Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:47   #46
BHPian

@ Flyboy nice review.

Would definitely love to see a few pics of the planes cockpit for sure. Meanwhile i am posting a few pics of the Airbus A380 which i flew sometime back in the Tokyo, Singapore sector.
Attached Thumbnails
Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4766.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4775.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4777.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4780.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4785.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4789.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-cimg4811.jpg  

Last edited by jango : 3rd April 2009 at 16:49.
jango is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:59   #47
BANNED

Here is how the flight deck of a 747-400 looks:
Attached Thumbnails
Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-b747400-cockpit.jpg  

luvjascha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review Flyboy. enjoyed reading it.
How is the engine output measured for airplanes ? i mean the unit .
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:25   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
How is the engine output measured for airplanes ? i mean the unit .
The engine output is measured in hp (horsepower) for a piston-engine, shp (shaft horsepower) for a turbopropeller and lb (pounds) for a turbojet/turbofan.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy747 View Post
. Have flown 8 different types from 2 to 400+ seater Boeing 747 Jumbo Jets.
which other aircrafts have you flown ?

Quote:
Maximum Altitude capability 45100 feet.
is this service ceiling or absolute ?

Quote:
As one of my first instructors had told me – never let an airplane take you to a place where your mind has not gone 5 minutes before..
words of wisdom...

Quote:
The Boeing philosophy of designing airplanes is quite different from Airbus. Both manufacturers design very safe airplanes, but from a pilots point of view (and I have flown an Airbus previously) I would say that a Boeing gives more control to the pilots whereas an Airbus has a computer watching what you do at all times (like big brother!).
airbus is a lot more automated.make you do less..fly less.in the boeing right from the 737s you actually do most of the flying.how long have you been on the 747 for ? 787 next ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
I always had 2 doubts regarding aircrafts. Can u pls clarify.

1. Why planes are not built in such a way that they can float every time, it lands/ crashes into water. Dont they have enough bouyancy ??

2. Its seen that in most of crashes, majority casualities happen due to burning of fuel. Then, why are planes not designed in such a way that they have some sort of storage which can be disposed off, when plane is going to crash.

Pardon if u feel these queries are foolish.
no question is stupid..

1. they are designed to float for a few hours.but that usually doesnt happen because they arent ditched properly.the recent hudson ditching is an example of a perfect ditching.the pilot took her down as smooth as he could and it stayed afloat for quite a while.

2.there is a method of dumping fuel.but pilot are going to try till the very last minute to save the airplane so they would never ditch....i mean even if the airplane is in a 250 knot + nose dive he is going to try to recover the airplane.

rev
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:14   #51
BHPian

Wow, this sure is a first on TBHP. Good one my friend, and thanks for sharing
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

@ jango

the A380 is in a league of its own.that thing is so huge !!

rev
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

nice review flyboy

but its very short.i would love to hear more from you regarding 747-400,its my personal favourite and have collected lot od photos.

tell more stories and specially about cross wind landings/takeoffs,please
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:02   #54
BHPian

Terrific review Flyboy and very informative also for us lesser mortals. Do write more, even about your various experiences of flying.

Very nice photos of A380 posted by Jango. The front exterior of the plane looks like 'Super Guppy' (the biggest frieghter plane) and looks more like a fat whale. And what are those 'sort of cabins' in 4th pic from top.

That flight deck photo: How the pilots remember all those switches, buttons, levers and the screens?

One of best and most exciting threads
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Simply made awsome reading. Thanks for the pic Luvjascha, but if someone now could explain/mark on the photo what control is for what, well just the main controls atleast.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Here is how the flight deck of a 747-400 looks:
Gosh, how do you keep track and handle so many buttons and switches and regulators and screens and.. and.. and.. Guess being a pilot takes much more than the altitude sickness.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:10   #57
BHPian

I always have a question.

Why the airlines are not putting parachutes under the seats, while they are every time telling how to inflate life saving jackets in case of landing in water?

Jackets are more important than Parachutes???
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Wow!! Simply made awsome reading. Thanks for the pic Luvjascha, but if someone now could explain/mark on the photo what control is for what, well just the main controls atleast.
that would take all day.here goes..just the main ones.

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-b747400-cockpit.jpg

(point 6 is the two screens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Why the airlines are not putting parachutes under the seats, while they are every time telling how to inflate life saving jackets in case of landing in water?
ever wondered why an airline ticket to NYC and back costs 50,000 and not 1,50,000.its because they dont supply each passenger with parachutes.cost cutting

secondly its not as easy as just jumping of an airplane and deploying a parachute.requires training...a lot of it.In Some training institutions abroad you can actually get a certificate after doing a number of jumps after which you can go solo.wearing a jacket and inflating it is a lot easier.

rev

Last edited by revtech : 3rd April 2009 at 19:29.
revtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:16   #59
BHPian

Hey flyboy747 ! Welcome to T-BHP

I alway wanted to be a Pilot unless i had my eyes having -3.5 power and i was told that any power below 3.0 are not allowed by DGCA . But yes, someday i'll fly a real plane when i own it and until then, i do with my Simulator and have clocked over 2000 Hours of flying.

Please check the attached pictures and tell me and all other Flight Simulator enthusiasts how close are they to a real cockpit. This one' from A330-200 which i was flying VIDP-KMIA Route and is on final Approach.

The 2nd Pic is for B747 i was flying on PHNL-KMIA Route

And the 2 similar photos are B777-300 Panel and Overhead (Have just learnt to start the beast and still learning to use FMC and enter all the flight data!!!)

Hope to have some words from the real world pilot soon !
Attached Thumbnails
Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-airbus_kmiaapproach.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-2.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-b773.jpg  

Airplane Review (Boeing 747-400) by a Pilot : A first for Team-BHP!-b777.jpg  

delhi2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
that would take all day.here goes..just the main ones.

Attachment 119640

(point 6 is the two screens)

ever wondered why an airline ticket to NYC and back costs 50,000 and not 1,50,000.its because they dont supply each passenger with parachutes.cost cutting

secondly its not as easy as just jumping of an airplane and deploying a parachute.requires training, a lot of it.In Some training institutions abroad you can actually get a certificate after doing a number of jumps after which you can go solo.wearing a jacket and inflating it is a lot easier.

rev

1 - Speed Brake
2 - Flaps
3 - FMC
4 - Control Stick
5 - Main Aircraft controls like Auto-Pilot, Auto-Throttle, Heading, Altitude Control etc.
6 - MFD - Can display outer cameras in some Aircrafts and Maps in others.
7 - Same as 4.
8 - Throttle Control For Engine 1 - 4
delhi2009 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks