Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 01:34   #1
BHPian

Tiny cabin, Wide loading bay - This is Mahindra GIO

Hi everyone welcome you all to know my MAHINDRA GIO - the first GIO in TAMILNADU.
Buying Experience:
Booked this vehicle on January 12th 2010 to be one among the two other cargo SCV's (mini) we use for LPG transport. My first look at the photos displayed in the dealership made me admire more of this miniscule SCV, i contacted the representative to know more about the vehicle, and as in any case of ignorance normally prevailing with Mahindra dealers in Chennai ( Believe me one of that sales representative promised me that there is no autobox in SCORPIO with 4 wheel drive), the sales chap told me that he knows nothing about GIO.

I thought that since this would suit my business, i went ahead and made an advance payment of Rs.20000/-. The next day i called the sales representative to discuss about LOAN for GIO, for which I was ready to shell Rs.68000/- as down payment and the rest One lakh to be approved for a loan. For my surprise and dismay I was told that loan could not be processed, since this happens to be that first enquiry and confirmed booking from TAMILNADU.

Awestruck and not hoping to waste my time I accepted to pay the rest of the amount totalling Rs.1,84,958/- on 18th January.

D.DAY:

I got a call from MAHINDRA Dealership that i need to come to a special launch event on GIO on 21st January at TAJ CONNEMARA, Chennai and take delivery in the evening. Launch event went on well with very many PRESS SNAPS and followed by a decent lunch. I was given a BIG KEY, almost half my height and was asked to take delivery the same evening.

I went to the dealer on the fixed time of 6:30PM and to my surprise again, I could see about 20 personnel from MAHINDRA & MAIHINDRA and the dealer present there to pamper me. I was gifted chocolate boxes, sweet boxes and a gift for my family and lo and behold! they unwrapped my gleaming GOLDEN YELLOW GIO. It was a very nice evening for i felt on top of the world, because no one at the same dealership took notice of me when i bought a BOLERO-SLX in 2006 from them. I was not even offered a sweet in the dealership at that time.

After pooja and all other customary procedures, took my keys and cranked the engine and got off to the road from the dealer. I was carried once again to the top of world, as everyone in the road was eyeing me and my vehicle, I smiled at all of them and at the end before i reached my home, I had a my cheeks aching and begging me to stop acknowledging people.

Need to do a lot to post about GIO here. Until then happy motoring.
Old 24th January 2010, 02:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi narchennai,

Congrats on the Gio.

You've done a good job of describing your purchase experience -- but how about adding some more about the driving experience and the likes and dislikes you have with the vehicle so far.

cya
R
Old 24th January 2010, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

i can understand how you must have felt buddy. Gio has always been ridiculed in this forum but when i sat in the vehicle, it bought a smile to my face! I was amazed by its practicality and also suprisingly found it very adorable. Why, i even ended up almost buying one when i realized i dont need it!
Old 24th January 2010, 15:27   #4
BHPian

Very nice experience. Congrats on the UV. Do post some pics and also your initial experience with the drive. Threads like this don't frequent Tbhp, please do update as you go along.
Old 24th January 2010, 16:31   #5
BHPian

Congrats buddy.
Pictures please
Old 24th January 2010, 16:33   #6

Hey Congarts on your Gio.

You must have felt like an Celebrity that day! Surprised to hear that Mahindra guys are so consistently poor in service. Is this the one in the Mount Road near TVS?
Old 24th January 2010, 22:33   #7
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan. I had done only 30kms until now and the sore point is that gear shifting is not upto mark and sometimes the gear refuses to lock when shifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Old 24th January 2010, 22:40   #8
BHPian

Thank you Rehaan, raj 5004, basilmabraham, amk 2009 and Big Cat.

Raj 5004 - Good that you also bought one, take it to the roads and fell on top of this world.

Big Cat - The whole of Chennai road was eyeing me and even today when i take the vehicle for sprucing up the interiors, i got nearly 30 inquiries asking for feedback and that spoilt my job for the whole day. I mean i was too busy answering the inquiries rather than telling the electrician what to do.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats narchennai!

It'll be interesting to follow this ownership thread of an unusual vehicle!
Could you post some pics of your Gio?

cheers
Old 26th January 2010, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

narchennai,

Congratulations on your GIO acquisition. Nice little write up too. Would be interesting to see some pictures inside out and curious to know how the 2 cylinder crde experience in detail is!!
Old 5th February 2010, 12:36   #11
BHPian

Narchennai,

Iam planning to buy GIO, what is your recommendations? My requirement is movement of textile goods with the city limits, the load will very from 500 to 700 Kgs.

I did test drive GIO and found that the gear shifting was not upto the mark and was not at all comfortable, and the reverse gear lever was little too tight and placed in a awkward position.

Can you give me a good feedback from the people who drives it?
Old 5th February 2010, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice and unique thread! As others have said, please put up some pics. Awaiting further updates on this, especially regarding engine & performance!
Old 5th February 2010, 14:25   #13
BHPian

IMHO the GIO looks lousy.
I saw it on the road and blinked twice to see what on earth that was. When I looked at this thread I realised that we were talking about this piece of machinery.
Perhaps some owners might comment on the performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny cabin, Wide loading bay - This is Mahindra GIO-gio.jpg  

Old 9th February 2010, 22:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Wishes to you narchennai!

I have few questions to M&M
1.Why was this design so unsual?
2.Why did you chose the semi forward cab for such a small vehicle?
3.There could be more space in load body if this design would have been a fully forward cab?

Team's viewsplz!!!
Old 10th February 2010, 13:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
My Wishes to you narchennai!

I have few questions to M&M
1.Why was this design so unsual?
2.Why did you chose the semi forward cab for such a small vehicle?
3.There could be more space in load body if this design would have been a fully forward cab?

Team's viewsplz!!!
Apart from your questions, here is something I did with Paintbrush. Does that look familiar now ???? ...I reminded me of the commercial vehicle common in and around Pune / Mumbai called as APE (I don't know how to pronounce it but it seems to be called as AAPAY)
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny cabin, Wide loading bay - This is Mahindra GIO-gio11.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks