Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 17:56   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
He will come back to India on Sunday.
Just as I stumbled on this thread!!!

Wish him speedy recovery.

For the guys who were wondering about profits - this is a very It is a really risky business. And hazard to limb, like the post above, is only an example.

Shipping is a very cyclical industry - means in some years you make abnormal profits, and in some years, you make abnormal losses; so it is very a iffy business, if you look at profits and losses on a 1/4 to 31/3 financial year perspective. And in bad times, you simply cannot "park" a ship waiting for better times; it can often cost you six figure INRs a single day as parking fees in most Indian ports. Keeping them running, even at a loss is often cheaper.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:21   #92
BHPian

vijay sir,

wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:27   #93
BHPian

Hope you recover quickly, Mr. VP Singh
Old 13th March 2010, 02:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Wish you a very speedy recovery VPS. Hope to see ya here soon
Old 13th March 2010, 10:42   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I worked in Bombay for almost 20 years ( the lost glory -Scindia steamship ).
nairrk
Ahaaa the Lost glory, well said. did you board any of the Scindia ships? Do you have any photographs of the Jala's that you'd like to share?
regards
Old 13th March 2010, 14:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
nairrk
Ahaaa the Lost glory, well said. did you board any of the Scindia ships? Do you have any photographs of the Jala's that you'd like to share?
regards
+
yes,I had - all those jala ships and Jay shree (jay ambika, jay gayatri) ships etc when I was working. Thereafter many shiftings (offices/residences) which resulted in losing such important memorable files .
Anyway, I will ask some of my freinds in bombay (who are still working in shipping companies in mumbai), if they can help me.
Old 13th March 2010, 15:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

Mr Singh,
Wondering why no replies from you for so many days!
Presume the accident was not that serious and you are recovering fast?
Hope to see your posts soon!
Old 18th March 2010, 02:35   #98
BHPian

Just for information:
Largest marine diesel engine in operation at this point is 14RT-FLEX96C made by WARTSILA SULZER and producing 109,000BHP at 102 rpm.
This is a common rail diesel engine.Eventhough these are diesels they use Heavy Fuel Oil.
These engines are installed on the maersk line's E-Class vessels starting with Emma Maersk followed by Estelle,Eleonora,Evelyn,Ebba and Elly.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:41   #99
BHPian

when I was a kid I thought after watching Ben hur all ships are manned by guys rowing
imagine how many guys have to row this kind of ships

"Awesome"
Old 18th March 2010, 15:39   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Just as I stumbled on this thread!!!

Wish him speedy recovery.

For the guys who were wondering about profits - this is a very It is a really risky business. And hazard to limb, like the post above, is only an example.

Shipping is a very cyclical industry - means in some years you make abnormal profits, and in some years, you make abnormal losses; so it is very a iffy business, if you look at profits and losses on a 1/4 to 31/3 financial year perspective. And in bad times, you simply cannot "park" a ship waiting for better times; it can often cost you six figure INRs a single day as parking fees in most Indian ports. Keeping them running, even at a loss is often cheaper.
Hi BSD, Thanks for your warm wishes.
Accidents can happen at any place & thankfully all my limbs are intact. I did have a 3 floor fall but survived with only few large muscle tears & some deep lacerations all on my right side. But NO broken bones.

Ship owning is as lucrative & destructive as any other business. Yes I agree that losses can be substantial but same lies for any other business too. There are abundant stories of lost glory of ship owning. Greeks at a time were largest ship owners in the world but today Greece is reeling under financial crisis. Yes stalled ships can cost you dear but then what fun of doing business when you just want everything to be smooth & silky & not ready to take risks because it may hurt you financially. I wouldn't say that I have started making profits but being recognised as one of the youngest (I'm 37) ship owner to come from India holds its own glory & recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
vijay sir,

wishing you a speedy recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hope you recover quickly, Mr. VP Singh
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wish you a very speedy recovery VPS. Hope to see ya here soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Mr Singh,
Wondering why no replies from you for so many days!
Presume the accident was not that serious and you are recovering fast?
Hope to see your posts soon!
KA: Arun, Anku, Maddy, Nairrk.. Thank you gentlemen for your warm wishes. I'll back in action by next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
when I was a kid I thought after watching Ben hur all ships are manned by guys rowing
imagine how many guys have to row this kind of ships

"Awesome"

Well, I added fifth ship in my fleet & she will christened AIDNI LIBERTY. Pics will follow shortly. Now just to look at next one year of operations & fruit bearing.

God bless you all.
Old 19th March 2010, 09:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

@vijaypalsingh
Congratulations on you new addition AIDINI LIBERTY - is she a Panamax or Oil tanker?
At present the market is slightly in favour of Owners so hope you have something to cheer!
I'll send you a PM.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:46   #102
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!!

The first of its kind i Guess at T-Bhp.
Great sailing days ahead!!!
Old 19th March 2010, 22:11   #103
Team-BHP Support

Glad to see you back online vijaypalsingh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
...I did have a 3 floor fall but survived with only few large muscle tears & some deep lacerations all on my right side. But NO broken bones....

Can you tell us a little more about how it happened?

cya
R
Old 20th March 2010, 11:36   #104
BHPian

Incident Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Glad to see you back online vijaypalsingh!

Can you tell us a little more about how it happened?

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,
The crew was painting the superstructure (also called accomodation) of ship in white. In the pic below you can see sketch of platform that was hung just below the window of my cabin. I was standing on that platform to inspect if we can make an access for cables of some communication equipment that was to be fitted in my cabin. Since I was holding to the sill of open window, I did not find it necessary to put a safety belt . Moving sideways I put my hand on wet paint & in reflex movement lost balance and fell all way down on metal deck (my fall is marked by arrow). There is another two meters after the end of arrow point. By sheer grace of god, I did not hurt my head or fell face down, which happens mostly in such cases. Was rushed to hospital where the swelling gave an impression of cracked or broken bones but UST & X-ray revealed nicer skeleton . I had to stay in hospital for one week in Brazil & now am recuperating at home in Mumbai.
The TEAM-BHP bug has also bitten my PA Lareina, who is more frequent on visiting to T-BHP. I dont know if you have any female BHpian but be ready for a spanish nut-head girl to join you soon.
I'll be going back to Norway next week & will stay there till year end. This is the fifth ship & my own commitment of taking my fleet to five ships within Q1 stands fulfilled. Now we'll lay low & see the trend of business for next one year & then plan for future expansion of fleet.
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-liberty-5.jpg
The R-E-A-L BHP Giants: Maritime (Ship) Engines-liberty-8.jpg

With warm regards,
Vijay
vijaypalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 11:43   #105
BHPian

Some people, including my partners have asked me the reason behind the strange name 'AIDNI' for my company. Let see if any BHpian can guess?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks