Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 13:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep sharma View Post
The Gio is pretty good-looking when you compare it to the super-ugly small trucks in India..check out the pictures and decide for your self.

For 1.65 lacs they've got sliding seats and rolling windows. Styling and looks wise, I think, Gio is fantastic!
Sandeep, no one doubts the credibility of the machine for its intended use. Its the design aspect which has had the brickbats coming its way.

One positive aspect i see is that since its endowed with 4 wheels and a steering wheel, it will limit the maneouverability of the machine in the hands of the so-called highly adventurous people who drive it.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:41   #62
BHPian

I like the side profile but the front looks ugly, a minor change in bumper and grill gives good look,but it doesn't matter to the person who buys it.I like the gear position ,and it looks cool like auto,but the quality of plastic seems to worst from the pics.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Gio is pretty good-looking when you compare it to the super-ugly small trucks in India..check out the pictures and decide for your self.

For 1.65 lacs they've got sliding seats and rolling windows. Styling and looks wise, I think, Gio is fantastic!
Looks wise Gio is not going anywhere! Most agree here. However i do agree that this is priced very well. But to displace you need more than just 4 wheels to displace Ace. This has leaf springs rear and IFS. Load bay is small. This is basically a 3 wheeled cargo auto carrier on 4 wheels with a powerful engine. All others in compettion has larger load bay and ofcourse they are priced higher.But the competition is robust! It will have to displace 4 wheelers and not 3 wheelrs as you have posted. 3 wheelers will still be preferred in tight galli's where turning radius is important.

To me the real competition is with TATA, Piaggio and Force
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Gio launched today..-1256734033a.jpg  

Mahindra Gio launched today..-force-m4-pick-up.jpg  

Mahindra Gio launched today..-tata_ace.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th October 2009, 16:13   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
So what's next?

INDIA's FIRST COMPACT GIORICKSHAW?
HAH! Great job there Ram. It looks pretty cool, almost like something that is the staple diet of transportation in Thailand.

As for the Gio -- surely most Team-BHP members are not the target market.

What will matter to the target market is PRICE, capabilities, reliability, service network etc -- with looks figuring in close to the bottom.

cya
R
Old 29th October 2009, 16:27   #65
BHPian

Gio Ayo Re!

Short Story: Gio Ayo Re!

Once upon a time, there was launched the Gio. What a vehicle it was.

It belonged to the type of vehicles that LOVE to block the fast lane.

Then, the Gio went on to scare the living daylights out of poor drivers when they saw it a mile off in their rearview mirrors. Then, these poor drivers proceeded to vacate the fast lane in right panic. And the Gio chugged along, it chugged along

PS: Are there any awards called the "The Uglies" for the Auto Industry. Coz if there are, we know whose design dept would be sweeping them First the Xylo, now this...
Old 29th October 2009, 16:28   #66
BHPian

All this looks like a practical joke being played on me. Is no one noticing it or is it just me.

This vehicle looks just like the Ape Piaggio and the name is also very strikingly similar (piag - gio)

Has M & M bought out Ape?
Old 29th October 2009, 16:36   #67
BHPian

Overall such vehicles are:
Underpowered
Always block the way, driven on the right most totally oblivious to things happening behind.
Create lot of traffic & noise pollution.
Driven by the uneducated.
Need to be very careful while overtaking as the sharp grills can cause heart breaking damage to the cars.

In chennai, I see a lot of these on my way to office.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:39   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Overall such vehicles are:
Underpowered
Always block the way, driven on the right most totally oblivious to things happening behind.
Create lot of traffic & noise pollution.
Driven by the uneducated.
Need to be very careful while overtaking as the sharp grills can cause heart breaking damage to the cars.

In chennai, I see a lot of these on my way to office.
Haven't been in chennai, but guess one of those guys would be thinking for sure about this educated guy who drives a powerful car slow than what he used to do even as a kid and always gets blocked behind his vehicle...enna saar
Old 29th October 2009, 18:02   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram,

I think you have given away Mahindra their next vehicle design for free!
Old 29th October 2009, 21:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

I think the person who is in charge at Mahindra Motor has a pet resembling the dog in the pic and is so madly besotted by his pet that he has ordered that everything around his existence should remind him of his pet, including the latest Mahindra 'Soviet Era contraption'(yet again) named Gio. Or, someone must have overdosed on poppers while designing this vehicle as this is a case of 'overboard ugly' even by Mahindra standards.Or, the rest is too graphic for print. It is time SIAM and CII intervene and lay down some common minimum guidelines pertaining to design in the Indian domestic car market, or else more trolls are on que. The 'Manza' is an omen in the same direction. The only physical reaction i have while setting sight on this car is to vomit in sheer disgust.

The inspiration for the Gio
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Gio launched today..-ugly-dog-photo.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 29th October 2009 at 21:41.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The inspiration for the Gio
I heard the inspiration for the design came from Mater in the Pixar movie Cars.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:40   #72
BHPian

To keep intra city/inter city logistics/transportation costs to a minimum, this is fantastic.
It's not designed to WOO the people, infact, its designed to make way for itself through rush traffic for "On-Time Delivery"
BTW, Most of us would let it pass by and would not lock horns with it
Old 29th October 2009, 22:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

many are thrashing the gio for its looks & comparing it to the ace. the ace is much more expensive than the gio whereas the gio, i think, is basically a 3 wheeler converted to a 4 wheeler in interests of safety & comfort.

what is so much in style for the gio? ultimately its a pick up mini truck & it has to carry grain sacks, its not a lifestyle SUV! did the piaggio ape & mahindra champion win any beauty awards?

what matters more is how safe is it, how fast is it, load carrying capability/abilty & how efficient is it?
Old 29th October 2009, 22:51   #74
BHPian

@nick
ROFLMFAO!!

Indeed! It kinda looks like it's wrinkled it's face up in disgust at itself.

What is funny is the way they've tried to cover the ugliness up with stuff like wheel caps and inexistent bumper fog lamps

Yeah, I'm sure people who but it for it's intended purpose wont mind, but Come on!! Given a clean template to work with the designers came up with this? It's like the illegal love child of a Xylo and a pirhana
Old 29th October 2009, 23:28   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I heard the inspiration for the design came from Mater in the Pixar movie Cars.
Aaaw no way,

That character Mater from Cars is so damn cute.

Why is M&M having toothing issues off-late , wonders me.

All M&M vehicles are showing off those stubb tooth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks