Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 00:00   #76
BHPian

Hi Binaiks

Any idea what time is the departure at Trichur of the first AC bus to BLR which starts from there (not buses coming from TRV or Kottayam or EKM).

I checked the tmings of the new Airavat volvo departing at 1830 from Ernakulam. Timings are too optimistic as the same bus is shown deperating Trichur at 1940 on their website (1 hr 10 min on a Volvo at that time of the evening is next to impossible).

Hopefully I will be able to break the 7 AM arrival barrier after 3 long years (last time I did it was on a Shama Volvo).

Cheers
Old 10th May 2009, 10:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Any idea what time is the departure at Trichur of the first AC bus to BLR which starts from there (not buses coming from TRV or Kottayam or EKM).
The first AC bus starting from TSR is at 2000, and second is at 2100. There are only two buses starting from there. The first AC bus towards Bangalore from TSR is at 1730 - that comes from Pala. The second is at 1930 (comes from Kottayam). The Trivandrum-BGLR Volvo (Kerala SRTC) would reach TSR at 2130 (this guy would reach BGLR before 0600).

The bus that starts at 2000 from TSR would reach Madiwala by about 0500, and Majestic - max - by 0600. The one at 2100 would reach Majestic by 0630~0700.

Quote:
I checked the tmings of the new Airavat volvo departing at 1830 from Ernakulam. Timings are too optimistic as the same bus is shown deperating Trichur at 1940 on their website (1 hr 10 min on a Volvo at that time of the evening is next to impossible).
Never ever look at intermediate timings for a clue about speed. The Airavat would not reach TSR anytime before 2000 - for sure. However, the 0430 arrival at Bangalore is very much possible. A normal TATA Globus that leaves TSR at 2000 would reach BGLR by 0500. So a Volvo can easily arrive by 0430. (Of course, it depends on drivers, and Airavat guys are mostly lethargic).
Old 10th May 2009, 21:43   #78
BHPian

Thanks Binaiks

I booked both the onward and return from the Majestic Bus stand. Now that Kerala RTC is computerised it is great help and you can book the return also 21 days out. The counter is hardly crowded and I didnt have any problems at all (booked the 1930 AC from BLR and 2000 AC from Trichur). Let us see how it goes.... Only issue is I have a long commute form Alwaye, but I have had enough of the antics of the various private operators and the one time I tried Karnataka RTC from Ernakulam - no boarding at Alwaye- (1800 Rajahamsa via PGT), the crew had 4 breaks and took 15 hours to reach Majestic from EKM

By the way it is in the newspapers today that the Kerala RTC is defintely going to introduce internet booking by the end of this month. So things are slowly getting better for Kerala RTC. About time....
Old 11th May 2009, 09:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I booked both the onward and return from the Majestic Bus stand. Now that Kerala RTC is computerised it is great help and you can book the return also 21 days out. The counter is hardly crowded and I didnt have any problems at all (booked the 1930 AC from BLR and 2000 AC from Trichur). Let us see how it goes.... Only issue is I have a long commute form Alwaye, but I have had enough of the antics of the various private operators and the one time I tried Karnataka RTC from Ernakulam - no boarding at Alwaye- (1800 Rajahamsa via PGT), the crew had 4 breaks and took 15 hours to reach Majestic from EKM
If you don't mind, May I know the date? I am travelling by the 2100 AC on May 17th from TSR. I had been to Majestic for reservation on Friday. Sadly, they suffered a network failure, and had to wait for over an hour to get my ticket. One gentleman who was standing right behind me wanted a ticket for the 1830 Kottayam AC, and by the time I reached the counter, it was already 1755. The counter crew then called for all passengers of 1830 to come ahead, and their tickets were quickly issued.

I belive your long commute from Aluva to TSR would be worth it, since KSRTC tends to reach here really early. On both of my past experiences, the 2000 AC was at Madiwala around 0500. (The first time it reached at 0430, and the second time at 0515). They usually take only one break - that is at 2345~2355 at a place called Perumanallur (near Avinashi).

Quote:
By the way it is in the newspapers today that the Kerala RTC is defintely going to introduce internet booking by the end of this month. So things are slowly getting better for Kerala RTC. About time....
Correctly said. I am looking forward for the booking to begin. There was a news a couple of week back that they are changing all the Globuses to Volvos over the coming months. Am looking forward for that too.

Kerala SRTC has a very strong passenger base here. The main reason is that their services are cheaper than that of Karnataka, and staff are mostly better behaved. Plus the advantage of having a Malayalam speaking staff, who play malayalam music and movies too is working for them.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:03   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Correctly said. I am looking forward for the booking to begin. There was a news a couple of week back that they are changing all the Globuses to Volvos over the coming months. Am looking forward for that too.

Kerala SRTC has a very strong passenger base here. The main reason is that their services are cheaper than that of Karnataka, and staff are mostly better behaved. Plus the advantage of having a Malayalam speaking staff, who play malayalam music and movies too is working for them.
I would certainly be looking forward to this. I just hope they extend their services to places such as Kottayam and Adoor, and not just limit themselves to places such as Ekm, Trichur etc. After all, Keralalites in Bangalore dont belong to the latter places alone.

Back to my experience with Shama : I wanted a ticket on their Volvo going to Mundakkayam on Thursday, but it seems they have a shortage of buses, and so no Volvo on that route! I dont understand how. Or is it possible that they have diverted this bus to cover their Volvo on the Ekm route which met with an accident?
Old 11th May 2009, 13:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I would certainly be looking forward to this. I just hope they extend their services to places such as Kottayam and Adoor, and not just limit themselves to places such as Ekm, Trichur etc. After all, Keralalites in Bangalore dont belong to the latter places alone.
I hope you are aware of the fact that KSRTC does operate an AC service to Kottayam and one to Pala? It had services to Kottarakkara, which was withdrawn due to very bad response.

The Pala service leaves Majestic at 1300 and arrives Pala by 6 AM. This bus goes via Mysore-Sulthan Bathery-Kozhikode-Thrissur-Moovattupuzha

The Kottayam one is at 1830, goes via Hosur-Salem-Thrissur.

The Kottarakkara AC bus was downgraded to "Super Deluxe" six months back due to poor performance. I doubt if KSRTC would be ready to try that route again.

All the current AC buses are slated to be upgraded to Volvo in the coming months, according to news reports. Wait to that

Quote:
Back to my experience with Shama : I wanted a ticket on their Volvo going to Mundakkayam on Thursday, but it seems they have a shortage of buses, and so no Volvo on that route! I dont understand how. Or is it possible that they have diverted this bus to cover their Volvo on the Ekm route which met with an accident?
Perhaps, Yes! The Volvo that was damaged in the accident was heading to Pathanamthitta. Perhaps the Mundakkayam route is returning less revenue to Shama, that they decided to cannibalise the bus on that route.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

iF Main Central Road(MC Road,kerala) development is completed with proper by-passes ,we can expect more services via this route.as of now ,Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29:
@benbsb29:I read somewhere a shama volvo met with accident.I guess this volvo was the one starting from kanjirappilli.So ,that may be why they said no service.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:58   #83
BHPian

The concept of "nationalized route" is one of the biggest humbug of the buro-crazy. The norm was to allow "overlap" for 5 km or so, but the commie govt was going to change it to ZERO, practically preventing even CROSSING the road.

It is past time we made a long distance bus service policy, and brought these operators into a legal framework. The problem with that is, the tendency to make the rules very restrictive, and anti-operator.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:13   #84
BANNED

@dileepKS, it is still a problem. I would would not want to get into a bus which stops every few minutes, gets into every town and with passengers frequently getting on and off. I will feel very insecure in such a vehicle, while travelling overnight.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:25   #85
BHPian

Hi Binaiks
I am travelling much later. Only thing is as Alwaye KSRTC does not have a reservation counter, I thought I might as well finish the job here. There was a network failure while i booked as well, but it was only for 10 minutes and there was no one in the que as I went around noon...

Cheers
Old 12th May 2009, 16:42   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@dileepKS, it is still a problem. I would would not want to get into a bus which stops every few minutes, gets into every town and with passengers frequently getting on and off. I will feel very insecure in such a vehicle, while travelling overnight.
There is nothing that prevents the govt from issuing permits to qualified operators to run specified routes, for example:

"To run a service originating at Ernakulam, with en-route pickup from Aluva and Angamaly, terminating at Bangalore".

The policy in brief could be:

1. Taxes and levies to be paid at par with what they pay currently. Or even a bit more.
2. Timings at the request of the operator, with check for recommended speed.
3. No need to use official bus stands.
4. Operators need to qualify with:
- At least X number of busses owned/leased, with adequate spares
- Offices with specified conveniences at the terminal points. Conveniences include boarding bays, toilets, drinking water, waiting area etc.
- Designated parking space for the busses.

For this, some attitude changes should come:

1. Capital is not public enemy No 1.
2. The state RTC should compete with the private operators. They don't need market protection.
Old 12th May 2009, 20:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
There is nothing that prevents the govt from issuing permits to qualified operators to run specified routes, for example:

"To run a service originating at Ernakulam, with en-route pickup from Aluva and Angamaly, terminating at Bangalore".
Interstate routes are best operated by government companies. Given the history of shady operations among private operators, I would say this is a strict no no. There is NO reason why the government should open up interstate routes to private operators.

The current kind of services provided by private "scheduled stage carriages" within the state itself is a huge deterrent for anybody to demand more private buses. The haphazard driving, high-handed behaviour and absolute disrespect to passengers are enough reasons for the government not to consider them anywhere.

The 'strike for no reason' attitude also is another deterrent. No more private buses please. I completely agree with the current policy of the government, and wish that they increase the number of buses - or introduce new services - in order to cover all routes that are currently operated by private operators. I would advocate more nationalisation, and no more de-nationalisation.

Inter-state routes operated by private operators typically mean paying road tax for all the states involved on the way, plus paying passenger tax. Current interstate private operations are in violation of all norms. This needs to controlled at the earliest.
Old 12th May 2009, 20:52   #88
BANNED

I frequently travel Kannur - Kozhikode, and stick to KSRTC. 18 months of 3 times a month travel, and not a single instance of travel by private bus. For about 9 months during 2006, had to travel Payyannur / Iritty - Kannur. Except Irity - Kannur, where KSRTC is absent, always used KSRTC.

Nowadays, stick to train - mostly for expense and comfort reasons. Two hours of standing in a crowded sleeper coach is far more comfortable than 3 hours of sitting in the middle of a 2x3 seater private bus.

There are quite a few authorised private buses in Mangalore - Kannur - Kozhikode sector. They are, however, very comfortable, and drive sanely. (Probably, only the buses I used to frequent were like that).

DileepKS, all the requirements of the "policy" you ask already exist. For routes above 80 KM (one way), awarding of permits is based on a point system. More the number of buses an operator has, more points he gets. And for every 4 buses, they can keep one bus, TAX FREE, as a spare bus. AFAICT, none of the operators in Kerala has a spare bus.

It is the use of official bus stands which is creating problems. The bus stands are owned and operated by local authorities (panchayaths, municipalities, etc.) en route, and they will raise a hue and cry about "loss of toll" for using the bus stands. Of course, the complaint, officially, would be about passenger convenience. And what is the point in having a "parking space", if they are compelled to use govt. bus stand? Bus stands are meant for that - parking buses when they are not running.
Old 12th May 2009, 20:56   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The current kind of services provided by private "scheduled stage carriages" within the state itself is a huge deterrent for anybody to demand more private buses. The haphazard driving, high-handed behaviour and absolute disrespect to passengers are enough reasons for the government not to consider them anywhere.
While i certainly am not supporting the private operators, the public servants and their driving skills are certanly no better. They throw all caution to the wind once they sit atop their thrones. Its no wonder the red KSRTCs are called killer buses.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While i certainly am not supporting the private operators, the public servants and their driving skills are certanly no better. They throw all caution to the wind once they sit atop their thrones. Its no wonder the red KSRTCs are called killer buses.
You are right in the opinion about KSRTC drivers. However, I find them far more disciplined that most private drivers. One reason I could find is that KSRTC drivers are better trained and they know their job far better than private operators. I've seen "kids" driving private buses, ripping off at 75-80kmph on narrow roads. KSRTC drivers, as far as I have seen, have better control on their vehicles, and they tend to slow down on narrow roads atleast (this is my personal opinion).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks