysore and Mangalore-Pune.
I see that KSRTC, VRL and SRS have services. I would want to try 2 different operators as I have never traveled on any of them. I have heard that I should stick to either Airavat or VRL. Could you please suggest what is the recommendation?
And what time it "actually" takes between Pune - Mysore and Mangalore - Pune?
Old 12th October 2015, 19:20   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Need a review of bus operators on following sectors: Pune - Mysore and Mangalore-Pune.
I see that KSRTC, VRL and SRS have services. I would want to try 2 different operators as I have never traveled on any of them. I have heard that I should stick to either Airavat or VRL. Could you please suggest what is the recommendation?
And what time it "actually" takes between Pune - Mysore and Mangalore - Pune?
My flat neighbor who works in Mumbai, always comes to Bangalore by KSRTC Sleeper bus. Reason being cost is less compared to private operators.
Moreover what I have heard is even in Volvo buses, the maximum vehicle speed is limited to around 95 kmph. That makes it safer unlike the private operators.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:33   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My flat neighbor who works in Mumbai, always comes to Bangalore by KSRTC Sleeper bus. Reason being cost is less compared to private operators.
Moreover what I have heard is even in Volvo buses, the maximum vehicle speed is limited to around 95 kmph. That makes it safer unlike the private operators.
Thanks. Am aware about Bangalore. But Any clue about actual time taken between Pune Mysore and Mangalore Pune?
Old 13th October 2015, 09:26   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Am aware about Bangalore. But Any clue about actual time taken between Pune Mysore and Mangalore Pune?
My family often travels to and fro PUNE - Mangalore. Anand travels is good, both non ac sleeper and ac.
Neeta travels is good too.
Ksrtc is slower than the private buses.
VRL is the worst. No leg space, slow, poor drivers who mainly are sleep deprived.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:21   #3567
BHPian

Pune Mysore services of all three operators are Mumbai originating services and as per their respective websites all have boarding only at Katraj. Also all of them route via Shimoga and not via Bangalore. Are the roads via Shimoga as good as the NH 4? Earlier KSRTC had a Mysore Bangalore Pune service but I do not find this operating now.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:00   #3568
BHPian

Quote:
Mangalore - Pune:

Canara Pinto and Anand are most reputed and punctual operators in this sector. They take between 13 to 14 hours to reach Pune. They entertain roadside passengers.
KSRTC is slow and I find maintenance not up to the mark.
SRS is hit and miss with many unscheduled stops for roadside passengers.
VRL on other hand does not entertain roadside passengers, but are forced to make scheduled stops at various VRL checkpoints.

All the buses except one SRS service are Volvo B9R 9400. Hence the legroom is same. Maintenance too is top notch with all the operators.
SRS operates one Scania, which according to me is at par with Volvo.

Pune - Mysore:

KSRTC rules in this route. They have 2 services. Takes almost 16 hrs.
VRL does have one service, although faster can be a bit tiresome due to multiple check points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Neeta travels is good too.

I don't think that Neeta is still operating in this sector, and even if they were, I would not go with them even for free.

Cheers.
AB
Old 14th October 2015, 22:45   #3569
Senior - BHPian

A request to all the BHPians who are considering the 10:30PM (Madiwala) KPN (2+1 Semi Sleeper Non A/C) Bangalore - Chennai service. DON'T!

Had the misfortune of traveling in it last week on Friday and trouble started as early as the Madiwala - Silk Board flyover. There was a burning smell and a lot of smoke coming out the bus as it was inching on the flyover.

Some people suspected it could be the clutch and stopped the bus at Bommanahalli. Driver abuses us telling that it was only yesterday that the bus was serviced for 15K rupees and that everything is all right. We were adamant not to move the bus forward an inch without a mechanic giving the go-ahead.

Mechanic was called and in the mean time, countless number of KPNs go past us knowing full well what the issue is.

Mechanic arrives at around 11 and starts looking at it. It is now 1 AM and there is no sign of solution. We are informed that the passengers will be boarded on the bus coming to Bangalore in the morning (around 4-5 AM approx.).

Calls were already been made to CS and Head Office but nothing comes out of it. The HO guy promises to call back in 5 but continues his sleep peacefully.
Same case with another manager at Bangalore.

Finally the driver pleaded with the mechanic to do something and at 1:30 AM, we are told that the bus is ready.

Long story short, we reach Chennai at 7:30 AM. No calls nor emails from KPN management even after getting these many cries of help from the passenger.

Called their CS line as soon as I reached home and let it rip in local language using the choicest abuse words. The man at the other end asks for the bus number and tells they will strive to make my next journey a 'happy one'.

For reference, the bus is KA 51 A 9499. If allotted, run miles away from it to the nearest KSRTC stop and take whichever is available

I have video of the bus smoking and stranded passengers waiting at midnight in the middle of the road. But I doubt it will be of any help.

Such a pathetic organization it has become, KPN.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 14th October 2015 at 22:47.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 23:02   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

I have video of the bus smoking and stranded passengers waiting at midnight in the middle of the road. But I doubt it will be of any help.
Please post the video, would love to have a look. Did they mention what the problem was? KPN staff are an arrogant lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks