Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:17   #31
BHPian

Remember i was talking about the Shaktimann picture, well it's actually the original MAN630 L2A. Here you go

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-emma000.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-emma001.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-emma002.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-emma003.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-emma004.jpg
Brutus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:30   #32
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Been reading this thread. I have a few pics of the vehicles discussed here.

A Carvan Bus being used by an adventure holiday group. Its a TATA 1613 4wd Chassis with a registration number of some European country. I have seen it a couple of time between Delhi and Jaipur on NH8 full of "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" style tourists .
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-04032009324.jpg
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-04032009325.jpg
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-04032009326.jpg

A Bare Tata 407 4WD chassis
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-05022009307.jpg

A Swaraj Mazda 4wd truck. It owned by my uncle who runs this Ballooning company. They use it to recover the balloon after it has landed and for this, it has to go anywhere.

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-swaraj-mazda-4x4.jpg

Also you can see a couple of carvans parked at Nehru Park near the Austrailian High Commision in New Delhi. I think the red bus also is parked there.
vinayrathore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
thats TATA 207 4x4 chasis.

yeah! shkatiman is actually MAN of germany. I saw one that came to india long ago. i had some images, but will have to serach for it on backup drives.

has anybody else seen it, he was an old fella with khakhi color MAN truck.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^^

yeah! shkatiman is actually MAN of Germany. I saw one that came to india long ago. i had some images, but will have to serach for it on backup drives.

Oops I made a typo there! Its indeed a 207.

Yes, we used to own a few ShaktiMan and Dodge 4wd Buses in Rajasthan in early 70s. My dad has told me stories about it. I still see there old bits and spares lying in the old store room.

Even now you can see a few ShaktiMan Trucks ferrying Stone around Jhunjhunu and Randhisar areas where there are large Stone Mines. Although its really hard to find a working 4wd Shaktiman.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 23rd April 2009 at 16:45.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
^^^^

yeah! shkatiman is actually MAN of germany. I saw one that came to india long ago. i had some images, but will have to serach for it on backup drives.

I think i might have a picture in my PC. Is it this one?
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-chittiesfull.jpg

I think he probably sold it by now, i remember seeing his add sometime ago.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^^
TATA 207 Di is not available in 4wd. The one in the picture is 207 4x2. Note there is not automatic freewheeling hub on the front wheel. Only 4x4 is available on TATA TL and now on Xenon. Long back when i enquired about 207 Di 4wd they said they cannot produce that even on order. I think some engineering constraint on 207 chassis with 407 engine and gearbox. Again if the need be they can provide 207 DI on the same chassis which provides solid dead axle option. But TATA will have to design a front axle for 207 Di as 407 4wd axle will be too large for it. Additional costs will not justify demand

@brutus MAN truck looks so mascular compared to indian version. God knows when will 4wd truck caravan culture come to india or when i will get enough money to start one!!

See this video enjoy-

Old 23rd April 2009, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Vinod, those vehicles are very expensive, especially the UNICAT. My friend who wanted to build the caravan wanted to go this route until he got to know the cost price, but now were concentrating on making a sort of look-alike.
I absolutely love that man truck. the major difference being its got wider fenders, and larger wheels. I see loads of shaktimans in Phatankot, some in very good condition. Whats more , you get portal axles, and a PTO winch too.
Tatra and kraz can be good platforms too, but they would still be very expensive to get from the auctions, besides the parts too would be expensive.
There are a few C.O. caravans, which are basically either the Gaz-66 trucks or the Shaktimanns with a cabin behind them, and most of them have winches too. A Gaz-66 has a 4liter V8 fuel guzzling petrol motor, which though a very common motor in Russ, but here parts for it would be very difficult to come by especially since the Gaz-66 truck was ordered in such a few numbers. But i love those Gaz trucks.
Though off topic, i would still want to show you my dream machines for a travelling or hunting purposes. i don't remember how long i've had these pictures for. Here goes:-
This one is a Gaz-71. It shares the same motor 4 liter motor as the 66, but later models had a 4liter turbocharged diesel(probably Hino). Mostly used as caravan or research vehicles in the artic reagion or the russi swamps. Its even used as a troop carrier. And yes, its an Amphibian, the propulsion in the water coming from the paddle like tracks.
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gaz71.jpg

An Artic caravan
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gaz712.jpg

A Gaz-71 model which has the Gaz-66 cab
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gaz7166.jpg

The new car type Gaz tracked amphi alongside the old one
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gaz71new-vs-old.jpg

This is the Gaz GT-T, a huge amphi tracked transporter. Some of might have seen this in the discovery channel. There was this show about this crazy gorra going around the world(i think it was called the naked discover earth or something). In one show he was visiting Serbia, and walking in the snow clad forest, and out of nowhere came this vehicle with a Vodca drinker russi driver. The enter this stream and the driver goes around the vehicle with a sledge hammber banging the track pins back in so that he does'nt lose them in the water.
I've seen them with the Kraz petrol and diesel motors, both an inline 6 and the V8's., and propelled in the water by its tracks
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gtt.jpg
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-gtt2.jpg

This is the PTS transporter. Driven by basically a Battle Tank motor a humongous some 30 liters V12 diesel, and is propelled in the water by the tracks and a water jet.
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-ptswa.jpg

Have a look at the motor
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-ptsmotor.jpg
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-ptsmotor2.jpg

And this is the best picture of the lot. This one has been imported to the States. The guy uses it to transport his hummer on it, lol(finally an American realising the Russians make the better machines. He knows the no good hummer is going to get him nowhere. Sorry Dan,lol)
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-ptshummerramps.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTSHummerRamps.jpg
Views:	3881
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	128692
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:45   #38
BHPian

That swaraj Mazda looks great
Bazius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

A big vehicle going off road presents a problem a lot of people do no think about. Visibility.

Unimog, Tata, Swaraj all opt for the cab forward design and this heightens the driver's ability to see the road and off-road directly in front of him. Man has the funny shaped bonnet to enhance visibility. Look at the amount of glass up front on this newer Unimog. That thing must be a pleasure to drive. Of course the Traveller has little bonnet to obstruct vision also (bringing it back on topic, boss).
Attached Thumbnails
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-unimog-newer-one.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:58   #40
BHPian

Not to mention a forward cab will also increase the space, since the driver seat, the co-driver seat and the engine combined takes only as much space as it would take to just cover the bonnet on other vehicles. Also another consideration for an offroad caravan, especially in the indian scenario, is the overall dimensions. The caravan shout be small enuogh to be easily manouvered on the Indian roads( what about the hilly area?) and the offroads. If its too tall then it would always be hitting the low hanging branches(why do you thing the truck drivers here always like to drive on the middle of the road?).

This is the reason why we shortlisted the short wheelbase Swaraj. It, i think is a bit smaller than the Travellor and the height too is about the same, and as an advantage, it has larger wheels too, which are not only easier to get over rocks, but increase the ground clearence too. There is already has a longer wheelbase version that comes with a live front axle, so getting those parts sorted out would not be a problem. And yes, the biggest advantage is that it has an option for a limited slip differential also.
Old 24th April 2009, 01:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ brutus.

Its this one
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-skman.jpg

I found his website
India Overland

@ vinod.
Tata did make 207 in 4x4 for export. It is called telcoline, i guess.
TATA do supply 207 Vajra to army. I am not sure its 4x4 or not.\

Guess what 207 ambulance supplied to army is AWD

Last edited by SirAlec : 24th April 2009 at 01:14.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2009, 12:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
This is the reason why we shortlisted the short wheelbase Swaraj. It, i think is a bit smaller than the Travellor and the height too is about the same, and as an advantage, it has larger wheels too, which are not only easier to get over rocks, but increase the ground clearence too.
Thanks to all of you guys I am preparing my list of questions to be taken further up.

Brutus, TT has a wheelbase of 3050 available whereas for Mazda I guess it is 3340. Also as you said I would like to have vehicle which would be easy to use, robust, comfortable can go from Leh to Kerala without any pains. The roof would be somewhere along the lines of sportsmobile (link is there in first post) where the roof would be kind of collapsible. Also another possibility is India Pop Top, Camper Vans , Bush camper, - RV and Pleasureway - Vantastic Vans and RV, van camper, van conversions, Motorhome India Tour, Motor coaches, Luxury caravan tour, caravan India tour, Bus into Luxury Motorcaravan, Motor Caravan, Motorhome,
Old 24th April 2009, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ vinod.
Tata did make 207 in 4x4 for export. It is called telcoline, i guess.
TATA do supply 207 Vajra to army. I am not sure its 4x4 or not.\

Guess what 207 ambulance supplied to army is AWD
Telcoline is on 207 platform no doubt, but had an IDI turbo engine which developed 90 bhp and 19 kgm torque @2000+ RPm. Infact even Sumos provided to Army are 4x4 with the same engine.

The pic which brutus had posted is a 207Di which is not a 4wd. The one inthe picture had 16 inch wheels and didnt have front freewheeling hubs and was running on road bias tyres. With Di 3.0 litre engine there is no 4wd option in 207 platform even to the Army

with regards
vinod

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 24th April 2009 at 13:00.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:50   #44
BHPian

Thanks SirAlec, i got it.

Well, actually rhandle the Short wheelbase swaraj i am talking about only has a WB of 2515mm, but still about 9" longer overall than the Tempo.
Anyways, since you want a small vehicle,i though i should post these pictures so you could you some ideas from this vehicle.

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-1.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-2.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-3.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-4.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-5.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-6.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-7.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-1-8.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-2.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-2-1.jpg

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-2-2.jpg