Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 22:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Shaid
I think that getting a trailer to carry stuff and be easily managed even today.
What I want is to get a trailer made and registered that can carry my CJ3B for lets say Delhi to Corbett and back and inside Corbett I can roam around in the CJ3B.
Corbett is just an example!!!
Next time you are in Punjab try that chap in Bilga who does tractor trolleys. The guy is known for quality work across Punjab and Haryana and might be able to make you a decent trailer suitable for a CJ3B.
Old 20th March 2009, 00:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Update

Folks,

My Trailer is successfully registered and now the sand blasting also completed. I have immediately applied primer after the sand blasting to prevent any rust formation.

But the sand blasting also revealed the bad part of the body as some places are badly hit by corrosion. I need to do little bit of tinker job, but I will hold it for some more time. Hence painting job also withhold. Here is the picture of my trailer after sand blasting and primer painting.

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image003.jpg
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

My Trailer restoration was completed last weekend. Though some sticker job for registration plate, T board and bit of electrical works are pending, here is the pictures of my weekend work.

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image005.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image014.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image017.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image021.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image024.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image031.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image030.jpg

I towed around 750kilograms of weight in the trailier for 200kms on the way back to Chennai from my native after doing up the restoration. The whole weekend my towed the trailer for around 650kms and I think this is the first time experience for the trailer to carry civilian goods and for me it is first to drive the jeep with trailer for such a long drive.

I really didn't find any difficult during the drive and I could easily do 60-80kmph with 750kg load on the trailer as I was driving it in the mid-night with no traffic.

As I have almost reached the end of my trailer restoration, until now the cost of whole trailer is around 23900/- and I will do bit more on the above said electricals and sticker job.

Last edited by trammway : 23rd March 2009 at 12:33.
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Siva
Job well completed.
i have always wondered what these 2 bars used for.
I have marked them in yellow boxes
By any chance are these the brakes, which have to be engaged when the trailer is stationary???
Attached Thumbnails
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image030.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2009, 17:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Siva
Job well completed.
i have always wondered what these 2 bars used for.
I have marked them in yellow boxes
By any chance are these the brakes, which have to be engaged when the trailer is stationary???

The are used to for pulling the trailer around when its not connected to the hook. They could be folded when they are attached to a jeep, there is a small metal lever(see the place where it connected to the hook bar) which releases the handle to get folded. The same knob is locked when you pull the handle to the postion shown in the picture.
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:45   #51
BHPian

I noticed that you are driving the trailer around with the clip(the one right behind the lunette-ring, but before the brake contraption. It has a chain attached to it, so as to not lose it). That clip should only be utilized when reversing or parking the trailer. The reason is, that the trailer being self-braking, the braking action of the trailer depends on the inertia developed while braking. When you apply the brakes on the jeep, the lunette-ring stays in motion with the jeep, but the rest of the trailer is suspended by the coil spring on the ring, therefore the weight of the trailer and hence the inertia developed, pushes the trailer forward (or on the trailer itself, when this happens, it would look like the lunette-ring moves backwards), and along the way hitting and pushing a small arm located behind the coil spring, on the rearward stem of the lunette-ring. This small arm that i am talking about, works as a brake lever, thereby engaging the brakes when its pushed backwards

This trailer i think, is rated at 250kgs or nearby, although by theory it has to be double that, since the primary reason why the military prefered a Braked-trailer on the Non-Braked trailed is to double the towing capacity of the trailer. The debate being that, since the stopping action can now be shared equally between the towing and towed vehicle, it can tow more weight than a Non-Braked trailer while still maintaining the same stopping power. But the indian trailers use soft leaf springs for the suspended wheel, and it only takes the standard Non-Braking trailer weight for the trailer to sit low enough that it pushes the leverage to the braking arm, thereby engaging the brakes. The American trailers,The M100,M110, and the others, on the other hand, use same very heavy duty tapered springs, so it does a lot better,but those trailers are very hard to come by nowadays.

Now, the reason why they provided the clip is, that by the side effect of the braking design contraption, it automatically engages the brakes if its overloaded. If you, by mistake or error, overload it, then that would exert a lot of load on the engine and the other drivetrain components, not to mention burnt brakes and tires, and that too effecting both the the towed and towing vehicles. The most common modification in Punjab to counter this problem, is to remove the braking links altogether, and hence enabling it to lift more weight. Also while reversing the trailer,the lunette-ring again pushes back on the small braking arm and engages the brakes. To avoid that, they provided the clip that disables the braking when it is fitted on the stem of the lunette-ring, not allowing it to move in either direction, so it acts as if it never had any brakes. Although its also possible to disable the overload braking feature by always using the clip, but i doubt its strong enough to handle the stress, and on doing so while towing a laden trailer, evidently something would give way, and thats probably the reason why ppl remove the brakes in the first place rather than just using the clip permanently.

Its not as bad as i make it sound, but taking that extra precautionary measures would take you a long way with a troublefree trailer maintenance.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
I noticed that you are driving the trailer around with the clip(the one right behind the lunette-ring, but before the brake contraption.

Brutus, Thanks for the excellent information. However I would like to say this, I do know about the ring which prevents the breaking action which is placed behind the lunette-ring and I've not kept it on while driving. I'm not sure which picture you think has the U clip engaged.

Actually there is a holder underneath the break contraption spring where I kept the U ring to avoid hanging(see the sandblasting pic where the U ring is hanging) while I drive. In fact the holder is provided for the same purpose.

I'm yet to work on the break overhaul in the trailer as I did notice the hand break attached in the trailer has less traction and the break lever which is behind the spring also not returning after it engages the break. As currently the break is not effective, I will be doing it in my next chance.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Army trailer 1/4 tonne, 1 tonne, water tanks, amo trailers

Guys, see the Army trailer 1/4 tonne, 1 tonne, water tanks, amo trailers here, all from a Army Scrap Yard

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image012.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image011.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image013.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image014.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image016.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image019.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image029.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image022.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image026.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image027.jpg
Old 27th October 2009, 17:21   #54
BHPian

Travel Trailer for Jeep

I always have a dream to own a travel trailer like the below attached... I am sure this can made if one has passion and money for it... I just wanted to know if anybody has similar dream or if somebody already own one...
Attached Thumbnails
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-ecotraveltrailerexterior.jpg  

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-ecotraveltrailerfloorplan713fd.jpg  

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-ecotraveltrailerinterior.jpg  

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-ecotraveltrailerinterior2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10th May 2010, 23:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Santhosh,
Brilliant idea. I always wanted a trailer to carry my bike along.
I do not know if we could travel at a speed beyond 60kmph with a trailer carrying a 3B but we definitely would have a comfortable journey.
Very useful thread Santhosh.
Cheers,
Deepak
With a trailer in hand you can actually do all your experiments, yes I got my Rajdoot GTS transported in my trailer today. You can transport any bike in the standard trailers available in India. (only thing is that you need to modify the rear wall of the trailer as gate)
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-img_0001.jpg
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-img_0002.jpg
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-img_0003.jpg
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-img_0004.jpg

I did change my trailers rear wall as a gate, the hinges used in this setup are from Standard 20 van.
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image161.jpg
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image162.jpg
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image163.jpg
Old 21st May 2010, 02:48   #56
BHPian

Hi Trammway,

Did you get a chnace to fix the breaks on your trailor? I have also modified a trailor to use with my Bolero, will post pics soon of them.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post
Hi Trammway,

Did you get a chnace to fix the breaks on your trailor? I have also modified a trailor to use with my Bolero, will post pics soon of them.
Hi Hussain,

My trailer has already got hand brake and spring assisted brake in place, this one is a ex-army 1/4 ton Mahindra Oven make trailer
Old 26th May 2010, 12:52   #58
BHPian

I am not sure what the spring assisted brake is, can you please give me some more detials? Does this work with your jeep's brake?

I am having trouble with the brakes on my tralier, I only have the hand brake option on it. This was a run down Mahindra tralier, again I am not sure about it. I will write a review on it and post pictures very soon.
Old 29th May 2010, 01:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post
I am not sure what the spring assisted brake is, can you please give me some more detials? Does this work with your jeep's brake?

I am having trouble with the brakes on my tralier, I only have the hand brake option on it. This was a run down Mahindra tralier, again I am not sure about it. I will write a review on it and post pictures very soon.

If you look at my trailers picture closely, you will see that the spring on the hook actually used to apply brake in the trailer. The spring is connected one side with the hook and another end is touching a lever, whenever the spring is compressed (when you apply brake in the jeep, automatically the motion in trailer will push the trailer to hook side, hence providing compression) and pushes the lever in the end of the spring which actually works as brake lever and applies the brake.
Old 29th May 2010, 04:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
automatically the motion in trailer will push the trailer to hook side, hence providing compression) and pushes the lever in the end of the spring which actually works as brake lever and applies the brake.
Interesting. Is it a hydraulic braking system? Does your trailer have brake/indicator lights. How to you hook it to your Jeep?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks