Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 18:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Its very very hard to justify banning it as a taxi when the Indian government sees nothing wrong in normal folks buying it. If anything, let the government be consistent. Is it safe? If yes, then let it be used as a taxi. If its not, why is it being sold to private owners. Heck, its even used by many many hospitals as ambulances.
Totally agree with this.How can one ban something which is used by the rest of the nation in terms of cabs or private vehicles.

Is the Omni banned by the WB govt for use by private owner's too?If that is the case then the ban is justfied.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:26   #32
BHPian

To really understand this ban it is important to understand how cars are used (abused) in Kolkatta, uneven roads, non existent traffic knowledge and road sense, any one coming from any where and trams on the roads.

I had witnessed a shunt on a clean clear stretch of road, it was raining and night time in Kolkatta, where visibility was limited. A santro cut a lane, an ambassador taxi came from the left of the santro banged it (about a 10kmph shunt), and went off, no one stopped, neither the santro nor the amby taxi.

This is the way people drive there. I've seen two amby taxi drivers taking out road rage by banging their cars while moving opposite Forum (Elgin Road) in Kolkatta. This happened late at night.

A poor omni wont last five months in the rough traffic there. Anyways, the ban is rightful. The WB govt might just have enough accident fatalities data to back the ban if it goes to the courts.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Finally, someone realised it! It should have been banned years back! And Maruti is right.. its safe(r) than auto rickshaws!!
Old 27th November 2009, 19:00   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I completely support this move by the WB government. I will go on record saying that the Omni is the most unsafe vehicle by design in this country today.

Not having sufficient accident figures (as is most likely the case) is not justification of its safety.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Justified. Again, justified.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Justified. Again, justified.
Saying it twice doesn't make it true
Old 27th November 2009, 21:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have seen omni 8 seater (white board - private car) being used as school van with 10-12 kids + driver cutting in and out of lanes under heavy traffic - hope the directive stops that.
One of my friends owns a omni, and by my experience, the car is very unstable and always tends to topple at high speed curves.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:23   #38
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Omni is unsafe in the event of a crash. But, think of it, with its 1950s constuction, how safe is the Ambassador? It is safer than an Omni, but honestly, the Indigo should replace it.
Old 27th November 2009, 23:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Completely justified, but redundant move. Kolkata cab drivers and passengers swear by the Amby, it forms the character of the city, so no van could ever take its place.

Omni was approved as a cab a few years earlier, thre were just a couple of them for a few months, then everyone forgot about them.

I have seen two Indigo taxi's on the road, yellow with blue stripe. Spoke to one of the cabbie's, he wasn't very happy, he had only taken it on rent, and he was missing the Amby bootspace as well as road presence. 60 yr old still rocks.

Last edited by 1100D : 27th November 2009 at 23:51.
Old 28th November 2009, 01:38   #40
BHPian

Cheers to WB Govt, Omni is totally unsafe vehicle. It would be great if this is implemented all over the country.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:40   #41
Team-BHP Support

I support the move (partially) as well.

I dont see much logic in banning a car, but i think government should encourage companies to come up with better alternatives to the Omni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I completely support this move by the WB government. I will go on record saying that the Omni is the most unsafe vehicle by design in this country today.
What about the auto rickshaws?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th November 2009 at 12:43.
Old 28th November 2009, 14:08   #42
BHPian

I feel this is a totally random move. I think if they are really concerned about safety, they can ban auto rickshaws first and really enforce compulsory seatbelt and helmet laws.

Starting off by banning Omni's IMHO is too dumb and not really going to affect mortalities much anyway. I don't support this at all.
If they want to do this, they might as well ban Omni's entirely, why only as taxis?
Old 28th November 2009, 16:08   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

What about the auto rickshaws?
They are glorified carts anyway !
Old 28th November 2009, 16:22   #44
BHPian

the main reason is the toughness of the AMBY's carrying huge load over the broken road surfaces. The only reason Amby's win hands down.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

The decision may also have a bearing on the unruly Kolkata traffic wherein you find buses, trucks,minibuses, handcarts and even recklessly driven Ambys either alongside or near your bonnet or just touching your car's side or back or fender without any notice. Kolkata traffic is unsafe for two wheelers and the Omni is only a little bit safer than any two wheeler.
But if they were so much concerned about safety, why allow private owners to ply the Omni ? Are their lives cheaper than that of the taxi drivers and passengers?
An Omni with a gas cylinder within and with about 15-20 school children seated can be the most dangerous thing on the roads ever!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks