Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 11:04   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
Dear Vaisakhr,

Below link may interset you for your query. Pls check table of "The Modern Scale". Most shippies take a print out of this scale & keep it posted in the bridge (Control Room/Cockpit of Ship)
Beaufort scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With warm regards,
Vijay
Thanks for the link Vijay. This is the one am talking about. I heard about the scale from my boss, who sailed in one of our ships as a guaranty engineer.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:15   #167
BHPian

@ Vaishakr: "one of our ships" That's interesting! Would you mind elaborating more? or else you can PM me.

W.W.Rgds,
Vijay
Old 10th May 2010, 19:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
@ Vaishakr: "one of our ships" That's interesting! Would you mind elaborating more? or else you can PM me.

W.W.Rgds,
Vijay
As I mentioned earlier I am working in Cochin Shipyard Ltd, largest shipyard in India (only a trainee though) we used to mention the ship we built as 'our ships'. Me too currently working on a building vessel. I can give some specs about 'our' current ship.

Its a Platform Supply Vessel. Which is used to shuttle between rigs and shore. It is not so big (only 63m lpp). The following is the main machinery in the ship
  1. Main engine - 2nos - Rolls Royce (Bergen) C25:33L6P
  2. Gearbox - 2nos - Kamewa Ulstein
  3. Shaft Generators - 2nos - (sorry don't remember the make)
  4. Auxiliary Engines(Diesel Generators) - Caterpillar
  5. Tunnel Thrusters - 4nos - 2 bow and 2 stern.
  6. Cargo pumps - 7nos - for diff medium from ballast water to mud.
the list won't end here if I start typing. And besides am mechanical the electrical and instrumentation part is not so familiar to me ( which btw covers 50% of the machinery). The most interesting features about the ship are the Dynamic Positioning and the Auto pilot.

Thats it. 63m shrunk down to 10cm. Guess the compression ratio and the think I have missed to mention.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:57   #169
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Vijay,

It was a real treat meeting you last week. You were so modest to the core & my collegues cannot stop gushing for the "special" treat that you arranged for us at Kandla. With so many things happening around us, we were unable to talk much & I have so many things to discuss with you.
Please do call me up when you are in Mumbai.
I have sent you a PM too.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 14th May 2010 at 17:00.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:07   #170
BHPian

I'm back (Termitaor style)

Can't believe I'm here after almost one month or so. Leraina visited TB sometime in first week of June to check on messages. Anyway it feels so good to get out of the hospital bed & to be literally back in action.
Don't be shocked.
You all may remember my fall onboard one of my ships. Well soon after I had resumed office, I would feel pain in my upper abdomen whenever I took a deep breath & had lost some control over my nature calls. I merely let is pass believing that this may be due to some minor internal muscle swelling that may be healing. Well it was not that way, but of one that took bad turn one night. I felt unbearable abdominal pain & was rushed to the hospital, only to find that I had actually fractured my floating ribs on right side & they were wrongly healing with swelling in & around stomach. This had probably been missed in my initial check-ups, Largely due to my own mis-commuincation with doctors & my carelessness. Well coming back to present stage, I had to undergo three pinhole surgeries to fix my insides & four weeks of COMPLETE bed rest. This caused some hard commercial decisions, especially by Leraina who to my amazement proved to have more knowledge & grit than I could think for myself. Making long story short, we sold one of the ship (The one I had fall on) at marginal profits but more because we got superstitious about this one. We shippies are superstitious ask anyone of them who are on forum. It had brought some bad-lucks since its acquisition. Well the good thing is that we finalised purchase of two other handymax bulk carriers & will soon be bringing them in. Will keep you guys posted & next post will also bring photos of new beauties & few from the ships that under went dry-docking last month.
I also noted that TB was offline today due to some hardware upgradation. So had to wait good two hours before postiong this-one.

Moral of the story: Please do take good care of your health because what you may feel a minor problem today can be a major hospitalisation tomorrow. Live healthy.

With warm regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaypalsingh : 14th June 2010 at 01:10.
vijaypalsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 01:51   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear of the ills --- but what matters is that they are over! Welcome back
Old 14th June 2010, 13:41   #172
BHPian

Vijay Sir, Welcome back. Hope you are feeling great after 4 weeks of bed rest. Its good to see you back in action.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:55   #173
Senior - BHPian

oh.. wondering long silence from you.?
Hope all is well now and you have recovered fully(almost?).
A shippie cannot be out of action for such long period but as you said you have people to take care of things in your absence.
All the best!
Old 15th June 2010, 15:38   #174
BHPian

Awesom!

I am Hooked.
Need more.... Please
Old 15th June 2010, 22:59   #175
BHPian

The ship was in dry-dock at Tampa-USA & was there when the BP oil spill happened in the Gulf of Mexico.
Below are the pix of freshly refurbished deck & LOTS of pix of Engine Room. The ship loaded DAP cargo for discharging at Kandla. She was in Port of Kandla around 18th May'10 & the pix were taken when she was out at anchorage. Hope you guys like them.

THE MAIN DECK(STARBOARD SIDE)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit.jpg
THE MAIN DECK(PORT SIDE)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-2.jpg
MAIN ENGINE HEAD UNITS
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-15.jpg
TURBO-CHARGER (BACKSIDE VIEW)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-16.jpg
TURBO-CHARGER (FRONTSIDE VIEW)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-14.jpg
MAIN ENGINE (BOTTOM PLATFORM)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-21.jpg
MAIN ENGINE (VIEW from SHAFT TUNNEL)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-26.jpg
MAIN ENGINE (VIEW from SHAFT TUNNEL-CLOSE UP)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-27.jpg
ANOTHER VIEW OF MAIN SHAFT (DIAGONAL VIEW)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-17.jpg
MAIN ENGINE HEAD UNITS (TOPSIDE VIEW-NOTE THE HIGH QUALITY INSULATION WORK)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-31.jpg
MAIN ENGINE HEAD UNITS (ANOTHER VIEW-NOTE THE HIGH QUALITY INSULATION WORK)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-33.jpg
HIGH QUALITY INSULATION WORK DONE BETWEEN ENGINE ROOM & CARGO HOLDS
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-34.jpg
FRESHWATER GENERATOR
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-28.jpg
FRESHWATER GENERATOR (TEMPLATE)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-29.jpg
OILY WATER SEPERATOR-A VERY IMPORTANT EQUIPMENT-USED FOR FILTERING OIL FROM WATER BEFORE OVERBOARD DISCHARGING)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-24.jpg
OILY WATER SEPERATOR (WARNING)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-25.jpg
FIRE PUMP & GENERAL BALLAST PUMP
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-20.jpg
MAIN GENERAL PUMP (NOTE THE HIGH QUALITY INSULATION WORK)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-19.jpg
PURIFIERS (THEIR JOB IS TO PURIFY VARIOUS OILS BEFORE THEY ARE FED INTO MAIN ENGINE or GENERATORS)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-13.jpg
GENERATOR # 2
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-9.jpg
GENERATOR # 1
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-aidni-spirit-10.jpg

With warm regards,
Vijay
vijaypalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 23:45   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a wonderful tour.

Is your freshwater generator a reverse-osmosis plant?

I was reading on another forum just lately of the strict laws with regards to the discharge of oil from ships, and that even a bucketful is enough to get a captain into very serious trouble. Kind of ironic to see the notice about it, with what is going on just now!
Old 16th June 2010, 03:09   #177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Is your freshwater generator a reverse-osmosis plant?
It's usually evaporator & condensor based, I think. From my old knowledge, ships also carry a lot of drinkable water, other than using the evaporator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was reading on another forum just lately of the strict laws with regards to the discharge of oil from ships, and that even a bucketful is enough to get a captain into very serious trouble. Kind of ironic to see the notice about it, with what is going on just now!
Again from my old knowledge, these laws used to be strictly followed when the ships were near USA or Europe, but totally ignored around India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
@Carboy: Very nice writeup. Do you have marine background? To credit you, I have taken some points from your above write up & now use it in my lectures that I take at one of the marine institutes. You have summarised it so well that we often overlook such simple explanations & go overdrive. Thanks mate.

To call it a marine background would be an exaggeration. But I have spent 6-7 months around ships really really long back. So long back, it almost seems like it was in an earlier life.

Last edited by carboy : 16th June 2010 at 03:27.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:36   #178
BHPian

I am in a general assumption that these monster engines use crude oil as fuel instead of diesel. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:06   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I am in a general assumption that these monster engines use crude oil as fuel instead of diesel. Correct me if i am wrong.
Its not crude oil. Its called MDO(Marine Diesel Oil). Its more viscous and less expensive than ordinary diesel.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

No, the major portion of the oil used in ships are FUEL OIL ( 180 cst or 380 cst -Grade). MDO is used only small amount while the ship is at sea ,say 2/3 tons per day
and little more when on the port . Modern ship's engines do not require MDO and mainly Fuel oil is used.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks