Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 17:34   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Found this on FB, a container train (not in India) and as per comments its carrying 244 containers on 132 carriages and 4 Engines

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=779824372077800
Old 26th February 2015, 10:26   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on FB, a container train (not in India) and as per comments its carrying 244 containers on 132 carriages and 4 Engines
Indian Railways have tried similar stuff, but with severe limitations. Goods rakes generally have around 60-70 wagons and one or two locos (depends upon the load). IR joined two such rakes to form a "Python" rake and have tried it in some routes. At present IR has a facility to MU (Multiple-Unit) two or three locos, but they have to be all together. In such a case the drivers need to be available only in the leading loco. The one's behind that all would work based on instructions from the lead loco.

In foreign countries MU-ing also happens using Radio technology. This means that locos can be attached even in the middle and rear of the rake. They all will still work in tandem, with instructions coming from the lead loco. Drivers need not be present in the other locos.

Python rakes also have only limited success. Mainly because we do not have dedicated freight lines. And secondly these rakes (which are two regular trains) cannot be accommodated in loop lines/sidings; if a higher priority train needs to be passed through. So running a Python rake requires lots of coordination, so that crossing, giving precedence and stoppages all decided well in advance, and accommodated into existing working time tables.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 10:22   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Saw these metal rolls being hauled by a WAG 9 during a recent visit to Surat station:

Attachment 1340280

Have seen these rolls lugged by trucks and ships but this was a first for me so decided to click a snap.
These are HR Coils being moved via RAKE. Taking into account close to 30 Million MT of these coils Ply across the country in a year with each coil weighing 20-30 MT depending on the mill, its the most cost effective way.
maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 11:29   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
In foreign countries MU-ing also happens using Radio technology.
IR's version of it is called distributed power system or DPS. Also known as locotrol. While we have only heard of this, some locomotives are coming with this feature. Allows them to be radio controlled in a long freight consist. Hubli's WDG4 12169 has DPS.

I still feel it is going to take a while before we trust the remote operation system 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
GTL Baldies still in action in the Braganza Ghats?
I have not seen GTL. GY is what usually dominates the baldie brigade in the sector and has been for years. Now limited to serving only passenger trains.
Old 27th February 2015, 11:38   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
GY is what usually dominates the baldie brigade in the sector and has been for years. Now limited to serving only passenger trains.
I read this in IRFCA forum - the bible for Indian Railways. GY has got a set of WDM locos which has a special safety feature incorporated. These locos operate on the Braganza Ghat. The loco has a special Annett's Key using which a lock can be put on the loco. This ensures that the loco does not exceed 30kmps (?) or some similar slow speed, and if it exceeds that the brakes gets applied automatically. This is helpful during the down hill run, if some thing goes wrong. The brakes gets applied automatically if the train charges down the ghat section.

At Castle Rock the lock is put on & Annett's Key is handed over to the Station Master. The same loco at a later point of time would push up another rake as bankers, and come back to Castle Rock. Their the Annett's Key is returned, and the lock is unlocked. The loco can then run on higher speeds.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 15:26   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
IR's version of it is called distributed power system or DPS. Also known as locotrol. While we have only heard of this, some locomotives are coming with this feature. Allows them to be radio controlled in a long freight consist. Hubli's WDG4 12169 has DPS.
I still feel it is going to take a while before we trust the remote operation system 100%.
LOCOTROL® is a registered trademark of GE Transportation. In August 2011, I was at the GE office in New Delhi for a discussion, for providing the distributed power system in Siemens powered WGD4 locomotives. It was supposed to be offered to Indian Railways as a Siemens-GE solution. We are in 2015 now and I don't know what is the status of the project as I moved out of the organization. Initial plan was to support 2 banks of locomotives and each could be controlled individually. One bank could be set to throttle up while the other for braking. DPS is a very reliable system and is being used worldwide for years. In India Railways, the decision making time is painfully slow.

Last edited by A350XWB : 27th February 2015 at 15:28.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 16:49   #442
BHPian

Hi All, I am new to this thread.

Fascinated to see those pics and this thread has helped in improving my understanding of Railways in India.
I can see quite a good number of Railroad geeks here, this is a request from my end.

1. Can you throw some light on various locomotive engines in India. It would be great if you could share more info with some good pics along with its application, capacity, manufacture etc.
I saw one of the pics in the thread where there is a loco engine which looks like that of the bullet train. Is that in india ?

2. Ive also read that we have exported our wagons and engines to many developing nations in Latin America and Africa and a few other countries in asia. Any pics on that.

I hope you would have the same ready on your system somewhere. Cant wait to see them coming. Thanks in advance
Old 13th March 2015, 17:16   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

1. Can you throw some light on various locomotive engines in India. It would be great if you could share more info with some good pics along with its application, capacity, manufacture etc.

I hope you would have the same ready on your system somewhere. Cant wait to see them coming. Thanks in advance
http://irfca.org/

Explore and enjoy!
Old 13th March 2015, 17:29   #444
Team-BHP Support

Always wondered why the cabins of the locos aren't air-conditioned. They aren't still IINM and FWIR online, a few diesel loco cabins had ACs but were removed later on.

I thought the loco pilots deserved something better than the fan especially during the peak summers. Not to mention the machinery’s heat intruding the cabin despite all the insulation the bulkheads can provide.
Old 16th March 2015, 20:12   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Always wondered why the cabins of the locos aren't air-conditioned. They aren't still IINM and FWIR online, a few diesel loco cabins had ACs but were removed later on.
I thought the loco pilots deserved something better than the fan especially during the peak summers. Not to mention the machinery’s heat intruding the cabin despite all the insulation the bulkheads can provide.
One of the reasons was not to make the driver cozy and comfortable. Strange, but true. Railways felt that adding facilities like a toilet and AC in the cab make the drivers more comfortable thereby reducing the alertness. From my limited experience, the cabin driver's cab is a horrible workplace, especially on the old Alcos.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 16:46   #446
Senior - BHPian

"The beautiful Decauville Primrose led a military existence.She started her career on the Decauville Railway over strategic lines in the North West Frontier. The locomotive was later moved southwards, and was used for instructional purposes at the Madras Engineering Territorial Army Group at Bangalore. The engine's saddle tank has a very unusual shape: apart from being straddled atop the boiler, it also hangs onto the two sides of the tender, making the engine appear like a pannier tank. When the Decauville first came into the NRM, she was painted in a rich deep chocolate colour, and bore the name 'PRIMROSE'."

This was used by MEG & is now in the National Rail Museum in New Delhi.

Railway Pics-11062427_829020310505049_7566494828028793213_n.jpg
"35.1 A comparatively drab looking Decauville as photographed in Nov. 1997."

Railway Pics-11017517_829020303838383_3749035264995866641_n.jpg
"35.3 A postcard sold at the NRM in 1981 showed the Decauville in a much richer deep chocolate colour, and bearing the name 'PRIMROSE'. This is a b/w shot of that postcard."

Railway Pics-15779_829020307171716_2461168310580850531_n.jpg
"35.2 In happier days, we could climb into the exhibits. This shot from the Decauville's windshield was taken in 1981 with a cheap plastic lens box camera."

Source: I read about it at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bygonebangalore

Original post credits as mentioned in the group:
http://www.irfca.org/~shankie/nrm/outdoor3.htm
Old 17th September 2015, 08:59   #447
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Few pics of the Dudhsagar Falls taken during a short trail walk from Kulem to the falls. Note the goods carrier in the pics, makes for a perfect "Kodak Moment" !
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-dscn6609.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6616.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6618.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6621.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6624.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6633.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscn6636.jpg  

//M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 10:46   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Few pics of the Dudhsagar Falls taken during a short trail walk from Kulem to the falls. Note the goods carrier in the pics, makes for a perfect "Kodak Moment" !
Wow!! Nice. That's a real moment. When was this taken ? I thought railway police were not allowing anyone to the falls..
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 16:01   #449
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Wow!! Nice. That's a real moment. When was this taken ? I thought railway police were not allowing anyone to the falls..
Yes the RPF has been very strict. But they arrive near Sonaulim and Dudhsagar only by 7:00-7:30 am, there's still ample time early in the morning to make a quick dash to the falls !
Old 25th September 2015, 07:20   #450
Senior - BHPian

OFF THE RAILS

A ticket examiner captures the beauty of Indian Railways in these colourful paintings
An Indian railways ticket examiner has created beautiful art work capturing life around trains, platforms and stations.

Scroll Staff · Jul 09, 2015 · 04:00 pm

Apart from being the largest employer in the country, Indian Railways has often been an inspiration to many a creative pursuit, ranging from travelogues to odes on the sights, sounds and romance associated with train travel. Celebrated authors from Rudyard Kipling and Intizar Husain to Ruskin Bond and Satyajit Ray have rhapsodised on the charms of the railways.

One would imagine that those who work in the railways would, however, be immune to these sights and sounds, but it's not the case with Bijaya Biswal, Train Ticket Examiner in Nagpur division of the Indian Railways. Biswal, known for his brush strokes that have in the past painted wondrous portraits of men and the world, has now turned his attention to the railways. In a series of water colour paintings, he has brought out the hidden charms and beauty of a railway junction and the lives that revolve around it.

Shared by the Salem Division of Southern Railways on their Facebook page, his art work quickly went viral, with people hailing him as a genius and some even suggesting that "he should be running his own art gallery and teaching art" rather than examining tickets for a living.

Six pictures of the paintings may be viewed at the link below:
http://scroll.in/article/739955/a-ti...rful-paintings
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-p10.jpg  

Railway Pics-p9.jpg  

Railway Pics-p7.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5.jpg  

Railway Pics-p1.jpg  

Railway Pics-p6.jpg  

Railway Pics-p3.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 25th September 2015 at 07:22.
vinay kamath is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed