Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 14:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I dont think so.
Can someone post the complete tech specs of the Volvo B7R?
I did read that somewhere, but I found this link http://www.bsmotoring.com/storypage.php?autono=900&page=2.
It says 343bhp, that's still lots of power!
Old 13th August 2009, 14:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

They are certainly not faster than the fast cars on the road. Compared to our grandpa buses on road, Volvo is FAST. Around 285 BHP

Here's a thread for that

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ment-pics.html
Old 13th August 2009, 15:29   #18
BANNED

Remember that buses in towns (this is where these are intended for) do not need a lot of power (they will probably never exceed 60 kph!) but can do with a good torque for the start stop driving. Even here you do not need a lot since you do not want the standing passengers to fall. The loads are also relatively low, as compared to trucks.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:49   #19
BHPian

Since we are discussing on the additional freed up space in RE buses, how come buses in India (Atleast the ones doing long trips - say Bangalore-Mumbai) cannot make way for a toilet inside? I know this can take up some space, but look at the convenience part.

Most of the buses (doing long trips) abroad have got a toilet inside.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:07   #20
BHPian

As far as I can remember reading it in the past, the Volvo B7R has around 280-300bhp.

edit: I posted after seeing nitrous's post abt the power and somehow did not see the next few posts..sorry

Last edited by Abhay : 13th August 2009 at 16:08.
Old 13th August 2009, 19:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
Since we are discussing on the additional freed up space in RE buses, how come buses in India (Atleast the ones doing long trips - say Bangalore-Mumbai) cannot make way for a toilet inside? I know this can take up some space, but look at the convenience part.

Most of the buses (doing long trips) abroad have got a toilet inside.
Considering how the public toilets in our country are maintained, I dread the thought of having one in the bus.

Last edited by Jaguar : 13th August 2009 at 19:51.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Considering how the public toilets in our country are maintained, I dread the thought of having one in the bus.
Well thats true. Only if people had some civic sense, things could have been much better.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:29   #23
santoshnair

just wondering how much can people soil the toilet after all its a small space also every bus shld hv a cleaner who can regularly go and inspect the toilet after all added service is always helpfull esp in long journeys involving ladies and diabetic patients

all the cleaner might hv to do is flush it or clean it when the bus stops some where dont we have people cleaning toilets else where in the country

Old 14th August 2009, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Toilets are not new in Indian buses, there used to be buses with toilets in the early 70s (KSRTC's Terraplane bus betwen Trivandrum and Ernakulam, TTC's Trivandrum-Madras bus), and I have travelled in these buses. Toilets stink to the heavens, and in the next edition, the toilets were permanently removed, never to come back.

In any case, Indian bus passengers never allow a bus to travel more than 2-3 hours without a food/tea/toilet break - weird, they even get down to eat in the middle of the night!
Old 18th August 2009, 13:24   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
One of the major benefits from the passengers perspective is a rear engined bus eliminates the bumpy ride at the rear.(experienced by the rear passengers in a front engined bus). The weight of the engine stabilizes the rear and it doesn't jump up tossing everyone at the back when going on humps.
So rear passengers enjoy a (relatively) fatigue free travel.
I think this is the case-cracker. So the verdict can be passed that rear engine buses are better.

Also, helps in cases like

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1433385-post3165.html
Old 18th August 2009, 13:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

The example is wrong, people do sit at the rear part of Rear engine buses. The Engine is a lower level than seats. So it wouldn't really save people at the back.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:08   #27
BHPian

Sorry for evoking an old thread, but there are some queries in my mind regarding the rear engined buses:
  • How does the gear shift lever function in these buses? I mean does the gear shaft travel all the way to the rear?
  • Same about the accelerator cable.. does it run all through the length of the bus?
  • How does natural air help in cooling the air cooled engine of the bus (opposed to air entring from front grill in usual buses)
Old 11th February 2010, 12:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I can post my simple doubt here. I've seen an AL RE bus in Chennai. Looked quite old. The gear shift lever juts out from a "box" placed a little towards the left-side, behind the driver seat level. My question is, being an Indirect Link, why haven't they positioned it like that in a car?
Old 11th February 2010, 15:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Not sure if I can post my simple doubt here. I've seen an AL RE bus in Chennai. Looked quite old. The gear shift lever juts out from a "box" placed a little towards the left-side, behind the driver seat level. My question is, being an Indirect Link, why haven't they positioned it like that in a car?
Well possible reson could be the front engines one's had the lever over there and then the same were carried over.
Old 11th February 2010, 22:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Gear shift lever in ALL Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Rear Engine Buses-.jpg

Have a look at this photo.
The gear shift lever is cable operated and this runs from front to rear.
Same is the case with Accelerator cable also
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed