Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 20:24   #16
BHPian

Minibussss

@Raj_5004...

Considering your requirements here are my views. The following are the models presently avaliable which are suitable for your application. Also mentioned are the respective dealer at Cochin.

From Tata:
FBV - Starbus on 709 & 909 platforms. No Marcopolo mini a/c bus as of now.
Chassis - LP709 (4200WB), LP909(4900WB)
LP712 or LP912 for higher power engine (125HP, BS3)
Its learned that Tata would be launching new LCV platform with CRDI engine within next two months.
Dealer - Popular Mega Motors (I) Ltd

From AL:
FBV - Lynx.
Not sure whether Stag FB a/c version is avaliable in domestic market!
Chassis - Lynx (4200WB)
STAG (4200WB) .
Both have same engine (Hino 120HP, BS2) and can drive a/c directly.
Dealer - TVS & Sons Ltd

From Eicher:
FBV - Skyline (not sure about a/c)
Chassis - 10.90 Bus
Engine is not so powerful!
Dealer - PSN Eicher

From Swaraj Mazda:
FBV & Chassis are avaliable.
Dealer - Maxim Motors

From Mahindra:
FBV - Tourister42. Not sure about chassis.
Dealer - TVS & Sons

Among the above, following are widely used for this application in Kerala market:
1. Ashok Leyland - STAG
2. Tata - LP709
3. Eicher and Mazda to lesser extend.

Ashok Leyland Stag & Lynx have common engine and also its a 4cylinder version of the same engine on your Vikings. But with a Rotary FIP instead of Inline one in your Vikings. There are lot of A/c mini buses based on STAG platform even at Ernakulam. Stag chassis has largest "front overhang" among all. Its very strong & reliable chassis.
Tata LP709 is the most widely used minibus chassis, its time tested one! But now longer chassis LP909 is also avaliable. The engine is same for both (Tata 497TurboIntercooler 90HP, BS2). Also LP712 & LP912 with higher power engine 125HP BS3 can be considered.
The Lynx, TataLP1109, Eicher11.10 etc are ICV (Intermediate commercial vehilces) and Stag, LP709, Eicher10.90 are LCV.
There is no need to go for a short wheelbase big chassis like Cheetah/Viking or 1510/1512 etc.
Its better to go for a chassis & get the body as per your requiremnts from a reputed body builder.
Old 4th February 2010, 23:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
can you post the website link where you saw the mahindra bus?
Picture from Alma Motors website...

In my opinion, Since you already own 2 Leyland buses, it may be better to go with Leyland Lynx. You will be able to use the Same service center, workshop etc and may be even able to share common parts. [With the vast dealership TM got in Kerala, this may not be an issue. Still....]
Old 5th February 2010, 00:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since we are on this topic, i recently traveled in this Tata407 in Munnar. They carry 20+ people and climb the hill pretty easily. Also looks like ACGL body is able to withstand the narrow, bad, curvy roads. Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-tata407turbo.jpg
Old 5th February 2010, 02:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Comparison between AL Stag Vs Lynx

Stag :
-It comes under LCV segment with GVW as 7500 kgs.
- 3600,3900,4200 as WB options.
-Engine - H series HCTI with 88 KW.
-Tyres - 7.5 x 16 - 16 PR.
-Avl as Fully Built - Non AC and Cowl - Chassis options.

Lynx
- Lynx comes under ICV segment with GVW as 1100 kgs.
- Ly3900,4200 as WB options.
-Tyres - 9 x 20 - 14 PR.

Recommendations:
- Lynx - 4200 is a better platform and will meet your requirements of 30 seats.
- Do not go for FB as they come with very basic interiors and further its difficult for you to retrofit AC.
- There is no need for a slave engine and the onboard engine can take care of powering your AC.
- Get the bodies done from (y)our favourite 'SM Kannapa' Automobiles - Prakash.
-Since already you are having Vikings, going with Lynx will certainly help you in service and maintenance with same ASC.
Old 5th February 2010, 02:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think the stag & cheetah are pretty dated.
Hey Raj even your Vikings are atleast 3 decades old.

Never mind they are constantly been upgraded to modern ages.
The Name alone stands same and nothing more.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, we are expecting a 25 seater (pushback/reclining seats) mini bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Raj, not sure about the AC part though since my friend has a non a/c bus for inside city operations. Parts availabilty will be a major deciding factor (main reason for avoiding TATA buses in down south - as per my friend), i would say it would be safe to go with Lynx.

Btw, congrats on your new venture, closely following your thread.
okay, i'll find out. but thanks a lot vikram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
@Raj_5004...

Considering your requirements here are my views. The following are the models presently avaliable which are suitable for your application. Also mentioned are the respective dealer at Cochin.

From Tata:
FBV - Starbus on 709 & 909 platforms. No Marcopolo mini a/c bus as of now.
Chassis - LP709 (4200WB), LP909(4900WB)
LP712 or LP912 for higher power engine (125HP, BS3)
Its learned that Tata would be launching new LCV platform with CRDI engine within next two months.
Dealer - Popular Mega Motors (I) Ltd

From AL:
FBV - Lynx.
Not sure whether Stag FB a/c version is avaliable in domestic market!
Chassis - Lynx (4200WB)
STAG (4200WB) .
Both have same engine (Hino 120HP, BS2) and can drive a/c directly.
Dealer - TVS & Sons Ltd

From Eicher:
FBV - Skyline (not sure about a/c)
Chassis - 10.90 Bus
Engine is not so powerful!
Dealer - PSN Eicher

From Swaraj Mazda:
FBV & Chassis are avaliable.
Dealer - Maxim Motors

From Mahindra:
FBV - Tourister42. Not sure about chassis.
Dealer - TVS & Sons

Among the above, following are widely used for this application in Kerala market:
1. Ashok Leyland - STAG
2. Tata - LP709
3. Eicher and Mazda to lesser extend.

Ashok Leyland Stag & Lynx have common engine and also its a 4cylinder version of the same engine on your Vikings. But with a Rotary FIP instead of Inline one in your Vikings. There are lot of A/c mini buses based on STAG platform even at Ernakulam. Stag chassis has largest "front overhang" among all. Its very strong & reliable chassis.
Tata LP709 is the most widely used minibus chassis, its time tested one! But now longer chassis LP909 is also avaliable. The engine is same for both (Tata 497TurboIntercooler 90HP, BS2). Also LP712 & LP912 with higher power engine 125HP BS3 can be considered.
The Lynx, TataLP1109, Eicher11.10 etc are ICV (Intermediate commercial vehilces) and Stag, LP709, Eicher10.90 are LCV.
There is no need to go for a short wheelbase big chassis like Cheetah/Viking or 1510/1512 etc.
Its better to go for a chassis & get the body as per your requiremnts from a reputed body builder.
thats was indeed very comprehensive & helpful. thanks a lot mate.

that the lynx engine can be directly coupled to the AC would be a big plus point.

but from what i have compared, the eicher 10.90 chassis is 8677 mm long whereas the lynx chassis is just 7966 mm long.

the eicher website says it can accomodate 22 P/B seats. one of a travel company in kerela has 7 eicher mini buses built on 10.90 chassis with 19 P/B seats.

so the lynx being shorter in length, how will it accomodate 25 P/B seats?

the eicher website says 11.10K chassis with a length of 9475mm accomodates 25 P/B seats, but i assume that will be too expensive. totally confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Picture from Alma Motors website...

In my opinion, Since you already own 2 Leyland buses, it may be better to go with Leyland Lynx. You will be able to use the Same service center, workshop etc and may be even able to share common parts. [With the vast dealership TM got in Kerala, this may not be an issue. Still....]
frankly, the mahindra bus looks horrendous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Stag :
-It comes under LCV segment with GVW as 7500 kgs.
- 3600,3900,4200 as WB options.
-Tyres - 7.5 x 16 - 16 PR.

Lynx
- Lynx comes under ICV segment with GVW as 1100 kgs.
- Ly3900,4200 as WB options.
-Tyres - 9 x 20 - 14 PR.

Recommendations:
- Lynx - 4200 is a better platform and will meet your requirements of 30 seats.
- Do not go for FB as they come with very basic interiors and further its difficult for you to retrofit AC.
- There is no need for a slave engine and the onboard engine can take care of powering your AC.
- Get the bodies done from (y)our favourite 'SM Kannapa' Automobiles - Prakash.
-Since already you are having Vikings, going with Lynx will certainly help you in service and maintenance with same ASC.
sure, its fixed we wont go for FB bodies.

if the AC can run on the onboard engine, its a huge plus point.

if we get the body done at prakash, advantage is that body style & colour can be kept same, to maintain uniformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Hey Raj even your Vikings are atleast 3 decades old.

Never mind they are constantly been upgraded to modern ages.
The Name alone stands same and nothing more.
yes, that i agree! lol...
Old 5th February 2010, 11:48   #22
BHPian

Raj, if you want 25 seater puchback I think you will have to go for a nine tonner. That will make it more spacious also.

Perhaps you can wait for the new 914 coming from Tata with 140 hp/400Nm CRDi engine instead of going for the regular LP 912.

The Lynx with 120hp is a good chassis too.

But both Lynx 120hp and 912 are quite rare in Kerala. Not that you should worry about it. But it might have some implications when it comes to parts after a year or so.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
travel company in kerela has 7 eicher mini buses built on 10.90 chassis with 19 P/B seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
But both Lynx 120hp and 912 are quite rare in Kerala. Not that you should worry about it. But it might have some implications when it comes to parts after a year or so.
Same could be true with Eicher also...
Old 5th February 2010, 15:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

guys, if you had to select between the AL Lynx or the Eicher 10.90 chassis, which one would you select?

Quote:
Raj, if you want 25 seater puchback I think you will have to go for a nine tonner. That will make it more spacious also.

Perhaps you can wait for the new 914 coming from Tata with 140 hp/400Nm CRDi engine instead of going for the regular LP 912.

The Lynx with 120hp is a good chassis too.

i am hearing some good comments about the Lynx here. it also has the advantage of a powerful engine compared to the eicher so that the AC can be directly coupled to it. the only issue is that its length is much smaller (7966mm) compared to the eicher (8677mm). so the AL cannot be a 25 seater.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Lynx offered with a different engine? AFAIK, its available only with the 120hp engine.

AND, Lynx is not at all a rarity in Kerala - Atleast 30-45% of Private stage carriages in Thrissur District are built on Lynx Chassis - not a single road trip passes without seeing one here.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
guys, if you had to select between the AL Lynx or the Eicher 10.90 chassis, which one would you select?
i am hearing some good comments about the Lynx here. it also has the advantage of a powerful engine compared to the eicher so that the AC can be directly coupled to it. the only issue is that its length is much smaller (7966mm) compared to the eicher (8677mm). so the AL cannot be a 25 seater.
If you are looking for 25 Pushback seats, then the overall length of the chassis does matter! And your choises are narrowed to the following:

1. Ashok Leyland STAG (4200WB)ALPSV3/26 - 8054mm(overall length)
2. Tata - LP909(4900WB) or LP912(if avaliable) - 8895mm
3. Eicher 10.90K (4800WB) - 8760mm

Among them AL STAG has better front overhang so that you can place the doors at front(just like your Viking) without extending the chassis.
Lynx is shorter in length but wide'est among all LCV/ICV models in the market(2400mm). (Illustrative images of minibus)
But to accomodate 25PB seats you will need TataLP909 or Eicher10.90K!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-picture20006090404.jpg  

Looking to buy a Minibus: EDIT- AL Stag bought. Pics on Pg. 8 & 9-3090127.jpg  

Old 5th February 2010, 20:41   #27
santoshnair

good mini buses good design

Old 5th February 2010, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I would select something from TATA 900/1109 series (main reason being less price, contract carriage = not much overloaded and rough use) or Lynx (for its heavyduty chassis).
Old 5th February 2010, 21:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
If you are looking for 25 Pushback seats, then the overall length of the chassis does matter! And your choises are narrowed to the following:

1. Ashok Leyland STAG (4200WB)ALPSV3/26 - 8054mm(overall length)
2. Tata - LP909(4900WB) or LP912(if avaliable) - 8895mm
3. Eicher 10.90K (4800WB) - 8760mm

Among them AL STAG has better front overhang so that you can place the doors at front(just like your Viking) without extending the chassis.
Lynx is shorter in length but wide'est among all LCV/ICV models in the market(2400mm). (Illustrative images of minibus)
But to accomodate 25PB seats you will need TataLP909 or Eicher10.90K!
you always manage to confuse me further!

the Lynx is out of question as the length is too less. so the choice narrows down to stag or eicher.

advantages of stag being it is AL (better for us) & the engine is powerful enough to run the AC, no need for separate engine. disadvantage is that the eicher is longer.

advantages of eicher is its length & disadvantage is its engine power. i am not sure whether the AC can be directly coupled to the inboard engine in the eicher.

i will take the quotation of the AL stag, Lynx & eicher 10.90K. price is also a major deciding factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
I would select something from TATA 900/1109 series (main reason being less price, contract carriage = not much overloaded and rough use) or Lynx (for its heavyduty chassis).
as Transsenger stated above, lynx is not long enough! else it was No. 1 on my list.

i would avoid tata as i have personally had only bad experiences with tatas. also, after a few enquiries here & there, i have heard that tatas dont have a long life, etc. but i agree that i dont know how far is it true.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
i will take the quotation of the AL stag, Lynx & eicher 10.90K. price is also a major deciding factor.

as Transsenger stated above, lynx is not long enough! else it was No. 1 on my list.

i would avoid tata as i have personally had only bad experiences with tatas. also, after a few enquiries here & there, i have heard that tatas dont have a long life, etc. but i agree that i dont know how far is it true.
Just check with some operators for the seating capacity of Lynx, if it suits your purpose then it's the best bet, even though a new platform it's well received by operators. Regarding Tata even i heard about the longevity but personally have seen plenty of old 909 mini bus running perfectly (with proper maintenance).
Not sure about Eicher since haven't seen much of them.

My replies are purely based on the feedback from city bus operators in Coimbatore. Opinions may change at different places.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks