Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 11:48   #136
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few pics of the Greyhound service that operates between Washington DC and New York:

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-march2010-295.jpg

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-march2010-305.jpg

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-march2010-306.jpg

The bus covers the 240 miles in around 4.5 hours, with halts at Wilmington, Delaware and Baltimore, Maryland.
What attracted me was the comfy pushback seats, the laptop plug points and the wi-fi in the bus that has a toilet at the rear.
You get all of this for 20 USD if you book online. Comparedt to Amtrak train fare of 65 to 120 USD, this one is paisa vasool.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:26   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Here are a few pics of the Greyhound service that operates between Washington DC and New York:

Attachment 363491

Attachment 363492

Attachment 363493

The bus covers the 240 miles in around 4.5 hours, with halts at Wilmington, Delaware and Baltimore, Maryland.
What attracted me was the comfy pushback seats, the laptop plug points and the wi-fi in the bus that has a toilet at the rear.
You get all of this for 20 USD if you book online. Comparedt to Amtrak train fare of 65 to 120 USD, this one is paisa vasool.
Which make is that? Looks like a Volvo 9700, with the first rear axle powered by the rear mounted engine. Looks good.

240 miles in 4.5 hours means an average speed of around 80kmph - pretty fast indeed by our standards
Old 8th June 2010, 20:22   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Which make is that? Looks like a Volvo 9700, with the first rear axle powered by the rear mounted engine. Looks good.
I think its a Prevost X3-45 coach.This coach has a liftable tag axle. Prevost is owned by Volvo bus corp. Prevost uses detroit diesel series 60 14litre (445bhp) engines for the X3-45 coaches. Volvo d13(435bhp) engine is available as an option. Prevost also assembles the volvo 9700 in US.

Last edited by conjon : 8th June 2010 at 20:35.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:11   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the buses built by corona loos pretty good, better than prakash.
Maybe because they are Unibody construction as opposed to Ladder-Frame. I feel Corona's have not got their due in team-bhp with respect to coverage. I know Binai had travelled in one, once.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:39   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

240 miles in 4.5 hours means an average speed of around 80kmph - pretty fast indeed by our standards
I think Conjon is right with his reponse. I did not see the Volvo sign anywhere.

Yes, the average speed is very good. In fact, you don't even feel it in the bus, when you are zooming at 60 mph. Even the lane discipline is very good, so there are fewer causes that warrant braking on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
I think its a Prevost X3-45 coach.This coach has a liftable tag axle. Prevost is owned by Volvo bus corp. Prevost uses detroit diesel series 60 14litre (445bhp) engines for the X3-45 coaches. Volvo d13(435bhp) engine is available as an option. Prevost also assembles the volvo 9700 in US.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:43   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vnabhi, did you try the Acela between DC and NY? There is no way you will step on a greyhound after experiencing an Acela. BTW where did the greyhound drop you? Behind Penn?
Old 10th June 2010, 18:50   #142
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thought

Caught this bus at Coimbatore bus stand. Looked very imposing missed a camera this one deserves better pictures. Look how well the graphics have been done on the windows. This bus is plying between Coimbatore and Dharapuram
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-dsc00446.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-dsc00448.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-dsc00449.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 20:50   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Caught this bus at Coimbatore bus stand. Looked very imposing missed a camera this one deserves better pictures. Look how well the graphics have been done on the windows. This bus is plying between Coimbatore and Dharapuram
Looks stunning! Though still an ordinary bus otherwise.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:03   #144
BHPian

thats a quite a lookker. front feels like a volvo..
Old 10th June 2010, 23:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
vnabhi, did you try the Acela between DC and NY? There is no way you will step on a greyhound after experiencing an Acela. BTW where did the greyhound drop you? Behind Penn?
Nope, never tried that.I did see some other service from the Union Station in DC that operates to NY--I think it was Bolt Bus Service.

How much does Acela cost, and where in DC do the buses originate from?

The Greyhound dropped me at Port Authoirity Bus Station, close to Times Square. The pics in the post above are at the scheduled stop at Wilmington, Delaware. The elevated platform behind the front part of the bus is the Amtrak Station.
Old 10th June 2010, 23:25   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Looks stunning! Though still an ordinary bus otherwise.
It is equipped with air suspension and has a digital board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
thats a quite a lookker. front feels like a volvo..
It does look good in person, body built by maaruti coach in karur, the bus is almost an year old, spotted and checked it out during my last visit.

Even saw some people/passengers waiting for an hour to board this particular bus even though they have buses every 5-10 minutes intervals (includes other private operators). Even i waited 10 minutes to spot this bus along with my friend who is also a bus operator.

Driver seating position is lowered like in volvo and the steering wheel is modified (i think it has a swift steering wheel) and has good head lamps, LCD's and mobile chargers for passengers.

Last edited by v1kram : 10th June 2010 at 23:38.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:43   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
It is equipped with air suspension and has a digital board..
Srikanth, I see a special features board written on the side(next to the Superman logo). Do you have a higher resolution photo of it? Also, looks like the head room on this bus is higher then normal. And what about TV, I have seen quite a few buses with 2 and even 4 TVs on them. How much did this one have?
BTW! a Swift Steering wheel? Wonder if had the horns integrated as well to aid the trigger-happy driver.

Last edited by DWind : 11th June 2010 at 11:48. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 11th June 2010, 12:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

cant stop laughing.. swift steering wheel on a Tata/AL bus?

India is great!
Old 11th June 2010, 14:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, never tried that.I did see some other service from the Union Station in DC that operates to NY--I think it was Bolt Bus Service.

How much does Acela cost, and where in DC do the buses originate from?
Sorry for the confusion. Acela is not a bus. It is a premium bullet train service in the northeast corridor run by Amtrak. Covers NY, DC, Philly and Boston. NY-DC costs about $130 and NY-Boston costs about $90. The train touches about 250 kmph on certain sections though you can't feel much inside. Mostly used by business passengers and it has great seats, wifi etc.

It also gets priority when entering the underground maze at Penn so you don't have to wait outside for clearance like you would in a Northeast Regional. I have made the NY-DC and NY-Boston trip multiple times and always by Acela. Fastest and most convenient way to get from city center to city center. Worth every cent of my company's money.

Last edited by Gilead : 11th June 2010 at 14:02.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:14   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
cant stop laughing.. swift steering wheel on a Tata/AL bus?
On second thoughts, they used a Swift Steering wheel to align to the theme of using S all over the bus. S in Superman and S in Suzuki?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks