Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 19:30   #91
BHPian

Although offtopic, here's a funny side to flying these big machines, i found some interesting ATC Conversations have included here for everyone to have a good

From an unknown aircraft waiting in a very long takeoff queue: "I'm absolutely bored!"

Ground Traffic Control: "Last aircraft transmitting, identify yourself immediately!"

Unknown aircraft: "I said I was absolutely bored, not absolutely stupid!"

A DC-10 had come in a little fast and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.

San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able.

If you are not able, take the Guadalupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the lights and return to the airport."

Tower: "TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 degrees."

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet.

How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a

747 makes when it hits a 727?"

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign: Speedbird 206.

Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206! Clear of active runway."

Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."

The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."

Ground (with quite arrogant impatience):

"Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, --

And I didn't land." !!!!!!!!

Enjoy !

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 20:22. Reason: Language used, please go through forum announcments. thanks
delhi2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 19:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I have this silly doubt for quite some time. How you start these big engine? Does this have any starter motor to turn the engine main shaft? How the engine will start from ground without high air pressure from the compressor. 10 tonnes per hour of fuel. Wondering how large the fuel pump is

Here you go : HowStuffWorks "How do they start jet engines on airplanes?" .

Starting of a DC-3

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 20:23. Reason: Back to back posts
delhi2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 20:27   #93
BHPian

A pilot's review is always a good read. Nice to hear from you flyboy747 and thanks for sharing your experience.

I too wanted to be a pilot (in the IAF) but couldn't do so due to medical reasons, so now I'm a big flight-sim freak and 'fly' every other day till the early hours (much to my wife's distress!)!! I feel Flight-sim gaming is pretty good for building mental discipline and quick decision-making unlike the usual car race games. I think it's had a positive influence on my driving as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy747 View Post
As one of my first instructors had told me – never let an airplane take you to a place where your mind has not gone 5 minutes before..
Very true in driving as well as per my experience, except that in driving I feel your mind just needs to go about 5-10 seconds ahead.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:28   #94
BHPian

With so much sophistication in place and since much of the plane is computer controlled I wanted to know where human interference is must - i mean can airplanes run without pilots?
Old 6th April 2009, 23:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review! The Boeing 747-400 has always been my ultimate favorite. Even today, when the A380 somewhat dwarfs the 747, I still prefer the 747. I live in San Jose and we do not get any heavies here other than the DC10,MD10/MD11,767 and A300 Cargo. But there are rare times when a couple of 747-SPs land and they are worth seeing!
Old 7th April 2009, 00:51   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
... ...An auto pilot just like any system can fail sometime
I'm sure we all remember Otto Pilot needing to be re-inflated in the film, Airplane!

Excellent thread. Gripping stuff. I'm looking forward to more.

Can we have more about takeoff please?
Old 7th April 2009, 01:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

An Amazing review.
I have played Flight Simulator X and flying a plane is not as easy as it seems.
Kudos to you.
Cheers!
Old 7th April 2009, 10:05   #98

Hello Flyboy, thanx for sharing the experience, you must be getting a lot of rush everytime you get in there. Yes some pictures would be wonderful to see.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
awesome stuff man! as sideways mentioned me too wanted to be a pilot but thanks to me being extra brilliant in pcm subjects(managed to get only passing marks) could never realize my dream

all i do now is fly as a passenger in the economy class.lol

Hey ,you don't have to be brilliant to be a pilot !
all you've got to do is pass your tenth, nowadays it's 12th..probably a graduate in science is a plus, but not necessary.
Qualification requirement 1. Lots of money for the lessons, though some flying clubs in India fudge on this.
2. An influential person to allow a window of opportunity..probably a father as captain or some honcho in the airlines or political connections.
A Commercial pilots license is the bare minimum accquired after 200 flying hours, earlier it was 250.
I hate to be a party pooper but, being a pilot does not, repeat ,does not require above average IQs..just average.
Before anyone flames me, I am qualified on the Boeing 777.
But I just loove cars, and bikes.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palioman View Post
Hey ,you don't have to be brilliant to be a pilot !
all you've got to do is pass your tenth, nowadays it's 12th..probably a graduate in science is a plus, but not necessary.
-------------------------
Before anyone flames me, I am qualified on the Boeing 777.
But I just loove cars, and bikes.
@palioman.. very well said.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:24   #101
BHPian

I know on a day to day basis as a profession it could probably be just another day at work for pilots but for those of us who wanted to become pilots but didn't/couldn't the wanderlust, going to so many new places, which motivates it and the excitement of planes and flying will never die, even though becoming a pilot may not quench these desires in the way we had envisaged, so its nice to get these perspectives from flyboy.

I don't necessarily thing being a pilot is great or requires a lot of intelligence but its what I wanted to do once and its great to read the review and the other titbits. A very good thread for folks like me.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:30   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

palioman, I don't doubt much of what you say, you're the man with the experience, but I think you under-rate your own abilities.

Maybe it is not as delicate a job as being a heart surgeon, but he has only one life at a time in his hands.

OK, so maybe flying a plane is something one can learn and practice, like driving a car, riding a bike, or sailing a boat, but there is no way I am going to kill 300 people if I make a mistake taking the car out of the drive, and when I used to sail a bit, I sometimes used to think that the navigation that I might hum and hah about for a few minutes (numbers were never my strong point) has to be done by a pilot in seconds.

So I'm still cheering for the pilots!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th April 2009 at 20:32.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:51   #103

I was initially surprised to see this thread but then as an aviator really appreciated all subsequent posts. An aircraft review would actually entail no mean detailing and bring a lot of technical stuff to fore but hats off by keeping it simple.
Flying and driving have one thing in common, you can't mix drinking in either. 12 hrs is the rule.
Safe driving and happy landings.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:52   #104
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!
Logging in after 4 days so a bit late in the read up but worth every line!
There were many things i didn't know about 747 and flying.
Thanks everyone for the inputs.
Like many others being a pilot was a dream couldn't accomplished due to weak eyesight but glad to see the review from a pilots view.
Thanks and cheers!

P.S- Completely agree with you Palioman.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th April 2009 at 21:53.
Old 7th April 2009, 23:20   #105
BHPian

This is turing out to be One of the Best Threads on TBHP. Go on guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks