Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 16:36   #3466
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

For those travelling to Rajasthan in winter holidays, Rajasthan roadways (RSRTC) operates excellent volvo buses on all major routes within Rajasthan and to neighbouring states and cities. Between Delhi and Jaipur, it operates about 22 vovlo bus services daily in addition to deluxe and other normal buses.
You can book tickets online also on its site (http://rsrtc.rajasthan.gov.in/). They also have a mobile app for the same but i have never tried it myself.
bon voyage.
Old 17th December 2014, 17:08   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Very few good adyar options though kpn does a van pickup from there.

I also see Greenline buses parked in the road that goes down from the Youth Hostel (lane next to the periyapalayam amman temple). But their website only gives me the option to book bangalore - chennai and not chennai - bangalore (!!!). No idea of their quality.

The best for you would be to board KPN at Guindy (near the Kathipara Junction) - that puts you almost on the poonamallee high road, and on your way to bangalore. Guindy is not more than 20 minutes from Adyar with no traffic.
Old 25th December 2014, 03:39   #3468
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
KeSRTC planning to start double decker buses on long distance routes

KOCHI: To enhance efficiency on inter-state transportation routes in the state, the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) has planned to introduce double-decker buses on long-distance circuits.
KSRTC officials have started negotiating with companies such as Volvo and Scania, which have introduced a series of similar buses in several countries in the world, said KSRTC officials on Saturday.
The proposal for double-deckers has been put forward to the state government by the KSRTC after its MD Antony Chacko had made a study visit to Brazil, which is said to be home for the first Bus Transport Rapid System (BTRS) in the world.
“We have been inspired by Brazil’s transport system where double-decker buses are its part and parcel. That’s why such a proposal has been placed before the government. We have informed the government about the benefits of a similar system here more because of its cost-effectiveness,” said Antony Chacko.
Negotiations are on with Scania and Volvo companies about the feasibility of introducing such a system here for the KSRTC, said Antony Chacko, adding that they were thinking of introducing quad-axle double-decker coaches as they are more sturdy and as most of the buses operating in the state are of tri-axles.
The bus will be able to accommodate 70 persons, with 17 seats on the bottom deck and 54 on the upper deck.
According to officials, government can save a lot of money as BTRS will cost only one tenth of the fund required for a metro rail system.
The KSRTC currently owns two double-deckers, one being operated on the Angamaly-Aluva route and the other run solely for tourism purposes in Thiruvananthapuram.
With a quaint style, however, the buses will attract tourists as well as natives, said the officials

Source

the "double decker formula" is the most ridiculous & childish idea that KeSRTC officials have come up with, to fill their pockets.
- these buses will not be fit for routes which have underpasses
- these buses will cause problems in cities which have overhead electric wires crossing roads
- imagine the per bus cost if volvo/scania are asked to "start making" these (how many buses can KeSRTC order ? 20 ? 30 ? definitely will result in very high cost price per bus)

KeSRTC "schemes" always smelt of foul-play but they were atleast dressed-up in some "beneficial to the masses" mumbo-jumbo with some ridiculous hyper-optimist revenue projection figures. But this one takes the cake - KeSRTC officials think we are all donkeys now (were monkeys earlier)

Instead of spending 100 rupees and repairing a malfunctioning valve, what if you try to build a totally new pipeline connection from the overhead tank to your bathroom ? thats what these guys are doing to the basic need of state-owned public transport - rather than identify and fix actual issues, they are going behind fantasies, and expect the public to think they are really trying to fix the "beyond-ICU-beyond-coma" corporation

Last edited by venkyhere : 25th December 2014 at 03:41.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 10:28   #3469
Senior - BHPian

Some years back when I was not a Team BHP member, I had seen tri- axle LHD double decker buses brought for testing purpose in Pune. Parked next to a old generation VOLVO B7R. The bus was 80 cm taller than the Volvo, Lower deck floor level was at same level as the luggage compartment in current buses. On talking to people with the vehicles they said that the bus had floor to ceiling height at 6'2" instead of 6'10" in regular buses on both decks. There was small luggage compartment in area between engine and upper deck floor.
Net searched pic just for illustration. https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2308/2...2c031a0bab.jpg
Rahul
Old 17th January 2015, 15:40   #3470
BHPian

With Petrol and Diesel prices falling, are we seeing a fall in bus fares as well? With Interest rates also set to fall, costs of acquiring and running a bus fleet will fall for operators, which I am hoping will be passed on to end consumers?
Old 19th January 2015, 11:38   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaanveshi View Post
Any suggestions on a good B'lore-Chennai-B'lore Volvo service that enables boarding/alighting at Adyar?

Old reviews suggest Roadlink is a good option but any updates on the current situation would be useful.
You can try Parveen travels. They have boarding at Adyar. But i think they run a Mercedes Benz in this route and not volvo.
Old 19th January 2015, 19:41   #3472
BHPian

Friends, any recommended service from Bangalore to Kollam? I would take service after 5 30pm as I would land in Airport by 4pm only.
Old 19th January 2015, 22:54   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Friends, any recommended service from Bangalore to Kollam? I would take service after 5 30pm as I would land in Airport by 4pm only.
Take Kallada G4, which starts from Madivala at 7.30pm. So far I have good experience with them.
Old 19th January 2015, 23:06   #3474
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
SRM's 7pm trivandrum volvo (the one via cbe/pkd , not the via madurai one) - renowned for sticking to the scheduled departure and arrival
Old 20th January 2015, 20:27   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Take Kallada G4, which starts from Madivala at 7.30pm. So far I have good experience with them.
Thanks kavu75

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
SRM's 7pm trivandrum volvo (the one via cbe/pkd , not the via madurai one) - renowned for sticking to the scheduled departure and arrival
Thanks venkyhere.

Any inputs on ETA at Kollam?
Old 21st January 2015, 21:48   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad

Thanks kavu75

Thanks venkyhere.

Any inputs on ETA at Kollam?
I remember seeing SRM near Kottiyam at 8am once. Usually it reaches Ernakulam by 4.30 am.
Old 25th January 2015, 15:25   #3477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Not anymore. Buses have aged badly (all thanks to their all out driving earlier) and are now known for frequent breakdowns. Kallada G4 is in a better shape.
Old 25th January 2015, 20:28   #3478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Not anymore. Buses have aged badly (all thanks to their all out driving earlier) and are now known for frequent breakdowns. Kallada G4 is in a better shape.

That said I would still vouch for SRM between Chennai ~ Thiruvalla service. I've been travelling in it quite frequently since last year and every time I found both to and fro service punctual than any other service providers between Chennai ~ Cochin. There were few times when pickup from Chennai was delayed more than an hour but believe me you'll get dropped ON time whilst it would've been more delayed at your drop point if it was anyone else. Also one thing to be noted is their driver pair had always remained the same and they are masters at their job.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 00:12   #3479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
?..There were few times when pickup from Chennai was delayed more than an hour but believe me you'll get dropped ON time whilst it would've been more delayed at your drop point if it was anyone else. Also one thing to be noted is their driver pair had always remained the same and they are masters at their job....

I'm not sure whether it's to be criticized positively or negatively. One hour late in departure but still on time is something unusual. Also praising drivers purely on the basis if driving fast is not right approach.
KPN have many middle aged drivers. They are in the job with KPN for decades and found them driving so sedate and smooth compared to younger drivers in Kallada / KTC etc.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 22:28   #3480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I'm not sure whether it's to be criticized positively or negatively. One hour late in departure but still on time is something unusual. Also praising drivers purely on the basis if driving fast is not right approach.
KPN have many middle aged drivers. They are in the job with KPN for decades and found them driving so sedate and smooth compared to younger drivers in Kallada / KTC etc.

Of course it is negatively, I only wanted to let all folks know that SRM in Chennai ~ Cochin route haven't started a sedate drive yet unlike the one from Bangalore and I wanted to mention that this attitude may be because of the same set of drivers who were / are rash.
Cheers!

Most Viewed