Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2005, 10:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

For a few minutes more........was it worth it?

Spent last night on a Volvo bus from Cochin. Impressive beast - strong ac, lovely throb of the six? cyl diesel engine - last time I heard something like this was in my friends BMW 530d.

Was sitting in seat No 1 above the driver. It was scary, his coming up behind cars breaking hard, watching the passegners looking like scared rabbits about to be run down. The lateral forces experienced meant that he was pulling in and out of lanes violently. He must have been in Imola today. I closed my eyes and visualised the Gforce meter.

Also experienced the "torque" bounce as he shifted as if he had an SMG box - rev- declutch - engage- let in clutch - thump ...and so on. The Volvo's powerful acceleration and brakes made up for his inadequacy

Now to the topic line...at Attibele checkpint outside Bangalore, he moved to the other lane of the dual highway (contraflow) to avoid the checkpoint queues. At the junction, a pedestrian leant forward to look for traffici coming the normal way. Who would expect a bus to come from the wrong side and the windscreen hit him and crazed. Sitting where I was, I heard a sickening dull thud. The driver, drove on and stopped. The cleaner investigated and reported back. The driver seemed calm but down - can't imagine what was going on in his mind. I lent my phone to him to call the company and deploy another bus. Meanwile, a cop came and started abusing him and seized the bus. He would not let the passengers wait on it till the relief bus came.

I decided that it would take too much time. I flagged down a taxi returning back and got home. A month ago, a friend of mine lost his fiancee in a similar circumstance when a bus hit her scooter. Just wanted to get it off my chest having both sides - the shock of the impact and the grief of the victim.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th October 2023 at 23:46.
Old 9th May 2005, 10:44   #2
BHPian

darn bad ... ths is awful.... there was a similar incident in news ... there was this newly married couple ... returning from thane to mumbai...... well something happened and the wife fell of and a truck ran over her... they husband was so disturbed he committed suicide.... it was over a just married couple ...finished
Old 9th May 2005, 10:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats really bad. What I think is that the B7R is a little more advanced in its pace for drivers in our country. Proof: Most of the Volvos these days I see have dents, patches, infact I have travelled in a Volvo with complete bashed up front and dense black smoke coming out from the exhaust. Its so easy and effortless that drivers take it for granted and drive it wildly, even in the city!
Old 9th May 2005, 10:44   #4
BHPian

It's aweful to hear such things.
How can a person be so irresponsible. It's something to do with these drivers psyche.
Out of Words !!!
Old 9th May 2005, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats horrible !!!

the driver shud be dealt with absolutely no mercy.

first he has no traffic sense going over to the wrong side to avoid the jam..what was he thinking ? the others waiting in queue were fools ?

secondly a powerful vehicle makes these drivers feel invincible..another case in point is the Sumo and Trax drivers ....they drive as if they own the road.

I mean we require stricter laws for these public transport drivers , they are responsible for the lives of the passengers as well.

anyways i just hope the guy is given the treatment and just not gets away and joins another transport company and continues endangering lives !
Old 9th May 2005, 10:48   #6
BHPian

Hey ajmat, i totally second you on that man.. These bus-drivers are maniacs and think that they own the city roads. I live near indira nagar and i often see these maniacs driving the wrong side on the CMH Road and 100 Ft Road junction while going from CMH hospital towards Ulsoor.

Secondly, i have noticed more than a thousand times, these maniacs trying to overtake another one of their clan who is stopped at a bus-station, Only to go ahead and park the bus at the bus-stop. The maniac who was just overtaken, would then change the lane all of a sudden, causing big grief to the vehicles plying on the road. And you see that on a two lane ulsoor road quite often. I guess its time that the government confined the bus-drivers to the left lane only through out bangalore.
Old 9th May 2005, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is horrible stuff.

Why do people treat traffic rules with such disdain?

Mainly its becoz they dont have any fear of the traffic cop.

I have often felt that if we get some traffic cops from apna dilli down here in bangalore, the kinds who slap u first and then ask questions, the jatts from haryana, people will start paying more respect to traffic rules. One day in Jayanagar, i saw a two wheeler dodging a traffic cop who was trying to stop him coz he was talkin on the cellphone and riding. The guy continued talking on the phone and dodged the cop at the same time!!!

Hoping and praying that people will start being responsible out of their own conscience is just wishful thinking.

We have enough laws in place... wot we need is an iron hand to implement these laws...

Amitoj
Old 9th May 2005, 12:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I have often felt that if we get some traffic cops from apna dilli down here in bangalore
c'mon man! Those guys are even more currupt. The language and the attitude may scare ppl but its not going to solve anything. 100 bucks would still see you riding out of any mess.
I often felt that cops in Pune were slightly better in terms of stricktness... but there too money could take care of anything.
Old 9th May 2005, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yaar who isnt corrupt? Even defence ministers are mired in corruption scams!
But its the rude language and crude attitude only that will scare people away from getting into situations where they have to deal with them.
Old 9th May 2005, 12:35   #10
c10
BHPian

hi all...its very much true that these Volvo buses are driven in reckless manner... i was travelling from Bnagalore to Hyd sometime back and chose the APSRTC Volvo...they drive at around 100Kms Max... but on the way i saw these Pvt. Volvo buses they were driving like Maniacs... On my return Journey, i chose these Pvt Volvo Bus (Diwakar), man they drive crazy...120Kms constant...i was in the front seat and the drive really shok me...Something need to be done with these Volvo Drivers as these drive in the same reckless manner even in the city limits...

But, i found the breaking system very powerful!!
Old 9th May 2005, 12:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

well this happenned on airport road recently too. near the command hospital a bus driver came on to the wrong side and drove over a woman on her scooter. crazy...no fault of hers..going happily to work or whatever and one crazed driver took her life..
Old 9th May 2005, 13:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
well this happenned on airport road recently too. near the command hospital a bus driver came on to the wrong side and drove over a woman on her scooter. crazy...no fault of hers..going happily to work or whatever and one crazed driver took her life..
that was my friends fiancee - one side of side was smashed and she lost her sight. She died two days later of severe organ haemmorage

Last edited by ajmat : 29th October 2023 at 23:47.
Old 9th May 2005, 13:22   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think there is only one punishment for such bozos - Castration and then a tortured capital punishment. Hearing these stories gets my blood boiling...

GTO
Old 9th May 2005, 13:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Really horrible.
They should start teaching the drivers properly.
If i were the victims relative, i would make sure he would have been hanged as an example to other bus drivers.
Old 9th May 2005, 13:29   #15
BHPian

Man this is terrible. I also have travelled in volvo buses and normal buses from bombay to rajkot(gujarat) but never experienced anysuch thing and the drivers r a little bit rough but not that nasty

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks