Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 12:35   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Delayed response. Did explore these options. The PK Travels is still running and the bus looked to be in decent shape. It leaves Calicut at 8pm via the route mentioned above, but reaches Bangalore only by 6.30-7am. That is way to long. Better option would be the Kochi-Clt-Bangalore Kallada MultiAxle Volvo which leaves by 10:30-10:45 PM and reaches by 7-7.30 (But the day I took it, it reached Kalasipalayam itself only by 8). Golden also has the Volvo on the route, but not sure of the timings.
Golden has withdrawn. They operate that Volvo on the Bangalore-Kannur-Cherupuzha route now. Only PK, Kallada and KaSRTC offer AC buses on that route now.

I normally see that Kallada bus near Lalbagh around 0730 on most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In short after making 3 bus journeys in the last week by Kallada[after a long gap. Always used to take the train or drive in the last 2-3 years], I came away impressed with them-Right from booking, the bus, the driving. Will definitely continue to use Kallada
I am actually excited seeing so many good reviews of Kallada. The owner himself was excited when he heard of good reviews - hope they'd keep up the good show.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:44   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I am actually excited seeing so many good reviews of Kallada. The owner himself was excited when he heard of good reviews - hope they'd keep up the good show.
If Kallada can reduce the delay at start/pickup points, its always a good option for those interested in good sleep.

Sadly, sometimes, the bus arrives at Madiwala 20-30 mins late, and takes another 30 minutes minimum to complete boarding process.

Hope Mr. Kallada will look into speeding up this boarding experience.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:55   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
If Kallada can reduce the delay at start/pickup points, its always a good option for those interested in good sleep.

Sadly, sometimes, the bus arrives at Madiwala 20-30 mins late, and takes another 30 minutes minimum to complete boarding process.

Very True. I have been told that they are looking at ways to reduce the time taken for the boarding process. In this direction, they've already shifted boarding of some buses to their second office in Madiwala - thereby dividing the load at both the offices.
Old 31st January 2013, 13:56   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Quote:
Very True. I have been told that they are looking at ways to reduce the time taken for the boarding process. In this direction, they've already shifted boarding of some buses to their second office in Madiwala - thereby dividing the load at both the offices.
I think the shifting is helping. The Blr-Clt-Ekm Bus starts from their 2nd office in the Staples Store complex. They have a pickup at the main office at 7.45. Both times I went the pickup came on time. It left by 8pm, reached the other office by 8.10 pm. The bus then left as soon as everyone boarded (Before 8:30) both times.

Another thing I liked was the phone booking, where I got an SMS as soon as they did the booking in the system. Payment needs to be done just before boarding. (Dont know if it is a common practice now. But I liked the process) The website booking always shows seats towards the end. In Phone booking there is a good chance you can get a seat towards the front.

BTW: One thing I did not like was their stopping for a break around 10:30-11 itself in a small place close to Channapatna. They dont stop anywhere else after this. Also they place they stop has dirty makeshift toilets. This is an issue with all operators, but if would be good if they stop at a better place atleast for their premium services.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st January 2013 at 14:00. Reason: Additional Content
Old 1st February 2013, 12:43   #2555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This has been a good move. There is more ease in parking our vehicle as well when going to see off somebody. Also, reduced crowds at the office make for a better experience.
Old 1st February 2013, 20:44   #2556
BHPian

Diverting the topic away from the BLR-KL route, I am looking for some feedback on Swagatam Buses operating on the Delhi Manali route. Volvo with individual LCD's is what they are providing. Can somebody throw some light on how good/bad they are.
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:26   #2557
BHPian

There is a separate thread on North Indian bus travel in this forum itself. Suggest you repost it there to get quicker replies as there are quite a few members who do take bus services in the North. From my limited knowledge, I thought HPTDC (Himachal Tourism) has fairly good servces to Manali???

Back to Bangalore, visited SRS travel website and they are announcing launch of Bangalore Jodhpur and Bangalore Rajkot services using B11Rs shortly. The way things are going, Bangalore Delhi is not too far away!!!
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:01   #2558
BHPian

Took PK travels 8.30PM Isuzu bus Bangalore to Calicut. The bus left madivala by 8.45PM and reached Kalishipalyam by 9.30. After a good 1 hr stoppage which included passenger boarding and parcel loading left Kalishipalya by 10.45 PM. The bus was very clean and excellent shape. They provide water bottles and shawl. The crew were very friendly and courteous. They take the virajpet-->Iritty-->Thallassery route. We reached Calicut bus stand by 8.15 AM.
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:05   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
There is a separate thread on North Indian bus travel in this forum itself. Suggest you repost it there to get quicker replies as there are quite a few members who do take bus services in the North. From my limited knowledge, I thought HPTDC (Himachal Tourism) has fairly good servces to Manali???
Thanks TKMCE, found the post, will put it up there.

You are correct, HPTDC seems to be the best bet as per reviews of travellers on that segment is concerned. Swagatam's buses look swanky & spanky, with personalised LCD's and sleeperettes. No specific reviews on this service, hence the enquiry.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:02   #2560
BHPian

Review of my recent trip to Chennai from Bangalore

Onward 30 Jan 2013 by Roadlink Volvo B7R, Departure 11 PM from Madiwala

Reached Madiwala around 1040 PM and the bus was already parked there. Boarding commenced at 1045 and we left at sharp 11 PM. Bus was almost full and as usual, was clean and well maintained. Waited for ~10 mins on the opposite side of the road for some last minute pax and departed from Madiwala at 1110 PM. Bus did not take the elevated road and we had some massive traffic at the Karnataka - TN border. Finally crossed Hosur at 0020 hours post which I slept off. Bus was driven well and sedately with no sudden braking or rash maneuvers. Reached Koyambedu around 5 AM. AC was maintained throughout at very comfortable 22 degrees. Only thing not good about the journey was that the bus stopped at a fuel station ~5 mins before Koyambedu for ~20 minutes with the lights turned on.

Return 31 Jan 2013 by Parveen Volvo B7R, Departure 11 PM from Koyambedu

"Lalbagh Express" as the bus was called was parked at the bus stand when I walked in at 1030 PM. Office staff were courteous and boarding commenced by 1050 PM. Bus was an old B7R with ~6.6 lacs kms on the odo and showing signs of ageing. Seats were not very clean and the luggage racks / carpets were well beyond expiry date ! Waited for some passengers and finally departed around 1120 PM. Very sedate driving and was able to sleep very well. Bus appeared to be well maintained and despite the ageing interiors, there were no creaking or rattling sounds. Dropped off at Madiwala around 530 AM.

On the whole, very comfortable journey on both legs and will not hesitate in taking either of these operators again, especially considering the fares which were a good 100-200 bucks cheaper than most operators, including those operating Ashok Leyland ACs on this route and the courteous attitude of the office staff and the crew.

Last edited by aroonanand : 5th February 2013 at 17:04. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 5th February 2013, 18:20   #2561
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Review of my recent trip to Chennai from Bangalore

Onward 30 Jan 2013 by Roadlink Volvo B7R, Departure 11 PM from Madiwala

Return 31 Jan 2013 by Parveen Volvo B7R, Departure 11 PM from Koyambedu

On the whole, very comfortable journey on both legs and will not hesitate in taking either of these operators again, especially considering the fares which were a good 100-200 bucks cheaper than most operators, including those operating Ashok Leyland ACs on this route and the courteous attitude of the office staff and the crew.
- these are the 'decently-fast/comfortable/reliable but cheap' operators in this route, both operators leave at sharp 11PM (koyambedu & madiwala)
- my personal favourite is roadlink, since he takes 4.5 to 5 hrs consistently in both directions (parveen takes 5 to 5.5 hrs) ; the interiors and sheets are cleaner in roadlink & the biggest advantage is that roadlink has extensive pickup/drop points in chennai city (does not start or terminate at koyambedu)
Old 5th February 2013, 19:27   #2562
BHPian

Any reviews / recommendations on Hyderabad to Chennai APSRTC Volvo? It would be greatly appreciated as I need to travel on this route every weekend.
Old 5th February 2013, 19:44   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Any reviews / recommendations on Hyderabad to Chennai APSRTC Volvo? It would be greatly appreciated as I need to travel on this route every weekend.
Are you specific with APSRTC? they are the slowest Volvos in this sector. The best volvos in this sectors are

1: Dhanunjaya Travels
2: Kesineni Travels 2 services
3: Orange Travels
4: Parveen Travels
5: Kaveri Travels
6: SRM Travels

I have used Bharati, Omer and SVR but very poor ratings from my end. VRL used to be there i am not sure if this still runs.
Old 5th February 2013, 19:49   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
...Onward 30 Jan 2013 by Roadlink Volvo B7R, Departure 11 PM from Madiwala...

Reached Koyambedu around 5 AM.
I'd say they're a little late. They used to drop me at Guindy before 4 o'clock. Perhaps they mellowed down a bit, or rather, had to, because of the choc-a-block traffic between Madiwala and Hosur, and also the congestion on the Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch caused by the 6-laning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
- these are the 'decently-fast/comfortable/reliable but cheap' operators in this route, both operators leave at sharp 11PM (koyambedu & madiwala)
- my personal favourite is roadlink, since he takes 4.5 to 5 hrs consistently in both directions (parveen takes 5 to 5.5 hrs) ; the interiors and sheets are cleaner in roadlink & the biggest advantage is that roadlink has extensive pickup/drop points in chennai city (does not start or terminate at koyambedu)
+1 to that! Roadlink starts their service from Adyar, near the Telephone Exchange. If at all they lose time at the pick-up point, they make up for it enroute. The crew is usually polite. The best part about Roadlink is that they are very professional all along.
Old 5th February 2013, 19:51   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Are you specific with APSRTC? they are the slowest Volvos in this sector. The best volvos in this sectors are

1: Dhanunjaya Travels
2: Kesineni Travels 2 services
3: Orange Travels
4: Parveen Travels
5: Kaveri Travels
6: SRM Travels

I have used Bharati, Omer and SVR but very poor ratings from my end. VRL used to be there i am not sure if this still runs.
Thanks for your reply venki.bala, I am traveling for the first time and thought APSRTC will be similar like KaSRTC (Bangalore - Chennai) and hence booked the tickets. I have traveled with Kesineni before but none of the other. Are these listed based on the ranking? Which is preferred?

Most Viewed