Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to travel?
Car 87 89.69%
Bus 10 10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 11:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
What if the guy driving from the opposite is sleepy, over worked and drunk...
Good point. But that applies too when you're travelling in a bus who's driver is non-alcoholic, slept 12 hours before starting and back from a vacation. In that case even, if someone from the opp direction is in a mess, I'd say sharp reflexes and a good eye should get you out. But when times up, you gotta go anyway, so..
Old 20th January 2010, 11:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Car, ofcourse is my preference.
But I used to travel lot by Bus also.
(travelling in our own car has got more freedom-we can decide our departure time,
we can stop where and when we prefer etc etc)
Old 20th January 2010, 12:28   #33
BANNED

I always prefer to drive on my journeys and Vitamin M is the only thing that stops me at times from doing it. Nothing beats the comfort, independence and the confidence of travelling in your own vehicle.

The major grouse I have against bus travel is that I have got ill mannered, grumpy and rough co passengers who do not know how to travel with others and that irks me big time.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:31   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Since you now have your Scorpio -being Diesel and nice to drive on highways, this will surely remove any hurdles that may exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I always prefer to drive on my journeys and Vitamin M is the only thing that stops me at times from doing it. Nothing beats the comfort, independence and the confidence of travelling in your own vehicle.

The major grouse I have against bus travel is that I have got ill mannered, grumpy and rough co passengers who do not know how to travel with others and that irks me big time.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

tricky question for me as well. well it depends on road!

for my weekend travel between bangalore to Mangalore, i prefer bus due to pathetically bad roads! even inside bangalore city i generally go by volvo.

but if roads are good, i prefer car anyday rather than waiting for bus!
Old 20th January 2010, 13:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Car is always the first choice, but then practicality sets in.

My choices are:
When I am traveling with family, train (more comfortable).
When I am traveling alone for an overnight journey, I prefer bus(volvo) (as it reaches destination faster).
Vacations, distance < 1500KM - car (driving pleasure, freedom to change plans on the fly).
Vacations, distance > 1500KM - plane.
City commutation on weekends - car.
Office commutation - bus (volvo).
Old 20th January 2010, 13:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Definitely would put my money on getting diesel and enjoying all the torque thrown in by my SUV. For me the downside of traveling by bus is a long list, though would like to mention a few

1 - No flexibility in stopping where you want to.
2 - Co passengers often turn out to be real pricks at times. Read SNORING !!
3 - Its mostly IST (Indian Stretchable Time), these fellas rarely stick to time schedules.
4 - Cleanliness is again a matter of concern in our state of the art buses.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Paradoxically I love bus travel in the city(Bangalore). I'm not upto driving in the wretched traffic. I am ready to drive to Tirunelveli(~700 kms) in a wink, but I balk at going to M G Road or Koramangala.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:28   #39
BHPian

Depends on how well connected the cities are. I did a car drive to Cochin last weekend and was surprised to see many cars on the highway (Until a year back there were very few). Slowly I realised the reason - that the roads are four lane until about 300 km from Bangalore.

However I feel guilty after contributing so much to global warming. I love train rides and hate bus rides though.

Voted for 'Car'.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

My Usual journeys have been Bangalore - Belur - 220 Kms and Bangalore - Pune - 850 Kms and most of the times, we four (Wifey and Parents) travel and it has always made a difference whenever we have travelled by car.

Vitamin M wise it has worked well as we are always foursome with a good enough FE to compete with Volvo fares and We also dont end up paying for Autos/Taxi to reach the Bus Station and 'et al.

We can start whenever we like and reach as per or convenience, take as many breaks when required.

Above all, it always gives me the kick whenever I drive than anything else.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th January 2010 at 19:15.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Major Journeys are all with atleast 4 persons to Vellore,Pondicherry 3 or 4 trips in a year to Madurai from Chennai. For full capacity it is worth to take my diesel Ritz. So I prefer Car.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:36   #42
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Have travelled by VRL, and experience was comfortable and good so far. So I prefer the journey by Bus when I am travelling alone. If I have company I would prefer my car.

@Wildsdi - Please give it a try again in Sharma travels or VRL. I am sure it will be a nice experience, they are quite punctual and neat. Travelling by car ALONE is not a good Idea, there are too many dangers on road which can not be handled alone, be it night or day!
neatly said. when alone i prefer bus, especially it it is a VOLVO.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:16   #43
BHPian

Looks like most of us BHPians got the same choice

for me too definitely Traveling by Car is the first choice.The comfort of stopping any where,Smoke on the go,Drink on the Go (Of course if not with Family) , And the most important part Eat at a place where you want to rather than wherever those Bus wallas will stop

However the Roads on that particular route and Weather surely needs to be taken into consideration.its difficult to drive during Rains,slows down ones speed.
If not Car then Train is a better option but surely not the bus
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Depends, If i am alone, uses car only to get to my town from my house, To reach anywhere outside my town normally use bus/train. If i have one more family member with me, always take car with in Kerala.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedizen View Post
Looks like most of us BHPians got the same choice
for me too definitely Traveling by Car is the first choice.The comfort of stopping any where
Agreed on this point, I too prefer going via car(if not feasible then train) if traveling with family/friends.

If I am traveling alone , there is a choice between train/bus which depends on how much time does each one take. As there are some routes where bus reaches faster than train(Pune - Bangalore, Pune - Indore etc.).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks