Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 12:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Telcoline

The dealer in Noida says that the 4x4 double cab will hit showrooms by october for around 6.5lac ex showroom. Can anybody verify this? Also how practical would that vehicle be? For example on a long distance drive would the luggage have to be left open to the elements in the cargo area or does the vehicle come with a good secure and covered storage.
The south african version has remote locking etc., but they did not talk about any luggage thing.
Here is a review of the south african version i found on the net
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...570184,00.html
Old 15th July 2005, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Well, yeah, i've been hearing about it from quite some time. I had read this article long back.. Infact i am a bit peeved at TATA for launching better products abroad and providing low-end products in India..

I for one believe that there is a market for quality pickups in India. Especially in the rich western rural belt of the country..

Manish.
Old 15th July 2005, 14:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Especially in the rich western rural belt of the country..

Manish.
ahem ahem....

dont underestimate other places...esp punjab .....those rural dudes move around in mercs & prados.....one of the richest states in india......
Old 15th July 2005, 18:06   #4
BHPian

Well, i meant the western belt right from punjab in the north to Kerela and parts of tamilnadu in the south. I would leave out Andhra, MP and the other states here..
Old 15th July 2005, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Actually i am myself interested in the Telcoline provided it comes in a 6-seater version.. Has more comfort (legroom and headroom) for the rear passenger than the current 207-DI crew-cab. The gear-shift is not as long (as the current 207) and there is no stupid lever (as the ...) to turn off the engine.. Also, the tail-lights are better (than the ...)

And it should come with a CRDI engine.. Having a F.E of atleast 14-18 kmpl.. Trust me, if TATAs can do it.. This vehicle would be the next major success story in India after M800..
Old 15th July 2005, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

We owned one of the very first Tatamobile 207s in Bangalore in the early 90s.

Its was a great vehicle and fast at that time. It was faster than Estate, Sumo and Sierra because of the light body.

The rear suspension was super stiff and your head would hit the roof in every speedbreaker. First gear was a tractor gear, too short and useless. It had a fantastic presence on the road.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd September 2013 at 20:05.
Old 16th July 2005, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
We owned one of the very first Tatamobiles in Bangalore in the early 90s.

Its was a great vehicle and fast at that time. It was faster than Estate, Sumo and Sierra because of the light body.

The rear suspension was super stiff and your head would hit the roof in every speedbreaker. First gear was a tractor gear, too short and useless. It had a fantastic presence on the road.
The first gear being a tractor gear makes sense as the TATA mobile was targetted at the farm-segment. Little did Tata expect the MOBILE to become a life-style vehicle.

The suspension was the only mistake by TATA. But that is to be expected from a truck-maker foraying into passenger and enthusiasts segment for the first time with the launch of the TATA MOBILE, SUMO, SIERRA and the ESTATE.

Hopefully the TELCOLINE is a better one.
Old 16th July 2005, 14:00   #8

i have seen c couple of them at the octeroi checkpost after vashi bridge they were the 4-door models with 4-wheeldrive and some had a hard cover for the bed with a lock and others had some sort of roll bar whit fog lights at the top at the site of it i thought it was an import but then i saw the tata logo on it but the truck looked like it can compete with some of the japaneese pick-ups
Old 17th July 2005, 19:19   #9
BHPian

Telcoline is definitely coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittibells2005
i have seen c couple of them at the octeroi checkpost after vashi bridge they were the 4-door models with 4-wheeldrive and some had a hard cover for the bed with a lock and others had some sort of roll bar whit fog lights at the top at the site of it i thought it was an import but then i saw the tata logo on it but the truck looked like it can compete with some of the japaneese pick-ups
I believe that the Telcoline launch is definitely on the cards since two months ago while going from Mumbai to Pune via the xpressway I saw as many as five trucks carrying Telcolines complete with the TATA logo on the tailgate and 4x4 decals. Surprisingly all were white in colour. Also somewhere near Haji Ali in Mumbai (close to Nehru Centre and Maruti's Vitesse Dealer) there is a TATA building (no, it's not a showroom) where a single cab white Telcoline is kept on display. Go there n take a look if u don't believe me!
Old 18th July 2005, 10:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittibells2005
Yeah, those were probably on their way to the JNPT to be loaded on the ships enroute to somewhere in Africa or Europe.. By the way, I think that the previous avatar of the telcoline, the tata-mobile was seriously ahead of its time, when it was launched in the 90s.. And it did not catch my fancy at that time, the way it does now..

Manish.
Old 19th July 2005, 16:30   #11
BHPian

Hmm Just went to Prerana Motors today to enquire about the Telcoline. There were a couple of marketing agents from Tata Motors there as well. They seem to have no clue about the launch date in India about the vehicle. Infact for the CRDI safari as well, they were not willing to give any estimated launch dates..

TSK1979, can you verify with your dealer in Noida about the same.

Guys, Any news or information on the Launch-date of the Telcoline or the Safari CRDI will be hugely appreciated.. Since i need to plan a few things accordingly..
Old 19th July 2005, 16:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

It was Automobile Sterling.
I guess there is some RTO trouble as according to Indian law if a vehicle has higher cargo weight rating than passenger weight rating, it is classified as a commercial vehicle.
Safari CRDi is currently under test, so should be here within 6 months. Overdrive caught it on their cam.
As for the actual dates the dealer says oct/nov timeframe but i do not trust them really. For example in march also many dealers kept quiet about Indigo TDi as they did not want to have sitting stock of old indigo's on their hands
Old 19th July 2005, 17:33   #13
BHPian

well, if its for some high quality Pickups, then Toyota, and Nissan are the clear winners in the asian regions and otherwise! none compared to them in strength, quality, features, looks! Tata coming out with CRDi in the tatamobiles and such pickups, its a distant dream!
Old 19th July 2005, 17:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
It was Automobile Sterling.
I guess there is some RTO trouble as according to Indian law if a vehicle has higher cargo weight rating than passenger weight rating, it is classified as a commercial vehicle.
Safari CRDi is currently under test, so should be here within 6 months. Overdrive caught it on their cam.
As for the actual dates the dealer says oct/nov timeframe but i do not trust them really. For example in march also many dealers kept quiet about Indigo TDi as they did not want to have sitting stock of old indigo's on their hands
Very True, The Tata Motors guy told me that its still 3-4 months away.. And that falls in to the oct-nov time frame.. as you said..

Again, as you said, the dealers should not be trusted..
Old 28th July 2005, 22:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

I saw one on the road, the day before yesterday. It was parked on the opposite side of the road. At first I thought that somebody had put the bed of the old Tatamobile onto a 207. But I later saw what I think was a TDi badging. It was painted in silver, a colour I think which is not available on the 207. It did not carry a TC no. though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks