Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 21:41   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Crude oil is the stuff that comes from the well, isn't it? I didn't think that anything runs on that without some processing/refinement. Can you help the uninitiated by comparing "fuel oil" and "MDO" in terms we can get a feel for (without actually being able to actually feel the stuff itself!)? What is thicker, thinner, expensive, how does it compare with what cars and trucks run on?

Also, trying to get an idea of the scale of these huge engines: how big is each cylinder? each piston? When we look at the main engine above, is this six cylinders we are seeing?

Thanks, carboy, for your explanatory comments.

One thing I get from seeing these pics is a huge respect for the ships' engineers. I've always had a big respect for the masters, because that was one of my fantasy careers. Even, when I took up sailing, much later in life, I used to think how it might be to command something b i g --- manoeuvring in port, and that sort of stuff. My big heroes were the masters of ocean-going tugs, with the incredible seamanship that is called for in rescue/salvage operations.

Now I begin to see what a range of machinery the engineer has to cope with --- and without being able to call on anyone else.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:52   #182
BHPian

@ T.E.G.: This link may interest you. Liquid Minerals Group Inc. - Bunker Fuel

The engineers have much tougher job than the deck officers. The engine room temperature while passing Equator or Gulf countries can go upto 65-deg. Which is quite inhumane. Then you have the main engine, generators, purifiers & other various machinery adding their own heat. In fact when I was sailing as Master, our ship once called an Iraqi port of Umm-Qasr & the daytime temperature on open deck use to be around 58-deg & you can easily add another 20-deg to get E/R temp.
In another incident, a crack developed in one of the M/E liners & the piston jammed up. The ship had to stop in the open sea. This time we had to open the head units & M/E casing while it was still hot & work on it. Our engineers are the actual silent heroes who move these mammoth machines.

I'll give minute details & dimemsions of ME & AE in my next post

@ Carboy: Either you have an awesome memory or as they say in Bombay, Tum hamara "MAMU" bana rahe hou. In case its former than I deeply respect your 6-7 month spent around the ships since you can summarise things quite well. As Mr. Sonu wrote earlier I myself copied few things from you earlier write-up.

@nairrk: Long time no news buddy. How are you? We are expanding into offshore division & will keep all posted.

With warm regards,
Vijay
Old 16th June 2010, 23:43   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

So the fuel a ship runs on is what is left after the other stuff has been distilled off? I can imagine that being burnt in a furnace, but I can't get my head around it being mixed with air and ignited by compression in a "diesel" engine!

I cannot imagine anybody working, let alone stuff that combines heavy work with the need for accuracy too. Even more respect to those engineers!
Old 17th June 2010, 07:01   #184
BHPian

78 degrees ?!? So do they wear some kind of space-suit thingies while in the engine room ?
Old 17th June 2010, 09:47   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
@ Carboy: Either you have an awesome memory or as they say in Bombay, Tum hamara "MAMU" bana rahe hou. In case its former than I deeply respect your 6-7 month spent around the ships since you can summarise things quite well. As Mr. Sonu wrote earlier I myself copied few things from you earlier write-up.
It's been 18-19 years, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
78 degrees ?!? So do they wear some kind of space-suit thingies while in the engine room ?
Engineers & other guys working in the Engine Room(oilers, helpers etc) wear what's called as a boiler suit - it's a full length overall. This is the same thing Engineering students wear during their workshop classes - I think all engineering students used to have a workshop subject in their first year where they learn lathe, carpentry, forging - not sure if this is still true.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:07   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post

@nairrk: Long time no news buddy. How are you? We are expanding into offshore division & will keep all posted.

With warm regards,
Vijay
Yes, trying to survive in this competitive market (you know better about shipping market and the job we involved!).

All the best for your forthcoming expansion (offshore division)

Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 15:03   #187
BHPian

Got it.. what a nasty stuff ship is using as fuel. That comes to another point. How often the carbon deposits must be removed from cylinders, Pistons and rings. Post if you have any pics during the scraping process. We will get an idea how big the piston and cylinder.
I would be interested to know the idle rpm if any. Most of the engines have max power @ 108~120 rpm. Does the ship revved beyond this speed. What kinda engine oil is used for lubrication and how many liters needed? How this monster engine is cranked while starting. Button start or push starting (no offense meant)
Old 18th June 2010, 15:47   #188
BHPian

Lets have a R E A L MEGA Meet on one of these things man...
I'm sure no one will ditch then.
That'll be fun...
Old 20th June 2010, 23:16   #189
BHPian

@ nairrk: Thanks for your kind wishes. I believe the markets are turning for good. My commercial dept is having smooth sailing & hope & pray this good weather continues.

@ vijaycool: We'll soon be taking one of my ships for engine de-carb & also changing one entire unit of our sulzer b&w engine. So the most 'INTIMATE photos of main engine will be posted soon.

@ Sprucegoose: I suggest you get in touch with Sonu (handle: ariesonu) here . He is a a marine surveyor & has open access to ships & port entry. If you are interested, I can PM him. He can take you onboard ships. Our business coire has shofted to South America & Northern Europe. But in case my ships call Mumbai, I'll keep you in mind.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:08   #190
Senior - BHPian

@vijaypalsing
Missing your postings again - Hope you are keeping well?
May be heavy business schedule keeping you busy and no time to log into TBH?
Old 10th July 2010, 12:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Vijay Sir was in Mumbai for almost 20 days & is now in Chandigarh, his hometown. He is suppose to re-join his Oslo office on 15/07. He has almost recovered from his internal injuries & was here for some personal work.

No idea why he is not coming on TBHP.

Raab Rakha.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:31   #192
Senior - BHPian

@vijaypalsingh
more than a month now since you last came on line?
Hope all well with your end..
Presume you are busy and occupied with taking over new ship/s??
Old 12th August 2010, 23:50   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
How this monster engine is cranked while starting. Button start or push starting
IIRC, they use compressed air to crank the engine.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:09   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
IIRC, they use compressed air to crank the engine.
It is cranked by compressed air. Its not a complicated process. All you need to do is turn the key and push the start button .

I have a question. Why a Wheel House is also known as 'Bridge'?

Last edited by vaisakhr : 17th August 2010 at 22:10.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:36   #195
Senior - BHPian

The bridge of a ship is an area or room from which the ship can be commanded. When a ship is underway the bridge is manned by an OOW (Officer of the watch) aided usually by an AB (Able seaman) acting as lookout. During critical manoeuvres the Captain will be on the bridge supported, perhaps, by an OOW as an extra set of hands, an AB on the wheel and sometimes a pilot if required.
Wheelhouses are the small enclosed parts of a bridge which historically held the ship's steering wheel. Today, ship bridges do not have a separate wheelhouse.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_(nautical)

Raab Rakha

Most Viewed