Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 08:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

City Buses of various STUs all over India

Adding to Bangalore's large fleet of Volvo's is the Tata Marcopolo's. Shot these pics recently. Notice the emergency exit door : very nicely positioned, IMO.

City Buses of various STUs all over India-bmtc-marcopolo1.jpg

The rear indicators can do with much better stuff than these trademark lights from a century ago
City Buses of various STUs all over India-bmtc-marcopolo2.jpg

Quote:
hanmust : Some CV spottings from Blore.
Hurrycane12 : Saw a Force Motors Truck in Bangalore, could not click snaps as it was too dark.
KRf1 : I saw a Eicher Galaxy truck in Bangalore today . It looks like an exact copy of the standard Tata trucks .
Guys, anything special about that Volvo or the Eicher Galaxy you guys saw ? Arent these regular trucks that we see almost every day ?

@Hurrycane, Force trucks - as in the MAN series or the regular 4 tonners ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2009, 22:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Tata MarcoPolos are quite pleasing to look at.But too much Volvo influence.And crude rear sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the swanky side profile.Any pics of the front?
Old 19th December 2009, 23:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Never spotted Marcopolo on Bangalore road, how many of them are here? and which route?
Old 19th December 2009, 23:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Never spotted Marcopolo on Bangalore road, how many of them are here? and which route?
I saw three till now. But only one with a route.

I saw near TV tower with hardly 3/5 passengers. The bus goes from Ganganagar to Electronic city and further.
Old 23rd December 2009, 06:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN
Still remember those days when the TATA and LEYLAND chassis needed a slave engine to drive the AC, now, the AC can be run off the engine!
How this worked?Slave Engine?
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:00   #6
BHPian

Inside the Marcopolo

Got a chance to take a short ride on the Marcopolo, this morning. Route taken was 60A. The conductor said there are 4 hourly schedules. Posting a poor quality pic. of the interiors. Hopefully, anybody here would get a better pic of the interiors sometime soon.

The air con vents, though plasticky, cannot be turned around and broken like those on the Volvo's. It seems to have 4 seats less than it's richer counterpart. And the overall length seems shorter too. And there's no flat bed empty space at the middle section. There are vertical bars all over. There is a rod placed along the front dashboard, making it easy for people to hold and walk along the bus, as it moves forward. The doors beep when they shut, something like in the Metro trains. The doors, again are of the commonly found ones on BMTC, ie. the 4 slit types.

The bus is of automatic transmission, but unlike the "D", "N" and "R" push buttons on the Volvo, this thing has a joystick mounted on the dashboard, with 4 drive modes (couldn't take a close look, though), very similar to those found in automatic cars. The steering wheel is small and seems to be lifted straight from the Starbus/mini Marcopolo series. The instrument clusters too look like they are taken from the common Tata CV bin. The dashboard, overall, seems to crafted better.

Noise inside the cabin is not too intrusive, but apparently seems to be a pitch higher than the Volvo.

Unlike the Vajra, there seems to be no stereo inside. There's no rear view camera too.

For what it is priced at, it seemed well worth it's money. Of course, Tata critics are open to disagree
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-23122009038.jpg  

dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Got a chance to take a short ride on the Marcopolo, this morning. Route taken was 60A. The conductor said there are 4 hourly schedules. Posting a poor quality pic. of the interiors. Hopefully, anybody here would get a better pic of the interiors sometime soon.

The air con vents, though plasticky, cannot be turned around and broken like those on the Volvo's. It seems to have 4 seats less than it's richer counterpart. And the overall length seems shorter too. And there's no flat bed empty space at the middle section. There are vertical bars all over. There is a rod placed along the front dashboard, making it easy for people to hold and walk along the bus, as it moves forward. The doors beep when they shut, something like in the Metro trains. The doors, again are of the commonly found ones on BMTC, ie. the 4 slit types.

The bus is of automatic transmission, but unlike the "D", "N" and "R" push buttons on the Volvo, this thing has a joystick mounted on the dashboard, with 4 drive modes (couldn't take a close look, though), very similar to those found in automatic cars. The steering wheel is small and seems to be lifted straight from the Starbus/mini Marcopolo series. The instrument clusters too look like they are taken from the common Tata CV bin. The dashboard, overall, seems to crafted better.

Noise inside the cabin is not too intrusive, but apparently seems to be a pitch higher than the Volvo.

Unlike the Vajra, there seems to be no stereo inside. There's no rear view camera too.

For what it is priced at, it seemed well worth it's money. Of course, Tata critics are open to disagree
From the interior looks i feel Tata's also have raised thier bar. I feel its a value for money and people can enjoy some comfortable travel.

But the back viewing seats actually looks odd.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Feels great to see seat belts on a Bus! I'm shuddering at how people are going to snigger at me when I get in and put on the seat belt. But guess we must start setting an example for the common man.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:08   #9
BHPian

If this is a City bus for local transport,
& if that city is Bangalore,
& if the avg speed of the bus will be 5-10kmph in city traffic,
then
do we really need seat belts?

NOTE: I strongly believe & follow that we must always wear safety belts.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:14   #10
santoshnair

Best Jnnurm

caught hold of couple of pics of JNNURM Mumbai BEST buses...tk a look
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img00042200912101518.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img00064200912231024.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img00065200912231025.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img00066200912231025.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2009, 16:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
How this worked?Slave Engine?
A smaller engine mounted (usually at the back) just to drive the AC compressor.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am not at all pleased with the engines of these buses. They are too noisy. I would prefer Tata CNG engines over these.

EDIT: I am referring to the engines of JNNURM CNG posted on earlier page.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:11   #13
santoshnair

Trivandrum video|Trivandrum clips|Trivandrum trailers ::Rediff Video search

nice video on volvo low floor buses

Old 25th December 2009, 20:02   #14
BHPian

Here are some pics from Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-1.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-2.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-3.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-4.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-5.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-6.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-7.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-8.jpg  

kadri007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2009, 16:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
koool buses man...wish mumbai cld get it
I agree. I am bored of seeing Kinglong buses. Volvo's ply only in New Mumbai and the only Volvo coming to Goregaon is CBD-Dindoshi one.

I think Volvo's are not CNG friendly as mentioned by BEST spokesperson; AL's should be!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks