Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Conductor-less Buses. Good or Bad?

I've been observing these BMTC buses in Bangalore for quite some time. In my opinion they're a real nuisance and more importantly a threat to other road users. I guess it was a thought-less act from BMTC.

Here's a list of stupid things they do.

They stop for longer duration at bus stops since ONLY ONE door will be open.
You have to wait for everybody to get down through the SAME DOOR. (It takes double the time if you noticed).
Everybody has to get in through the same door. Getting in is not smooth since you might have to wait for the driver to give you ticket, change etc.
All the passengers have to take ticket, get change etc. all while the bus is waiting at the stop blocking the traffic movement in that lane and sometimes both. (Remember we have NO CONCEPT of a bus bay)
During this time other vehicles waiting behind would've started honking. There forms a traffic jam.
Then the driver decides to move from the bus stop. With ONE HAND (sometimes none) on the steering, and the other searching for the ticket, scribbling the change he has to give later, searching his bag for change, sometimes changing gears....all this while moving through Bangalore's rush hour traffic.

Isn't this DANGEROUS DRIVING?
Isn't this more dangerous than driving while using cell phones?

Who's to blame? Definitely not the drivers.

Is there any solution?

-- Torqy
Old 29th July 2009, 22:17   #2
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I never knew something like this is happening in India itself. May be this is the way the bus company is coping with recession.

But, this sounds like a real bad idea.
First the driver has to deal with the traffic with a huge bus and secondly he has to handle the passenger which itself is another irritating job.

The people running this organization need to re-think or just quit.

A possible solution could be to use Automated Ticket Selling machines at the Bus-stops.

Last edited by SRK : 29th July 2009 at 22:19.
Old 29th July 2009, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Conductor less buses in developed countries with less population - a good idea

Conductor less buses in cities like Bangalore - a REAL BAD IDEA!!!

I have seen how these drivers do two things at the same time, one of which, happens to be driving a big bus though the busy roads of Bangalore.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:50   #4
BHPian

In India even Lifts are manned.

Or else educated people will start fighting and pushing, and rubbing their shoulders at places like malls and tech parks.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Actually, when the conductor less buses were introduced as 'janapriya vahini', the driver was not supposed to be involved at all. All he had to do was to ensure that each passenger bought the ticket.

A small box was kept nxt to the driver and passengers were supposed to drop the exact change for their journey and pick the corresponding ticket from an adjacent box.

But, as we all know, humans are masters in evolution or de-evolution in this case, so they had to ask the drivers to help the passengers out with change and the correct ticket etc and finally the driver himself became the conductor.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even in developed countries, they either use pass to swipe or drop the money in the box. No changes are given in most place.

But in here, it worst. Sometimes the driver just keeps driving and giving ticket all in teh moving traffic.

Also, the rear end of the bus will be completely empty since no one want to get stuck at the back when they want to get down.

It may be a good idea, IF they want only pass commuters to be taking these kind of buses.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:30   #7
BHPian

These buses (Janapriya Vahini) are not operated throughout the day for regular commuting. They are used mainly to ferry employees of Government-owned corporations, and a few IT Co's. From what i have observed, they usually operate in dense traffic routes only during their return pick-up and drop trips. They then reach the depot/station they belong to and ply on less-dense routes.

Not sure if many of you have travelled by these buses, but the problem here is mainly to do with the commuters themselves. They crowd close to the front section of the bus, leaving the rear aisles vacant, also making entry and exit into these buses a pain.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Not sure if many of you have travelled by these buses, but the problem here is mainly to do with the commuters themselves. They crowd close to the front section of the bus, leaving the rear aisles vacant, also making entry and exit into these buses a pain.
Yes, I have. Only people traveling for long distance can get to the rear seats. These buses have 3 + 2 seats and getting to the rear itself is a pain. No space to walk. So, these buses are good only for long distance between cities, or excursion buses. Not for normal commute.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Actually, when the conductor less buses were introduced as 'janapriya vahini', the driver was not supposed to be involved at all. All he had to do was to ensure that each passenger bought the ticket.

A small box was kept nxt to the driver and passengers were supposed to drop the exact change for their journey and pick the corresponding ticket from an adjacent box.
Good info by "addyhemmige". In fact in Gujarat, State Transport had also started such service called "Jan wishwas" (Trust) or something like that where there was a huge board with list of station name alongwith the tickets & there was a small box kept. Passengers need to take ticket & put money in the box. The ticket fair were rounded (to avoid issue of getting change). I had used that once between 1995-97 from Ahmedabad to Baroda. I liked the concept but later because of less collection of money they stop that service.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:39   #10
BHPian

Its not like any driver in India has it easy. but a bus without power steering , 90 degree seats was easily amongst the worst to drive. Now they double his workload. Its almost as if they want to get the recipe for a perfect disaster. Besides in such a populous country such as ours where people need jobs , isnt this ridiculous?
Old 31st July 2009, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Its not like any driver in India has it easy. but a bus without power steering , 90 degree seats was easily amongst the worst to drive. Now they double his workload. Its almost as if they want to get the recipe for a perfect disaster. Besides in such a populous country such as ours where people need jobs , isnt this ridiculous?
From what I've seen until now, all BMTC & KSRTC buses have power steering. Don't know about other states. Even private buses have power steering.

I believe power steering is a standard everywhere now. Even the 90 degree seats have been replaced by seats where they can be adjustable for height, distance from the steering wheel and backrests.

I agree that these drivers face a lot of stress in all this traffic. It will be difficult for him to manage the traffic and the passengers. So, I guess it does not make sense to have a driver cum conductor.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:58   #12
BHPian

I think we madly emulate other countries without studying how feasible it will be in India. On the other day, I was watching a program in Discovery where a Scientist said that Metro Rail concept is old and inefficient, and that their team has developed an alternate and efficient means of commuting.

I couldn't stop but wonder on the execution plans that have been designed for Chennai & other metros. I am not sure how exhaustive the goverment's research was before starting this project, but looking at the bleak response to MRTS(Mass rapid transit system) I don't think this would be a success either.

Mostly I tend to ignore, or rather ,don't find interested in knowing and learning about these multi-million Goverment projects, but nowadays, when I try to understand these things, I, sometimes wonder - are the guys behind these projects really capable? has a proper research been done?...

I think there is not even a bit of visibilty in all these multi-crore projects executed by the goverment.

P.S: Sorry for being a bit OT here, just couldn't resist to post this..
Old 31st July 2009, 17:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

About 14 years back I remember the then Tiruvalluvar Transport Corporation (the present day SETC) started this concept of Driver cum Conductor to reduce the number of staff required to run long distance routes. Basically instead of 2 drivers + 1 conductor for routes requiring more than 10 hours of journey were given 1 driver and 1 driver cum conductor.

I have seen quite a few times these guys giving out tickets while at the bus stand in some cases doing it while driving the bus some times so that they dont lose time. An certain times I have seen the Conductor closing his stage while the bus was waiting at a railway crossing. Imagine his plight not only is he answerable for the collections he is answerable for the bus reaching on time as well. This was very prevalent in the "Byepass riders" which were introduced in middle of '90's.
Old 31st July 2009, 17:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

That's a very stupid idea in the first place. Placing a box and expecting everyone would tender the exact change!! This won't happen anywhere in the world, let alone Bangalore city. Who envisaged this great idea?

Old 31st July 2009, 17:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I've been observing these BMTC buses in Bangalore for quite some time. In my opinion they're a real nuisance and more importantly a threat to other road users. I guess it was a thought-less act from BMTC.

Here's a list of stupid things they do.

They stop for longer duration at bus stops since ONLY ONE door will be open.
You have to wait for everybody to get down through the SAME DOOR. (It takes double the time if you noticed).
Everybody has to get in through the same door. Getting in is not smooth since you might have to wait for the driver to give you ticket, change etc.
All the passengers have to take ticket, get change etc. all while the bus is waiting at the stop blocking the traffic movement in that lane and sometimes both. (Remember we have NO CONCEPT of a bus bay)
During this time other vehicles waiting behind would've started honking. There forms a traffic jam.
Then the driver decides to move from the bus stop. With ONE HAND (sometimes none) on the steering, and the other searching for the ticket, scribbling the change he has to give later, searching his bag for change, sometimes changing gears....all this while moving through Bangalore's rush hour traffic.

Isn't this DANGEROUS DRIVING?
Isn't this more dangerous than driving while using cell phones?

Who's to blame? Definitely not the drivers.

Is there any solution?

-- Torqy
Thanks for bringing this point. i feel that 15% of Bangalore traffic is sponsored by this BMTC so called "Pushpak" Buses. And you know what they charge Rs.1/- or 2 more than a normal Bus

Incredible !

Most Viewed