Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 10:12   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I have a question. How many of the state transport operators offer sleeper bus services. Among the large and successful STCs of south India, the only sleeper buses I can remember are KaSRTCs Corona Sleeper services, which are very limited.

Other than that I know that my home state operator, OSRTC also operates a few sleeper cum seater services.

Why are the STCs not going in for sleeper services, when a large no. of the private operators are operating very long journeys using these?
Old 4th January 2011, 11:10   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I have a question. How many of the state transport operators offer sleeper bus services. Among the large and successful STCs of south India, the only sleeper buses I can remember are KaSRTCs Corona Sleeper services, which are very limited.
I think APSRTC used to have some, but not sure if the service still exists. KaSRTC offers both AC and non-AC sleeper services.

Quote:
Why are the STCs not going in for sleeper services, when a large no. of the private operators are operating very long journeys using these?
Sleeper services are not remunerative over weekdays - they find passengers only during weekends. Private operators make most of their revenue from parcels, than from passengers. Also, private operators provide sleeper+seater services, while KaSRTC offers purely sleeper services.

Moreover, Sleeper services are not encouraging for short distance passengers. Most STUs carry short distance passengers as well. While a seater bus can been used on long trips as well as short trips (most Volvos/Rajahamsas of KaSRTC are used for day time services in the Bangalore-Mysore section in addition to long trips at night), the sleeper buses have little opportunities for being cross-utilised.

On short routes (under 8 hours), KaSRTC buses make an additional day trip - for example, Bangalore-Chennai overnight buses return as a day service from Chennai (and vice-versa). By doing so, KaSRTC extracts more kms per day from their buses.

Last edited by binaiks : 4th January 2011 at 11:13. Reason: Addition of content.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:03   #603
Senior - BHPian

So why not go in for seater-cum-sleeper services like the ones OSRTC and the private operators run. And in these buses with the limited number of sleepers, I think they will fill up on all days.
Old 4th January 2011, 15:57   #604
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Bangalore by Sangita Travels B7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Did you travel in this bus?
Attachment 476102

Really sad to know you bad experience. In you experience, which operator (other than KaSRTC) do you think is a sure bet? KPN and Parveen now operate day services (Parveen operates only during weekends) between Bangalore and Chennai.
binaiks, it's the same bus. And same driver too.

I would put my money on ARC and ABTX. For comfort, the Jahan 2+1 Semi-sleeper non A/C is also good, though their departure and arrival wouldn't be so punctual. I'm talking about B'lore - Chennai. Haven't experienced B'lore-Kerala trips
Old 4th January 2011, 17:06   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So why not go in for seater-cum-sleeper services like the ones OSRTC and the private operators run. And in these buses with the limited number of sleepers, I think they will fill up on all days.
I remember reading somewhere that the Transport Department of Karnataka has stopped registering new "Sleeper cum Seater" buses. The bus has to be either an all Seater or an all Sleeper.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:41   #606
Team-BHP Support

In the last 2 weeks, a friend travelled Bangalore-Manipal (2251 departure from Majestic) and Udupi-Bangalore (1245 departure from Udupi) on KSRTC Volvos.

The 1st broke down at 3am and they got a non-A/c replacement bus at 4am.

The A/c of the 2nd stopped working because "there was no coolant" at 4pm, they got a replacement only at 6pm.

All operators desperately need to have a good maintenance schedule for the Volvo fleet.
Old 4th January 2011, 19:01   #607
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Bangalore by Sangita Travels B7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
ABTx is a decent service. From my personal experience they are much more punctual and courteous than KPN. KPN has a lot of daily services though. The seats in ABTx are a little narrow for my comfort but I would prefer that to the inconsistent timings and shabby treatment by KPN.
Amen to that.

ABT's buses are religiously maintained, they are punctual, the staff are courteous and they are the most accident-free service providers.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:40   #608
Senior - BHPian

Volvo Multi Axle to Mercedes via Isuzu

Had made a trip to Vijayawada on work last week. For return had booked myself the Sree Kaleswari Travels Volvo Multi Axle.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ticket1.jpg

On reaching their office realized that it is not going to be a Volvo Multi Axle but an Izuzu which would be making the trip. The Isuzu was a brand new one with the plastic wraps still on in almost all the seats.

When we reached their main office near Benz circle we were informed that this bus has tax issues hence it would not go upto Chennai instead we would have to changed buses near Nellore. After couple of stops waiting for passengers who decided to board the bus on the way instead of reaching the office on time we finally reached somewhere near Kavali at around 4 in the morning to change over to the other bus which was a battered & bruised Mercedes. Ended up reaching Chennai at around 8.30 in the morning. That was my first trip on Kaleswari and is going to be the last trip as well. I dont want to do another "Looking London - Talking Tokyo" trip.

Strangely their website still claims a Volvo Multiaxle for the 10:15 PM departure.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ticket.jpg

Now for a feedback on Isuzu & Mercedes, both of which are a first time for me. It was nowhere as comfortable as the Volvos. The Isuzu seriously needs some torque. The sound insulation also was not so great. The only good thing about the bus is the overhead racks and a reasonably aggressive front design.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:25   #609
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore <> Chennai - National travels & Roadlink India Travels

Here's one journey I'd cherish. I moved to Bangy from Chennai and had to transport the remaining belongings to my room here. So I'd gone to Chennai on 7th and reached Bangalore on 10th morn.

Onward journey was booked in National Travels non-A/C 2+1. We had one single seat on the LHS and a window seat on the RHS - both in the first row, just behind the driver cabin (That's how I was able to book in redBus due to availability issues). We got in and were requested to occupy the RHS seats. We obliged. The seats were very comfortable - Harita seats found in most good Volvo buses. Enough leg room, ample gap between the two seats, and mobile charging points right in front of us, with pouches. This seemed to be an exclusive luxury available only to seats 1 and 2 as none of the other seats had plug points. Boarded the bus at 22:45, though the sche. We were dropped in Egmore at 06:00hrs. Comfortable ride. No movies, so had a nice sleep. Traffic was thick on the highway, and the bus had entered Hosur to load parcel. Forgot to add that with all the parcel loaded on the top, the bus was almost as tall as a double decker bus

Since we have a lot of luggage, I booked a Volvo bus, considering the cavernous luggage compartment under the passenger deck. This time I went thru the reviews in redBus carefully, and chose Roadlink India Travels, as they had a 4.5- 5 star rating in all fronts - punctuality, bus quality and staff behavour. Our boarding point was Adyar, as it's the nearest to where I used to stay in Chennai. We reached there at 21:00hrs, and the bus was already there. After 10 minutes, the driver came and turned on the engine and AC. We loaded our luggage, and got in. Started at 21:30hrs as per schedule. Because there were many people getting in from different places on the way to CMBT, it had to wait for 5-10min at various places - people had the perception that a bus would always turn up late. Anyway, we were a bit late (according to the time given in redBus) by the time the bus got out of CMBT. 23:00hrs and we'd hit the highway. Very comfortable seats, no movie, clean interiors, AC vents with direction and flow control, well mannered driver, very low NVH levels - all in all, a very good ride. Hopped off at Madiwala at 04:10hrs. At night I'd observed the bus cruise at 85-90kmph (according to my GPS) for a considerable distance, until I slept off.

Highly recommend both these operators
Old 10th January 2011, 21:45   #610
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Ernakulam KeSRTC

Travelled from Bangalore to Ernakulam by KeSRTC Thiruvalla super deluxe bus (6.15 Dep from Satellite). My boarding point was Bommanahalli. By 6.30, the conductor called on my cell and informed that the bus is little late. He also requested me to come to the bus stop before elevated highway so that we can take the elevated flyover to Electronic city.

Conductor again called at 7pm and informed that they will reach at 7.15. We boarded the bus at sharp 7.15pm and took the elevated highway. Stopped at Krishnagiri Uttahaih (?) at 8.30pm. The hotel seems to be an ok type though they renovated the toilets and tarred the parking ground. Finally the bus reached Kaloor at 5.15am with 35 mins break for dinner, 20 mins diesel halt at Palakkad.

Very comfortable journey and the staff were very good. The conductor was so good that no issues with dropping at a no stop place. He also helped a lady passenger who needed to go to Alwaye bus station. He went with the lady to an auto at about 75m distance, negotiated, noted auto reggn number and driver phone number before sending the lady.

7.15-Silk board, 11.05-Salem Byepass, 2.30-2.50 Palakkad, 5.15-Kaloor.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:23   #611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo Multi Axle to Mercedes via Isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
way instead of reaching the office on time we finally reached somewhere near Kavali at around 4 in the morning to change over to the other bus which was a battered & bruised Mercedes. Ended up reaching Chennai at around 8.30 in the morning. That was my first trip on Kaleswari and is going to be the last trip as well. I dont want to do another "Looking London - Talking Tokyo" trip.
Make sure you give them the appropriate rating on redbus site for others' benefit.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:37   #612
BANNED

How can less than 18 month Merc buses end up "battered and bruised"? Speaks volumes of their maintenance schedules.
Old 11th January 2011, 09:37   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Very comfortable journey and the staff were very good. The conductor was so good that no issues with dropping at a no stop place. He also helped a lady passenger who needed to go to Alwaye bus station. He went with the lady to an auto at about 75m distance, negotiated, noted auto reggn number and driver phone number before sending the lady.

7.15-Silk board, 11.05-Salem Byepass, 2.30-2.50 Palakkad, 5.15-Kaloor.
Let his tribe increase. Good that you highlighted the good deeds, we always want to point the bad things but fail to acknowledge the good most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Make sure you give them the appropriate rating on redbus site for others' benefit.
I tried giving feedback for the specific ticket id but strangely was informed I have already given my feedback for the ticket not sure how. Nevertheless sent a feedback separately with the transaction id etc detailing what happened. Have not got a reply yet so am not sure if redbus has taken it seriously. Would give them some time if nothing happens I would not use their services any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How can less than 18 month Merc buses end up "battered and bruised"? Speaks volumes of their maintenance schedules.
The windshield was cracked, with metal paste (the one applied while tinkering) applied on the passenger entry side to hold it together. My thigh support lever was missing. The bus was certainly not maintained well.
Old 11th January 2011, 22:02   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Quite a gentlemanly gesture from a bus conductor. I hope the guys on route buses in Kerala display atleast half of the courtesy shown by that conductor.
Old 12th January 2011, 01:35   #615
BANNED

Quote:

Other than that I know that my home state operator, OSRTC also operates a few sleeper cum seater services.

In Andhra many private operators used to offer sleeper services . The reason why it was withdrawn was because people started using the services for prostitution . Instead of renting rooms in unsafe hotels and due to fear of police raids ,people started using the sleeper buses . The sleeper buses had "family " accomodations I believe .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks