Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 22:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Review: Mahindra Scorpio Pik-up Mhawk from USA by US journal

the test can be read here:

Taj Mahauler: We Drive Mahindra's Diesel Pik-Up - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 27th August 2009, 22:16   #2
BHPian

Key points: Ability, Agility and Price. I guess agility is acceptable so what remains to be seen is if it can live up to the load carrying and towing capacity claims.

As someone commented on that review, price it below $20K and it just might become popular! A small 140 HP diesel truck is a true niche product.
Old 27th August 2009, 22:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

"The Pik-Up recently got a styling overhaul that’s very close to how the TR20 pickup will look, but it hasn’t lost the boxy profile and fussy design elements that gives it the distinct vibe of a third-world hauler. It looks like the Japanese imports that hit these shores during the 1960s-70s."

Now this part really turns against Mahindra. The design does look dated!
But if you read the comments posted below the article, there are quite a few people who are following this closely and who seem eager to get one of these pick-up trucks. Impressive!
Like 1 person said, if this is priced below $20K, it'll be a killer!
Old 27th August 2009, 22:34   #4
BHPian

The problem with the design is that the front end and the cabin has been designed with an SUV in mind but the pickup bed has been added as an afterthought. It kind of loses the plot somwehere.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Mahindra Scorpio Pik-up Mhawk from USA by US journal-sc.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 22:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

If I needed a pickup in the US, I'd buy a mahindra proudly

Can't wait to see how the market takes to it.

cheers
Old 27th August 2009, 23:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the pik-up wheelbase look small? Extending it would have given a better look and balance IMO
Old 28th August 2009, 08:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Doesn't the pik-up wheelbase look small? Extending it would have given a better look and balance IMO
its already extended.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
140 bhp/325 nm Mhawk

According to the article, US version of mhawk 2.2 to make 140 bhp 325nm/33kgm torque. Sweet !!
Old 28th August 2009, 14:27   #9
BHPian

taj-mahauler

Mahindra Pickup Truck.

Going Global. With the positive reviews these mags finally an Indian Manufactures who has come of age with products that work in USA which traditionally has not been very kind in reviewing indian cars

Mahindra Diesel Pickup Truck, Reviewed

Taj Mahauler: We Drive Mahindra's Diesel Pik-Up - PickupTrucks.com News

KUDOS to M&M
Old 28th August 2009, 17:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
its already extended.
If they did extend it, then why didn't they extend fully? It looks a bit weird with that overhang
Old 30th August 2009, 17:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Saw the link: These people test and give that kinda "third world looks" comments which sounds strange.
Some facts stated are true no doubt regarding the interior plastics quality. The NVH levels also get their comments as intruding into the passenger cabin. That can't be agreed upon as the NVH is almost at par with the low end SUV's by other carmakers. And the Chevrolet Tavera has a pushrod diesel at this age. I may be corrected if wrong. The Tavera's engine is archiac no doubt.
Old 30th August 2009, 19:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If they did extend it, then why didn't they extend fully? It looks a bit weird with that overhang
thats because only the body is extended, not the chassis.

extending the chassis means the price would go further up & i think mahindra's USP in that market would be & should be its price. if it aint cheap enough, nobody will buy it.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:17   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Did anyone smile upon seeing that picture of a good ol' Mahindra on American roads? I did . I gotta admit, that's a pretty unbiased review.

The bed's pretty useable according to the reviewer, that in a nutshell will decide the success of this pick up in teh States. Whoever is going to buy an unknown foreign brand will do so only thanks to its useability & economy (price + fuel efficiency). It's a known fact that Indian UVs are engineering to take 2x - 3x the officially rated payload. Blame it on the Indian habit of overloading. Mahindra's are damn robust thanks to the simplicity of their engineering. Of course, the onus is on Mahindra to price it well. The Ranger is pretty much the only other small truck on sale in the States. Importantly, its built by Ford which has an unsurpassed reputation when it comes to pickups (Thanks to the F150). Incidentally, a substantial number of sales could come from the very market segment that buys Mahindra tractors. They'd do well in exploiting that distribution chain. I bet Mahindra's American pikups are going to be way superior in quality to what they sell here. Unfortunate when you think of it.

Who's going to be watching this closely? Yup, Tata!

A related thread I'd created some time back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Consider this: They have already appointed 140 dealerships....all of them primarily in rural / semi-urban settings. Rives Carlberg has been hired to take care of their marketing / brand presence. Among others HP, KFC and Segway feature on their list of clients. Recently, they have doubled their capacity in response to a favourable sales chart. They are also to enter the Canadian market soon.

I think Mahindra is on to bigger things as I doubt Anand Mahindra would be happy with just selling tractors in the States. What is their current product range and who will it appeal to? Certainly the Scorpios and crude pick-ups wont do well in urban America because they arent refined enough. But no one can argue that they do the job well. And if they can be overladen and yet survive on our inexistent roads, they can surely do better on American farmlands! And no one will be able to match Mahindra in the costing of these rugged workhorses.

If there is something that Mahindra does well, its build tractors. And I think this American foray is just the start of larger things to come.

Mahindra USA Website
Old 31st August 2009, 14:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO and all - thank you for all your good comments.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

As per recent info, this pickup will be delayed by 3 months to Feb 2010. This is according to Larry Daniel, senior vice president for sales and marketing at Global Vehicles U.S.A. Inc. This company is M&M US distributor. M&M had to delay it from 2009 to ccommodate nearly 200 product changes recommended by US vehicle consultants and retailers. These changes are now being made. Among the product changes are a redesigned hood and rear end and a new grille.

The base pickup has two doors and two-wheel drive and will have a sticker price of $22,000 to $25,000. The top-of-the-line four-door model with four-wheel drive and leather seats will be priced between $24,000 and $27,000.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks