Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 14:11   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Vijay, What does the 'S' on the blue funnel signify? What's the name of this tanker? What is the speed?
regards
The "S" belongs to Charterer company. Let me give you a commercial preview. There are many reputed charter companies in the world (google for OLDENDORF) They rent out ships from owners like us & run them on bareboat or Voyage charter. Most famous in bareboat charter, where a charter company uses the ships as its own but pays rent to the owner. Earlier most owners were themselves charterer's or vice-versa but now its the age of outsourcing so I take the headache of buying ships & they of running it.
Old 6th February 2010, 14:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Moreover pirates have their radars off all the time.Its too hard to detect them.
The ship i am driving right now while i am replying to this thread is 11 years old and it rides better than the new builds.
I'm unable to understand the two statements above. Are you the captain of the vessel that you say you're driving?. And I thought the pirates boats would be detected on the Radar of a Naval Vessel
Old 6th February 2010, 15:01   #48
BHPian

@deutscheafrikar: You have correctly defined the single stroke. The engine are made to run in reverse when the ship has to be stopped whilst underway or if needed to be pulled back. Smaller ships, boats & yachts have pitch propeller which can change direction of its blades to move backwards.

@Car-e-ok
What system you got for steering-robtrack?cjoy? -
A. Steering wheel wioth AUSCHUTZ-KIEL steering system
*Any information about bilge pumps -
A. In my Tanker its FRAMOO pump system. BULKER: Its usual pump & line
*What is the gross tonnage?
A. I'll keep posting GRT.NRT with all my ships
*How about steering?DOes it steer steady?Any pitch and roll issues? M confusewd about yr question.
A. We are talking about Aframax & Panamax ships here. They are huge & yes definately rool & Pitch but not as much as smaller boats.
*What is the delta draft?
A. DELTA???
*what gyro and echosounder you have?
A. TANKER: Gyro is AUSCHUTZ-KIEL & Echosounder is ATLAS COPCO
*what is the maximum speed on papers?
A. Tanker 18 Knots, Bulkers average 15 Knots.
((I have sailed as Master & did my papers from Australia, before truning to ownershisp)) What is your rank?

@ThE_DoN
A. It can cost few million dollars, Usualy 90% of the value of ship is mortagaged to banks. Shipping has its own Insurance clubs (google for STEAMSHIP MUTUAL, NORTH OF ENGLAD, UK PANDI etc) You'll get the idea. Since all this is taken care my my legal dept, I'm usually signing papers & cheques.
A. The cost fluctautaes on steel pricing worldwide. I got them rather cheap because I was ready to take risks in the meltdown. With markets stabilising I can presently sell the 1983 Panamax ship at quite a profit (abt 18 million dollars)
A. I'll keep each ship till its possible. The average age of ships is about 20 years (I have myself sailed on 30 year old ship) & then either they are sold in scrap (Check Bhavnagar & Alang in India as they are the biggest graveyards of ships in the world) OR some real beaten owners, like me, buy them to run for few more years & then scrap them. Usually new owners start from old ships & then if they fore-see good business in future, order for new buildings. I do not intend to do that. It costs money & time. At present I have line-up of 181 (BIG SIZES) ships (age between 15-05 years) ready for sale & can cost me between US 150-230 million dollars each.

@maddy42: Because some owners are real penny pinchers & do not mind putting their crew's life at stake & ask them to proceed without convoy. Here many factors come in. Rest car-e-ok is doing splendid job on my behalf. Thanks mate.
May I suggest you check www.tradewinds.no

@Jayabusa: No my friend but I wish to someday. Presently I'm building my company & then may be one day.. who knows.

You all have seen Gautam Singhaniz's toys on wheels. Well here is his Yacht "ASHENA" presently docked in Princess dock in Mumbai. Its on sale & asking price INR 250 crores (PHEW)

But If I envy someone then its Bhpian 'eckreturns' (Sorry I dont know his real name) He has an awesome garage & interestingly he is from my hometown.
Attached Thumbnails
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-ashena.jpg  

vijaypalsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 15:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I'm unable to understand the two statements above. Are you the captain of the vessel that you say you're driving?. And I thought the pirates boats would be detected on the Radar of a Naval Vessel
These pirate boats are mostly small speed boats made of wood with outboard engines. They always have a mother ship kind of bigger boat in vicinity. These boats are difficult to detect on commercial radars & sometimes get mistaken for fishing boats & that's how they potray till they are real close to a ship & pull out their kalashnikovs.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:19   #50
BHPian

Here is something uniquely different being loaded on one of my ships at present. Behind it are the wings of windmill made by ENERCON. I'm told by my commercial staff that same ship will load some super luxury cars in Europe. I have asked them to get me photos of all cars before, while & after loading. Till then keep your fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-05112009726.jpg  

Old 7th February 2010, 00:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
These pirate boats are mostly small speed boats made of wood with outboard engines. They always have a mother ship kind of bigger boat in vicinity. These boats are difficult to detect on commercial radars & sometimes get mistaken for fishing boats & that's how they potray till they are real close to a ship & pull out their kalashnikovs.
Thanks vijay for clearing it to deutscheafrika . I was on my way to write the same. Pirates drive the worst boat and conquers the best boat. They are normally taken away as fishing trawler or some shrimp boat or something.
@deutscheafrika If i would have been captain buddy i wouldnt have said the ship i am driving.

Quote:
@deutscheafrikar: You have correctly defined the single stroke. The engine are made to run in reverse when the ship has to be stopped whilst underway or if needed to be pulled back. Smaller ships, boats & yachts have pitch propeller which can change direction of its blades to move backwards.

@Car-e-ok
What system you got for steering-robtrack?cjoy? -
A. Steering wheel wioth AUSCHUTZ-KIEL steering system
*Any information about bilge pumps -
A. In my Tanker its FRAMOO pump system. BULKER: Its usual pump & line
*What is the gross tonnage?
A. I'll keep posting GRT.NRT with all my ships
*How about steering?DOes it steer steady?Any pitch and roll issues? M confusewd about yr question.
A. We are talking about Aframax & Panamax ships here. They are huge & yes definately rool & Pitch but not as much as smaller boats.
*What is the delta draft?
A. DELTA???
*what gyro and echosounder you have?
A. TANKER: Gyro is AUSCHUTZ-KIEL & Echosounder is ATLAS COPCO
*what is the maximum speed on papers?
A. Tanker 18 Knots, Bulkers average 15 Knots.
((I have sailed as Master & did my papers from Australia, before truning to ownershisp)) What is your rank?

@ThE_DoN
A. It can cost few million dollars, Usualy 90% of the value of ship is mortagaged to banks. Shipping has its own Insurance clubs (google for STEAMSHIP MUTUAL, NORTH OF ENGLAD, UK PANDI etc) You'll get the idea. Since all this is taken care my my legal dept, I'm usually signing papers & cheques.

@maddy42: Because some owners are real penny pinchers & do not mind putting their crew's life at stake & ask them to proceed without convoy. Here many factors come in. Rest car-e-ok is doing splendid job on my behalf. Thanks mate.
May I suggest you check www.tradewinds.no
Thanks for the info buddy just asked cause i was curious.Must appreciate you got good ship there.
As per my rank,I dont belong to marine staff So in a way i have nothing to do with the ship. I am a seismic engineer and our company owns a fleet of ships on which they send us to do oil exploration. So what we do is we tow 10 km long 10 cables at the back of the boat. And we do exploration in the area with those cables. And my job is to work on computers to explore oil.So we interface bridge robtrack on our system and we manouver and drive the ship from our computer the way we want to instead of calling bridge every moment to go "port" or "starboard". Bridge job is to slow down or speed up or look for fishing gear or something so that it doesnt get caught.
However i am a certified coxswain of fast rescue speed jet boats and propeller driven workboats. I got it last year from norway.Since we need to go out in these boats to fix our cables.

Last edited by Car-e-ok : 7th February 2010 at 00:24.
Car-e-ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 10:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Capt. Vijay Thanks for the replies. Specially the one on the life of a vessel. About the chartering does this mean if you give your vessels out to different charter companies to run will that mean that each of your vessel will have a different funnel color and design? What about the company flag will that too be off a particular charter company on each vessel?
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th February 2010 at 10:04.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:04   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Capt. Vijay Thanks for the replies. Specially the one on the life of a vessel. About the chartering does this mean if you give your vessels out to different charter companies to run will that mean that each of your vessel will have a different funnel color and design? What about the company flag will that too be off a particular charter company on each vessel?
Regards
Do you have some marine background?? I have noted you using some real marine terms in your queries. Yes that's tru, all my ships ahve different funnel markings. bareboat charter means the wholesole commercial running aspects are controlled by charter (including fuel, provisions, water for crew etc) but the crew & safety management remains with us. And also that crew salaries are paid by us.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have some marine background?? I have noted you using some real marine terms in your queries.
Capt. Vijay, I've had a connection with an old shipping company. Other than that not much. Yes I would have loved to be a "Bada Saab" but I didn't go that route. Because Sailing was not for "the only Child' in my family. But inspite of that I had some experience with a vessels main engines and Caterpillar diesel genetators.
Regards
Old 9th February 2010, 13:26   #55
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen,

Here's a small peek into the luxuries enjoyed by officer's on my tanker ship.
Attached Thumbnails
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-dsc04136.jpg  

The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-dsc04137.jpg  

The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-dsc04138.jpg  

The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-dsc04143.jpg  

The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-dsc04144.jpg  

vijaypalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2010, 10:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Congratulations!

What a unique purchase, a first on t-bhp I suppose Thanks for sharing this with us.

More pics please once you get delivery and if its near Mumbai anytime, um, uh, Main chalaoon?

Aldebaran - is this named after the star? How about "Enterprise" if you're a trekkie fan?
Gomzi,

Our new ship is on the way. Guess waht will she be named "AIDNI ENTERPRISE". Alas she is not a tanker but bulker
Old 18th February 2010, 11:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks vijay for providing this insight in to the internals of shipping industry.

Wow that officers room looks more like from a luxury cruise liner rather then a tanker .

Just one question you may ignore it if it is too much poking in to the affairs but what are the kind of profit margins in this industry in percentage terms of investment. If you can provide some range it will be good for GK.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:17   #58
BHPian

Wow,

I love this thread, Vijaypalsingh congratulations on your buys. They look great from the outside and Inside.

You also hail from the city I studied in, St Johns, sector 26. Alas I don't live there anymore but I will go to gateway to have a look at your ships if they are still around.

I was just learning about cars when I got hit with ships, a commercial vehicles thread was a really great idea, whoever thought of it. I'm sure this thread is headed for a 5 star rating
Old 19th February 2010, 17:22   #59
BHPian

I'm hooked onto this thread now, great pictures and an experience I can personally relate to.

I have been on Merchant Navy Vessels, many a times since age 3 to be precise.

Actually my dad's a Merchant Navy Captain.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the costliest purchase ever by a TBHPian. Thanks for the detailed information, I learn something new everyday here from the forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks