Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 18:42   #3766
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Hello.

2. Now, suppose, the BUS TURNS SIDEWAYS.

THE EXITS ON EITHER side, WHICH IS UP; will not help. Right. Actually, you will be out quickly, only by the VENTILATORS. TRY CRAWLING THROUGH THEM, FULLY JOLTED, HALF BLIND BY SMOKE, GROGGY. CANT EVEN IMAGINE THE VISUALS.

All factory built coaches have escape hatches on the roof. I have seen it in the new buses plying in Delhi. They also have designated windows that can be opened in an emergency. It is high time the same is introduced in the locally built buses, esp. the ones with fixed glass panes.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:47   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Soon after we crossed Hosur, heard a slight bang sound, the driver braked hard, there was severe burning smell of rubber all over and bus came to a sudden halt. Someone has crossed the road without looking for on coming vehicle and our bus had hit him. Ambulance came within 10 minutes and took him to hospital. Driver informed that he cannot continue the journey as he should report to police station.
That's sad that someone got hit. Appreciate the driver at least for stopping and saying that he has to report to police.
Old 24th March 2017, 06:02   #3768
Senior - BHPian

Traveled in the Asian Xpress 10PM service (introduced recently in addition to the 11PM one) from Bangalore to Chennai last night.

It seems like they have a return from Velachery at 4:15AM the next morning. Hence they had to rush to get there as soon as possible in addition to filling up of diesel in Chennai.

It was driven rashly. A lot of late swerves into gaps between two vehicles, a lot of horn honking etc. The was precisely the reason I avoided the 10PM Hebron service. It seems any other operator is no different. If they have to maintain the schedule, this is how they have to operate. This guy actually overtook Hebron after SriPerumbudur

I think I will stick to the 11PM service. The roads are less crowded at that point and they are able to drive sanely while being able to stick to the schedule.

Started at 10PM from Madiwala and reached CMBT at 3:30 AM. Was dropped at Tidel Park at 3:45 AM. The driver was talking about asking them to increase the speed lock to 120 instead of the current 100 kmph to be able to cover distance faster. The owner was complaining of more diesel being consumed in this run.

Somebody ought to tell them, they are trying to outwit physics and it is not possible
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 11:15   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
TVs need to be booked seperately. Operators levy a seperate charge for carrying the TV. It is generally around the price of an adult ticket. You need to carry the original bill along with it, and the passenger should also travel in the same bus. I am not sure if they will carry TVs in Sleepers - generally they are kept in luggage holds of Volvo/Scania buses.
Thanks for the update. Talked with the KPN customer service, they were not able to give exact information and kept on forwarding call to some other in their office. Didn't want to risk, so carried in car finally.
Old 29th March 2017, 13:41   #3770
BHPian

Require suggestions for A/C sleeper services between Chennai and Cooimbatore. Too many newer options and I am not aware of the quality of these services.

Names like Swamy Ayappa, SPG, KRC and the likes. Pretty confused.

Thanks!
Old 29th March 2017, 15:25   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Require suggestions for A/C sleeper services between Chennai and Cooimbatore. Too many newer options and I am not aware of the quality of these services.

Names like Swamy Ayappa, SPG, KRC and the likes. Pretty confused.

Thanks!
I am assuming you are talking about overnight trips. KPN has Mercedes Sleeper from Koyambedu at 8:15 PM and 10:30 PM. The former is preferred by me, because even in case of any delay, i still reach before breakfast time.
Old 29th March 2017, 17:47   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I am assuming you are talking about overnight trips. KPN has Mercedes Sleeper from Koyambedu at 8:15 PM and 10:30 PM. The former is preferred by me, because even in case of any delay, i still reach before breakfast time.
Isn't the one at 8:15 heading to Cochin? Ive seen this when I take Kallada to Kerala. If yes, then will they drop you in City? I thought all Kerala bound buses will drop you in L&T byepass.

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2017, 18:12   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Isn't the one at 8:15 heading to Cochin? Ive seen this when I take Kallada to Kerala. If yes, then will they drop you in City? I thought all Kerala bound buses will drop you in L&T byepass.

Cheers!
You are right. The final destination is Cochin. It stops at Coimbatore on most days.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:22   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
The KPN Mercedes Sleeper had very poor reviews on Redbus - leaking water from ac ducts and unhygeinic conditions. So ditched that.

Swamy Ayappa travels had good ratings. Took the plunge and booked it off.

The bus was extremely clean, smelt of agarbati from the drivers cabin and sheets and curtains were all clean.

The AC was kept at 22C and though cold, it was brilliant for the chennai heat.

I had requested the staff to inform me if they stopped for a rest room break as I was traveling with my mom, and the staff did the same at around 1AM.

The staff were very polite and were quite well kempt.

The bus left CMBT (At the Parking lot next to the Police Station) at 9:05 PM and we reached Coimbatore Gandhipuram at 6:05 AM.

All in all a highly recommended service.
sai_ace is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:12   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Swamy Ayappa travels had good ratings. Took the plunge and booked it off.

All in all a highly recommended service.
Thanks for the review - I recently took Dreamliner Travels from Coimbatore to Bangalore AC Sleeper (again a new operator like Swamy Ayappa - had very good ratings and gave more flexibility in terms of drop off points) and had a pleasant journey too. Good to see these new operators offer quality services and flexibility that opens up options out of the mainstray players (KPN, Kallada, KaSRTC). Remains to be seen how long they are able to sustain. Regulars on Chennai - Bangalore used to love Roadlink till it was sold off / rebranded as Aditya Travels some time back and the quality did take a hit after that.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:26   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Thanks for the review - I recently took Dreamliner Travels from Coimbatore to Bangalore AC Sleeper (again a new operator like Swamy Ayappa - had very good ratings and gave more flexibility in terms of drop off points) and had a pleasant journey too. Good to see these new operators offer quality services and flexibility that opens up options out of the mainstray players (KPN, Kallada, KaSRTC). Remains to be seen how long they are able to sustain. Regulars on Chennai - Bangalore used to love Roadlink till it was sold off / rebranded as Aditya Travels some time back and the quality did take a hit after that.
Chennai-Bangalore route sees very fierce competition, and operators are foced to perform better, or perish. IN the olden days, shady guys like Sangita ruled the roost in this route. Now you have efficient guys like Asian Xpress, Hebron and Parveen ruling the sector in the seater segment. Old timers like KPN had to pull out most of their services.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 11:47   #3777
BHPian

Disclaimer : I am not related to SRS travels in any manner, sharing their pic here only with an intention to update fellow travellers/BHPians. Moderators can take down the post if found inappropriate.

SRS travels, Bangalore continues it's spree of launching super long haul routes. They are now upto introducing Cochin--Pune--Mumbai direct service by SCANIA multiaxle via Mangalore-Ankola-Hubli ( 1360 kms ) and Bangalore--Raipur via Hyderabad--Nagpur ( 1370 kms ) by a SCANIA multiaxle again. Not sure if these are extensions of existing Mangalore-Pune-Mumbai and Bangalore-Nagpur Scania services respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-33008769824_590749cb9d_o.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 18:00   #3778
BHPian

Travelled in Kallada G4 Multi Axle Scania 8 45PM schedule from Trivandrum to Banglore yesterday. The bus arrived at pickup point by 850 PM and started by 915 PM. Driving was not rash and no much honking. Though the scheduled arrival time at Madiwala is 630 AM, we arrived by 830 AM only. I think the schedule timings of Orange travels is more realistic.

Last edited by ontheroad : 6th April 2017 at 18:02.
Old 7th April 2017, 17:09   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
[b]SRS travels, Bangalore continues it's spree of launching super long haul routes. They are now upto introducing Cochin--Pune--Mumbai direct service by SCANIA multiaxle via Mangalore-Ankola-Hubli ( 1360 kms ) and Bangalore--Raipur via Hyderabad--Nagpur ( 1370 kms ) by a SCANIA multiaxle again. Not sure if these are extensions of existing Mangalore-Pune-Mumbai and Bangalore-Nagpur Scania services respectively.
Lots of memories for me . In the early 1990s I used to do Trivandrum-Kochi-Bangalore- Pune once a year by bus. Air fares were exhorbitant( not a joke) you can fly cheaper now - 25 years later- as there was mainly Indian Airlines. The only direct train from Trivandrum to Pune was the "Jayanthi Janatha Express" which took an agonising 42 hours then in the longest possible route imaginable - Palakkad - Coimbatore- Renigunta- Guntakkal- Wadi- Sholapur- Daund. Tickets were almost impossible to get as well during peak times (no Tatkal then),

So at short notice bus as the only option. There were about four operators on the Kochi-Bangalore route who used to offer a connection service to Mumbai. Operators like SB, Indira Travels , NS-RPD and Sharma. I used to take Sharma which had their office in the Grand Hotel complex at MG Road. No Volvos then- the buses were non AC "2 x 2 push back services". The bus left at 1830 from Kochi reaching Bangalore at around 7 AM. The connecting bus was at 0830. It was a "guaranteed connection" so if the Kochi Bangalore bus was delayed, the bus to Mumbai would be held for the Kochi/Thrissur passengers. The bus would reach Pune around 4.30 AM in the morning and the drop was at Hotel Natraj at Swargate. Most of the passengers were to Mumbai, many taking connecting flights to the Middle East .

Those days Sharma Transports were the number 1 operator in South India.
TKMCE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 13:55   #3780
BHPian

Kesineni travels permanently stops its operations from yesterday.
http://m.greatandhra.com/politics/go...sed-81132.html

Most Viewed