Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 08:42   #3886
BHPian

Had an adventurous ride with Kallada from Chennai to Thiruvalla on 16th, this Monday.
The origin point was Arumbakkam metro station, since buses are not allowed in CMBT as per commissioner order. Schedule time of departure was 1900. Schedule arrival at Thiruvalla was 0800 but from my experience it was always closer to 1000.
Braving the heavy rains and lack of cabs and autos on Monday evening I managed to reach the bus stand by 1830.
The bus was Volvo B9R and my seat was A2. In addition to Thiruvalla passengers, TVM bound passengers were also boarded as their bus was waiting at Maduravoyal. After all this action we slipped into the sea of traffic at 1930.
Crawled through traffic, watched a movie, had a dinner break and it was just before Ranipet that the bus stopped on the road side. Maybe to pick someone, I thought. Just at the moment the driver informed that the coolant pipe had burst. Time was 2330, and we are now stuck.
After repeated calls and abuses the mechanics arrived at 0230. Hoses were replaced, engine oil with was low was tanked up and we were good to go at 0300.
Accepting the inevitable delay we marched on. On the way many times the MID buzzed indicating high engine temp.
Somewhere after Kuthiran at around 1130 we stopped again due to high engine temp. As instructed by the mechanics on phone, the driver did something to increase the fan speed to keep the radiator cooler.
Meanwhile a spare bus was kept ready at Angamali for us to continue to Thiruvalla. We reached angamali at about 1430. Boarded the spare bus and began our journey.
Finally reached Thiruvalla at 1830, a full 24 hrs after I boarded from Chennai.
I have had good experiences with Kallada in the past. No more Kallada for me again. How is Evacay? Does Orange have trips to Thiruvalla?
Thanks

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 18th October 2017 at 08:52.
Old 18th October 2017, 08:52   #3887
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Had an adventurous ride with Kallada from Chennai to Thiruvalla on 16th, this Monday.
Sorry to hear about your misadventure. Hard to imagine spending 24 hours on a trip.

Quote:
How is Evacay? Does Orange have trips to Thiruvalla?
I have found Evacay to be prompt, decently maintained buses. More feedback about them in this thread in post No. 3858 to 3860. Just two pages back.
Old 18th October 2017, 10:08   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Had an adventurous ride with Kallada from Chennai to Thiruvalla on 16th, this Monday. No more Kallada for me again. How is Evacay? Does Orange have trips to Thiruvalla?
Thanks
For Thiruvalla SRM is more reliable and they are serving this route for more than a decade. It was at 7:00 PM from CMBT until few months back and now they have rescheduled it to 8:00 PM.

Even EVACAY have one service from CMBT at 6:00 PM to Pathanamthitta through Thiruvalla and should be more reliable than Kallada. Have thaken this service couple of times on weekend; service was good and punctual but the arrival was too early for my place.

Coming to Kallada you should always stay away from the one that takes Vellore road. Because once you are stranded somewhere between Chennai and Krishnagiri there wont be any alternates plying on that route.
We had a similar incident near Villupuram once travelling to Thrissur on a weekday. Within 30 minutes they manged to get few of the passenger onto an AC sleeper. Remaining few including me were accommodated on a Calicut bound Volvo Multi-axle till Palakkad. We were surprised to see another Scania from Bangalore waiting for us in Palakkad to take us to Thrissur. We managed to reach destination delayed only by 30 minutes.

Also Orange is not having a service to Thriuvalla I believe.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 12:05   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Just got her booked on 1705 Service from KGBS. The bus terminates at Pai Travels, Borivli at around 1130. Hope, they keep the schedules.
Well, the MSRTC strike in M'rastra put paid to the hopes of smooth journey. The KSRTC bus was stopped at Kagal and they didn't allow them to proceed any further. Interestingly, the private bus operators were let go. Sis, had to hop onto a 'National Travels' bus to continue the journey n she was charged 1K for sleeper ticket, from the border to Mumbai.

Any here have idea how to claim refund of KSRTC ticket on their website?
Old 18th October 2017, 12:56   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, the MSRTC strike in M'rastra put paid to the hopes of smooth journey. The KSRTC bus was stopped at Kagal and they didn't allow them to proceed any further. Interestingly, the private bus operators were let go. Sis, had to hop onto a 'National Travels' bus to continue the journey n she was charged 1K for sleeper ticket, from the border to Mumbai.

Any here have idea how to claim refund of KSRTC ticket on their website?
I am really not sure if the website has an option for such refunds. You could write to their customer care or call them up for further details. My encounters with their customer care has been generally good.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:04   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Something interesting coming up:-

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img20171103wa0006.jpg
balenoed_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:51   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Which operator would you recommend on the Bangalore-Belagavi route for an early morning arrival at Belagavi(preferably between 5 and 6 AM)? We would prefer a scania/Volvo, AC seating only. We are a group of 4 including 2 ladies, so a neat mid journey rest stop is also an essential requirement.
We have a presentation at around 9.30-10 AM at VTU, Belagavi, so reaching early morning is absolutely necessary.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:01   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Something interesting coming up:-
This inter-state private bus services are really big business, with big money of even politicians involved. As usual, this was another "pioneer scheme" launched by Karnataka politicians way back in the late 1980s (or even before).

If the rules related to "stage carriage" & "contract carriage" are enforced in letter and spirit, all the Kalladas, KPNs, VRLs,Sharma & Shama combo would have to sell their fleet and close down their shops (and reservation web sites).

As per the existing rules, only state transport authorities (TNSTC,Ka.SRTC, Ke.SRTC) have the permits to operate "stage carriages" between two different states. A "stage coach" is the type of bus, which has pre-determined routes, timings and pick up and drop passengers from various scheduled stops. "Contract carriage" is a bus which is taken on contract for a specific journey, on a specific day to a specific location. For eg: A wedding party trip, or a pilgrimage trip. Such buses cannot behave like a normal bus, by having reservation facility (on a seat basis), multiple pick up and drop points etc.

Before computerisation etc., I have seen these "contract carriage" staff preparing a passenger manifest of "Tourists" who are travelling in the bus. Yes, I used to go as a "tourist" to my home town, where I have spent my child hood and adult hood (to an extent).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:22   #3894
BHPian

Friends,

Any review of the SRS Volvo multi-axle Sleeper service to Ahmedabad from Bangalore?
Last minute planning and high flight fares during Christmas vacation, landed me into booking one for my next visit to Ahmedabad. The travel time quoted is about 25 hours. Since I have kids with me was wondering if any of us had any experience.
I would appreciate if you have any feedback on :
1. Services to Ahmedabad from SRS ( if there is experience of above mentioned service, it will be great ). Are they typically in time or delayed ?
2. How comfortable/suitable Volvo multi axle sleepers are for such long journey with kids.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th December 2017, 14:54   #3895
BHPian

Taking Jabbar Travels Volvo from Bangalore to Hyderbad, tom evening. Any reviews??
Old 16th December 2017, 18:09   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Friends,

Any review of the SRS Volvo multi-axle Sleeper service to Ahmedabad from Bangalore?
Last minute planning and high flight fares during Christmas vacation, landed me into booking one for my next visit to Ahmedabad. The travel time quoted is about 25 hours. Since I have kids with me was wondering if any of us had any experience.
I would appreciate if you have any feedback on :
1. Services to Ahmedabad from SRS ( if there is experience of above mentioned service, it will be great ). Are they typically in time or delayed ?
2. How comfortable/suitable Volvo multi axle sleepers are for such long journey with kids.

Thanks in advance!
Just sharing my two cents.

I have taken Vijayawada Pune SRS Scania. The service was relatively punctual. We lost an hour or so at Hyderabad due to traffic and the delay was maintained till Pune. The dinner stop was at a decent hotel ,clean and early too.

For kids, I would strongly advise against taking buses as the rest stops are not frequent and Sleeper buses are rather uncomfortable for a long trip.

I would recommend a break journey. Take a train to Mumbai and another train from there. Or, take a bus from Mumbai after taking a train to Ahmedabad.
Old 18th December 2017, 22:23   #3897
BHPian

Guys,

I did a Hyd-Blr-Hyd in this weekend. It was a get together of my school fellows.

Hyd-Blr

Took the SKallada 10pm Hyd-Cbe Scania. The fellow on duty was KA51 AA 7878 with little over 6.28 Lakh KMs under his belt. It was a Van pickup from Lakdikapul, and boarded the bus elsewhere (i dont know the place, it was somewhere close to Attapur). A pax was late, and hence started at 1040pm from there, and finally left Parivar dhaba (again, dunno the place) at 1110pm. The driver was ripping from begining. i switched on my GPS, and he was clocking 101/103 Km/h regularly. I dozed off, and woke up when the driver changeover happened at 0330hrs. I just opened Google maps, and was shocked to see we were already in Anantapur The second driver started slowly, maintained a steady 90/95kmph, took a diesel break and we were in Hebbal at 6am. I was dropped at Madiwala at 0630am. Wow, 8hrs for 560+Kms! Water bottle and a biscuit packet given.

Blr-Hyd

Took the Jabbar travels scania. KA51 D 9757. Boarded at BTM layout at 8pm, left Hebbal at 1020pm, tea break at 1140pm for 25mins, and dropped at Mehdipatnam at 0625am. A quiet, sedate journey. A water bottle, a small biscuit packet and a facial swipe was given
Old 19th December 2017, 11:46   #3898
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys , need some help. Have booked a Shivneri volvo from Pune(Swargate) to Mumbai(Dadar) . I need to travel to CST . Where should i get down so that i can reach CST fastest? The departure from Pune is @ 1PM. I assume arrival to Mumbai will be around 5PM
Old 20th December 2017, 16:31   #3899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys , need some help. Have booked a Shivneri volvo from Pune(Swargate) to Mumbai(Dadar) . I need to travel to CST . Where should i get down so that i can reach CST fastest? The departure from Pune is @ 1PM. I assume arrival to Mumbai will be around 5PM
Hello,

you should get down at Chembur - Maitri park stop. Or if the driver agrees, then at the signal just prior to Maitri park.

As you are starting from Swargate at 1 pm, you will reach Chembur maitri park around 4-4.15PM. The Shivneri's are speedlocked at 80Kmph.

From here you take a cab to CST. You should be there at CST in around 20-25 min.

Cheers,
AB
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:29   #3900
BHPian

Had a mind numbingly slow journey from Bangalore to Calicut via Karnataka RTC Volvo service on 30th December.

As per KSRTC website, the bus was scheduled for departure at 21:02 from Shanthinagar, with 21:45 pickup from Mysore Road bus stand. The arrival time in Calicut was shown as 05:30 hours the next day. Naively beliveing the website, I booked a seat with pickup from Mysore Road bus stand.

The bus reached Mysore Road bus stand around 22:00 hours, and left after 5 minutes or so. Overall delay of 20 minutes at start, which I thought was no big deal. The journey as such was event free. Blankets and water bottles were provided and I promptly slept off. At around 6 AM in the morning, I heard the crew announcing some place, which I assumed was Calicut. As I was preparing to get up, a quick look through the window made me realise that the bus was actually in Thalassery! At first I thought that the they rerouted the bus through Thalassery due to the traffic problems in Thamarassery churam. But as the bus ambled its way through NH66 towards Calicut, passengers were getting down in Mahe, Vadakara etc., and the conductor seemed very familiar with the places, which made me suspect this was their regular route. In the end reached Calicut at 08:30. I was too numb by then to even ask the crew why the bus came through Thalassery, so just got down and walked away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks