Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 12:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The KSRTC is always the topper in the worst maintenence. Now the Volvo is affected too.
By the way, the Volvo maintenance is done by Volvo itself. I agree, the KSRTC maintenance is the worst. Then why should they go for Volvo, that needs lot of maintenance. Just brought this to point out that KSRTC should not have gone for Volvo, rather bought AL/TM buses under JNNURM.

Last edited by teamveevee : 17th January 2010 at 12:41.
Old 17th January 2010, 13:09   #17
BHPian

I think its good that KeSRTC is allowing Volvo to maintain the buses. Imagine if KeSRTC somehow imagined that they could handle the 9400!

Unfortunately this policy is reserved for videshi brands. If they buy a fully built Tata it has to hammered in their 'advanced' workshops into bits! The case is the 1616 Globus from Tata. They steadfastly refuse to allow Tata to maintain those buses. Instead they are serviced by the same dimwits regardless of the difference in tune/build. I am told by someone senior in KeSRTC that for those buses they don't not even fit the right parts. Parts are bought from dubious sources (often meant for the regular low tune chassis) and fitted as per convenience.

As days progress when more engines and chassis are available I do not know how KeSRTC hopes to manage. This policy of 'inhouse maintenance only' was possible only in those days when only two chassis was available in India - Tata vandiyum Ashok vandiyum
Old 17th January 2010, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The KSRTC is always the topper in the worst maintenence. Now the Volvo is affected too.
Interestingly, KeSRTC on the other hand is much better maintained than most of the STUs in India. Come to Maharashtra, and I'd guarantee you can see atleast one breakdown every 10-25 kms.

The typical Malayalee Mentality of "everything in Kerala is bad" is playing here as well. The Kerala SRTC sure is much better maintained. BTW, the Volvo is maintained by Volvo themselves - so the problem here is with Volvo not responding to their customer on time.

Quote:
I really worry , what will be condition of the Jnnurm Orange Volvo bus's condition after 6 months ?
Lets wait and see... will surely be better than the condition of BMTC's old Volvos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
On the same website they have given that two city buses from Volvo in Cochin is already down in accidents!
IN both cases, the accidents were due to the design of Kerala's roads - having electricity/Telephone poles right on the road instead of the shoulder. In both the cases, the buses got their window glasses broken after they brushed on to the poles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
By the way, the Volvo maintenance is done by Volvo itself. I agree, the KSRTC maintenance is the worst. Then why should they go for Volvo, that needs lot of maintenance. Just brought this to point out that KSRTC should not have gone for Volvo, rather bought AL/TM buses under JNNURM.
Aren't you contradicting here? You said KSRTC's maintenance is worst (which is just a myth), and OTOH state that the maintenance of Volvo is done themselves. So, where is the reason why KSRTC should not purchase Volvo???
Old 18th January 2010, 09:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
the Volvo is maintained by Volvo themselves - so the problem here is with Volvo not responding to their customer on time.

IN both cases, the accidents were due to the design of Kerala's roads - having electricity/Telephone poles right on the road instead of the shoulder. In both the cases, the buses got their window glasses broken after they brushed on to the poles.

Aren't you contradicting here? You said KSRTC's maintenance is worst (which is just a myth), and OTOH state that the maintenance of Volvo is done themselves. So, where is the reason why KSRTC should not purchase Volvo???
I was just agreeing that KerRTC maintenance is bad. But in Volvo's case it is maintained by themselves. Still it fails.
Binaiks, the reasons why KerRTC should not by Volvo, You mentioned the resaons above. I am totally agreeing with you. 1) Kerala roads are not good for current Volvo design. 2) The no of Volvos on road are so negligible, it is hard for Volvo to provide a nation wide support. [the same for any new comers in the beginning, read Eicher, Navistar, etc]
Old 19th January 2010, 00:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

[quote=binaiks;1686764]
Lets wait and see... will surely be better than the condition of BMTC's old Volvos.
quote]

Atleast in ernakulam we can hope better because they have a service bay for Volvo at Kalammassery , that will be an advantage for Volvo buses to get a timely service
Old 21st January 2010, 11:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

I spotted an MSRTC Mercedes at Borivali yesterday. This is a unique spotting as the Borivali - Swargate (Via Sion) trips are done by Volvos. Spotted a merc for the first time on these trips. Condition of the bus was not great.
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

I just visited the bus expo of Tata at Thrissur.

The Globus was there on dispaly , will post the pictures tomorrow.

When enquired more , just came to know that 3 diffrent fleet operators from Kerala have already showned their interest in getting it.

The Tata people told that 5 buses build by AGCL have already been delivered to SRS Travels Bangalore.

Just checked the Air suspension on the new Euro 3 Bus chasis , I just wondered It is a FIRESTONE air suspension.

Does any one have idea about the Normal air suspensions availiable in India ?
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love the Lava Kusha which operates between Bangalore and Hosur.
4 TVs in a single bus. awsome dolby digital sound clarity.
what if you have a headache and just want to relax?
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what if you have a headache and just want to relax?
Its better to go by another bus
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its better to go by another bus
what if you realise it after boarding. Then you are finished esp if its a language you dont understand
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what if you realise it after boarding. Then you are finished esp if its a language you dont understand

Ah !!!! that will be a misarable situation
Old 23rd January 2010, 15:42   #27
BHPian

Does anyone have any information on the types of horns the commercial vehicles have? I have traveled a lot in Volvo's from different operators in the Hyderabad - Visakhapatnam route, and I am a huge fan of the horns these guys put on their buses. They seem to have a melody maker kind of device to change the melody of the horn.

Are these Air horns? I would like to know more about them. Definitely not for buying them, but just out of curiosity.
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Check out some of the bus graphics from thrissur
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-busgra.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-busgra1.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-busgraphics.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-busgraphics-1.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2010, 21:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I was always bye passing this forum till date. To day the PM from GTO reminded me to get into this thread and found there are lots of things to use here. I too will contribute articles in this thread on my bus journeys,
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
AFAIK, Volvo & KSRTC have/had a service agreement wherein Volvo will service all their buses in the KSRTC. Under the agreement, no KSRTC Volvo bus will have more than 5 days a year for breakdowns/repairs. In case the breakdown exceeds 5 days, Volvo is supposed to pay a certain amount for KSRTC for each exceeding day for that particular bus.

I do not know about other conditions like accidents, riots etc, but this was the basic premise of the agreement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks