Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 18:32   #61
BHPian

would seem like a Noob question but - How/what would you check when buying a second hand Ship? The area is too much to cover in few hours (days perhaps?) - Kind of like taking a mechanic to inspect a Used car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th February 2010 at 20:16. Reason: Duplicate Q removed.
Old 19th February 2010, 20:08   #62
BHPian

nice purchase dude...
surely all BHPians will envy your purchase.
Put some more pics..
Old 19th February 2010, 21:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
would seem like a Noob question but - How/what would you check when buying a second hand Ship? The area is too much to cover in few hours (days perhaps?) - Kind of like taking a mechanic to inspect a Used car.
Good question. Classification & certification given by the surveyor's of Lloyd's Register of Shipping.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th February 2010 at 21:09.
Old 19th February 2010, 21:23   #64
vsh
BHPian

wow! what a thread man, it was a real surprise to find ships here.
i am into financial services and read few words about shipping industry, baltic dry index and known little about the listed shipping companies- geshipping, sci etc. now here is my chance to interact with one of the owner of a shipping company. thanks team-bhp.

congratulations sir, i wish you a great business.

BTW- can you share something about your cars too?
Old 19th February 2010, 22:29   #65
BHPian

That's one nice engine. Thinking about installing one on my Activa for some performance boost. Btw, "Nice ride, Capt. Vijay"
Old 19th February 2010, 23:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
(Let me take you to another world of power; where the BHP is either in four or five figures)

4) Main Engine is SUMITOMO SULZER 5RLB76 (Max output: 14400 BHP @
Fantastic buy (Should have been a very heavy sh(i)opping cart)!
Anything diesel and has turbo gets Pete'd over here so any ideas?.
Our best wishes and heartfelt Congratulations, keep them coming.

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
That's one nice engine. Thinking about installing one on my Activa for some performance boost. Btw, "Nice ride, Capt. Vijay"
Crazy Idea, let's talk about the power to ratio now

Last edited by Maverick_x1 : 19th February 2010 at 23:37. Reason: Re-formatted a bit
Old 20th February 2010, 01:16   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Crazy Idea, let's talk about the power to ratio now
144 BHP per KG ?? That ain't so bad. Maybe I'll have a 0.5-sec Activa.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:37   #68
BHPian

awesome stuff. cars, bikes, ships,plane(any1?). team-bhp stunns badly
Old 20th February 2010, 11:35   #69

Awesome threesome Vijay!

Dear Vijay,

Many thanks for giving us an insight into the world of ships. Made me realise that automobiles don't just restrict to cars and bikes, a lot more like such big machines as ships, tankers, earth-movers, trains even!

And like most of us have to say, we TBhpians are climbing the steps of general automotive knowledge real fast! Kudos!
Btw how about some ships on the home page fellas???

Car-passionately yours,
Shahul
Old 21st February 2010, 21:37   #70
BHPian

Simply Amazing! - the sheer shock of having to re read the first post was entertaining. I thought I made a mistake when I read that Vijay had purchased a ship - this is so far out - Thanks a ton vijay for such an unusual, educative and enlightening thread. Thanks for all those details to Car-o-ek too. PLease do keep them coming Captain.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:59   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Ramesh View Post
Simply Amazing! - the sheer shock of having to re read the first post was entertaining. I thought I made a mistake when I read that Vijay had purchased a ship - this is so far out - Thanks a ton vijay for such an unusual, educative and enlightening thread. Thanks for all those details to Car-o-ek too. PLease do keep them coming Captain.
Thanks buddy for appreciation . I would rather appreciate vijay sir for sharing his marine knowledge and experience.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:40   #72
BHPian

Hi,

The last five days have been maddening rush. Hopping between Argentina, Le Havre (France), Norway & now Mumbai. Interestingly I made some real insights into working of an aircraft & its operations. Well thats for another day. I thank all my seniors & fellow Bhpians for their enthusiastic response. Moreover I have made a commitments to GTO & Rehaan & hopefully you will all something unique to see soon.
GTO/Rehaan: Lets keep this as our little secret.
For the TECH nerds I especially load below pics of our upcoming addition. Specs are as follows:
Main Engine: Sulzer 6RND76M, 6 cylinders of 760 mm each.
BHP: 13500 @ 122 RPM.
The main Engine Head unit
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-main-heads.jpg

The mid part of Main Engine
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-main-enginemid.jpg

The Bottom part of Main Engine (Pls note this is NOT the base of Engine)
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-main-enginebottom.jpg

One of the Turbocharger is under repairs
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-turboc.jpg

One Single (Spare Piston) with crown & rod
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-piston-rod.jpg

Casing of No.2 generator had cracked & a new identical casing was being installed in its place
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-gen-housing.jpg

New Crankshaft of the generator
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-genshaft.jpg

Hope you all enjoy

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2010 at 15:38. Reason: Merging re-uploaded pics into the original post. :)
vijaypalsingh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
The actual period can be from one day to one week or even a month. The real secret lies in knowing who were the previous owners. Like most people prefer to buy a Parsi owned car or a doctor's car. Its another story that I know a doc who just recently rammed his Skoda Octavia & now she is total loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Good question. Classification & certification given by the surveyor's of Lloyd's Register of Shipping.
There is much more than classification only. The documnetation is the last part & one can change CLASS of ships as per owner's will.
vijaypalsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks vijay for providing this insight in to the internals of shipping industry.

Wow that officers room looks more like from a luxury cruise liner rather then a tanker .

Just one question you may ignore it if it is too much poking in to the affairs but what are the kind of profit margins in this industry in percentage terms of investment. If you can provide some range it will be good for GK.
The shipping has high percentage of losses than profits. The margins overall can be very intimidating but then just imagine that your ship stalls for just one week. You have 25 people onboard, their salaries. Daily running cost of ship includes Provisions, Water, Fuel etc for the ship. These all can cost a hole in your pocket. I have known of cases where owners ABANDONED their ships & crew because they could not pay the expenses or truthfully didn't want to pay from their (whatever profits that they had made spo far) pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
Wow,

I love this thread, Vijaypalsingh congratulations on your buys. They look great from the outside and Inside.

You also hail from the city I studied in, St Johns, sector 26. Alas I don't live there anymore but I will go to gateway to have a look at your ships if they are still around.

I was just learning about cars when I got hit with ships, a commercial vehicles thread was a really great idea, whoever thought of it. I'm sure this thread is headed for a 5 star rating
Please be at Gateway between 3rd March & 20th March. One of my ship will be there. I'll give you the new design on the funnel of ship so that you can identify it. Pls do carry a pair of binoculars with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I'm hooked onto this thread now, great pictures and an experience I can personally relate to.

I have been on Merchant Navy Vessels, many a times since age 3 to be precise.

Actually my dad's a Merchant Navy Captain.
May I know which company your dad is sailing with?? Is he a Tanker Master or Bulker.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
wow! what a thread man, it was a real surprise to find ships here.
i am into financial services and read few words about shipping industry, baltic dry index and known little about the listed shipping companies- geshipping, sci etc. now here is my chance to interact with one of the owner of a shipping company. thanks team-bhp.

congratulations sir, i wish you a great business.

BTW- can you share something about your cars too?
My Indian cars garage is rather small. One Range Rover, One Toyota Fortuner & one Maruti 800 (My Lucky charm). I love big cars & also own a Ford Forester in Canada & Dodge Durango in Norway. But one day I wish to own a HUMMER, an actual Hummer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks