Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 04:55   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am hoping that by the time he is ready to be a loco pilot, the bullet trains are running full steam (no pun intended) in India
Completely forgot about this. Might be worth pursuing what the requirements are for a Bullet train driver. JR or Japan Railway is supposed to operate the trains. This will be of a very high standard and should ideally be on par with how the Japanese operate their trains. We are supposed to see them whizz past in less than 5 years from now.

To be honest, I still prefer our slow trains versus the Bullet train :-).
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 05:10   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. This is just brilliant. I can just imagine him getting super duper excited about this. Do they also sell the miniature stuff?
Yes, they have some model trains on sale in the museum but it was expensive. There is a shop called Decibel models on FB. This is in Delhi and sells pre owned and new ones. Very quick to respond to queries and helpful.

This is the website for the above

https://www.decibelscalemodels.com
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 10:18   #753
BHPian

Quote:
I have an off topic query. It’s about my son who is 6 years old. He is absolutely crazy about trains. Since he was 2 years old, he has been watching videos on YouTube about trains. When children of his age were watching cartoons, this guy used to see videos of trains (and sometimes car reviews). I have spent countless hours standing at a railway crossing close to my house to wait for that one train he wants to see. Sometimes it’s the “blue passenger express” and sometimes it’s the “red express”. I thought it is an infatuation that will fade away with time, but he is 6 and still going strong. His fav toy (no marks for guessing) is Thomas and Friends. He has about 52 pieces of these engines, and he keeps making stories of these engines.
Hey shifu,

After reading this para I could vividly recollect my younger days. The hours I patiently waited for a glimpse of my favourite train that whizzed past me gave me some of the biggest thrills of my life. Even today when I visit my grand parents place in Vizag, a stones throw away from Simhachalam railway station, I cannot resist the urge to go to the station and spend a couple of hours watching numerous passengers and freights. The tracks are visible from the house's terrace too but I was not content with that after I got a bit older to venture out alone.

All the railfanning started at the age of 7. I remain a huge railfan. I am only an occasional trainspotter these days though due to time and work constraints.

I can totally relate to your kid. There are many railfans out there like me. So he is not alone and of course not "mad". When you have the chance why don't you catch a Falaknuma-Lingampalli MMTS and take your son with you. You can show him Hussain Sagar triangle(intersection point of Hyderabad line, Secunderabad line and Begumpet line), Sanatnagar goods yard(lots of freights and locos) and Lingampalli station. See if he is interested. You can also take him to the nearest suburban station in the evenings and watch several express departures. A lot of this stuff is for recreational reasons.

Quote:
At first I was a bit worried about this madness. But he is otherwise ok, and looking at the passion you folks have on this thread, I am not really worried. However, I would really like to help him pursue this passion. I have started reading about the various locomotives there are in the Indian Railways, and try to explain him. But he is only interested in the colour of the train/type of train etc as of now.
Like I said railfanning is a recreational activity at this age.

After Bachelors, I had thoughts of pursuing a serious career in railways but that was not to be. Railway jobs are not yet that high fetching as say IT industry. Thankfully over the last few years there have been a lot of changes, for the better, in the organisation. The employment conditions have improved a lot. I talked to several staff including loco pilots, guards, station masters etc., they said the situation is becoming better. The pay has increased, work hours are being streamlined and provided better facilities. But there is a lot more to do to make it an efficient organisation.

Your son still has a couple of decades to make that decision. By then, who knows, railway jobs can become sought after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
https://www.irfca.org/

This train craze was with me from the day I could recognize a train. Years went by under the feeling, am I the only crazy chap out there who likes trains? Then I stumbled upon Irfca back in 2002-2003. I also discovered that my child hood pal, who is also on tbhp, FM tharian, is another train crack. This was discovered way back and when we were just 8 or 10 years old. A gold mine of information related to the operations of Indian Railways is available on Irfca. The group used to have an active Photo sharing library. I believe this has stopped. However; the collection in there is huge. The Irfca forums is another useful place together information. A few passionate folks are also IR employees. The group has yearly meets too which is very well organized. I have attended one of them a decade ago.

Do allow your son to follow his passion and interest. I did not, could not and regret it in a lot of ways.
Irfca forum is a great place just like TBHP to discuss and know anything about railways. The forum has photos, videos, discussion threads, updates etc. that focus on railways. As a longtime member, I am part of SC, SBC and VSKP railfan gang. We also meet sometimes at railway stations.

Last edited by strawhat : 15th May 2018 at 10:25.
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 17:29   #754
BHPian

Just came across this article interviewing two loco pilots about the dark experiences they have had throughout their career.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...rack-81443?amp

I am sure every senior LP will have such stories to look back on.
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 18:28   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Just came across this article interviewing two loco pilots about the dark experiences they have had throughout their career.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...rack-81443?amp

I am sure every senior LP will have such stories to look back on.
The sad part of the job.

I can understand how stressful it would be for the LP to witness someone getting run over.
When the Level crossing was active near my house before a flyover came up, there used to be many run overs, both accidental and suicides and I have seen the bodies from far and it used to freak me out for few days.

At present , especially in city limits in Bangalore, the lines have been cordoned off with walls which prevents entry to some extent. This was more to stop animals entering the lines too.
Old 8th July 2018, 10:27   #756
BHPian

I saw this video in YouTube today which shows the Indian Railways constructing a subway in a record breaking time of under 5 hours! Sharing the video here.

Edit:

Adding a news link of the same here

Quote:
Indian Railways constructed a subway crossing in just four-and-a-half-hour between Pendurthi and Kottavalasa line in Andhra Pradesh.
Quote:
The Railways authorities used 16 heavy duty excavators, three heavy duty cranes, five tippers (truck), 1,000 sandbags, four hydra machines, heavyweight jacks, and a workforce of as many as 300 people to complete the task.

Last edited by Flyer : 8th July 2018 at 10:34. Reason: Adding content
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 20:52   #757
Senior - BHPian

Shared by a good friend of mine. Pic credit to Ramanand. Shot somewhere in Western Ghats where he had been vacationing earlier this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1532100094687.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 23:34   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

From Swarajyamag.com:

Indian Railways Shows ‘Steam Spirit’; Attempts Trial Of Iconic Beyer Garratt Locomotive For Commercial Runs

Railway Pics-beyergarratt.jpg

Railway Pics-beyergarratt1.jpg
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 06:31   #759
Senior - BHPian

^^Very nice. These iconic locomotives could be put into mainline use for excursions. In many countries, rail enthusiasts are putting together effort to restore many of these old steam and diesel-electric locomotives.

Here is a picture I took of a rebuilt, New Zealand (Originally British) built JA class #1271 steam locomotive. It was running an excursion trip. The locomotive has clocked only 10lac kilometers and post rebuilding, could push out 1200 horse power. An achievement for a design from 1956.
Railway Pics-dsc_0235.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:07   #760
BHPian

Railway Pics-img_20181001_16261701.jpeg

A pic from a recent trip to Panval Viaduct. This the Marusagar Express to Ajmer on the viaduct
MadiMaama is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:05   #761
Senior - BHPian

A train stuck in traffic Jam.
How is this remotely possible? I received this photo as WhatsApp forward claiming that this happened in Gwalior.

Railway Pics-223.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:18   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, and what does he want to do after he grows up? Again, no marks for guessing, “Train Driver”
When I was a kid, I wanted to be an engineer.

Only because I thought an engineer was thw one who drove the railway engines.

Nothing wrong with his passion, however it's still many years before he actually makes a firm decision. By then his interests might have changed!

Do ask him to start getting into the science and math of it. I guess that will also help if he wants to seriously pursue a career with the railways.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:18   #763
BHPian

Here is my video driving parallel to train in Gujrat while coming back from Koteshwar.

Who_are_you is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 10:32   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A train stuck in traffic Jam.
How is this remotely possible? I received this photo as WhatsApp forward claiming that this happened in Gwalior.

Attachment 1816970
It is very much possible. This is the Narrow gauge track which goes from Gwalior to Sheopur Kalan and was part of the Gwalior light Railway system.
It is narrower than the usual Narrow gauge tracks and it crosses the road at some places.
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 07:57   #765
Team-BHP Support

Dylan says it right! Times.. they are a changin

Here is a story of resurrection of the Yelahanka railway station.

Here are some old snaps of the station that I had post 2-3 years back.
(Cross Linking from this same thread)

And then, the work started to make this one a nodal station to take off the load from Bangalore City. And not to mention the electrification of Bangalore-Hindupur line.

The road to transformation

How it looked then:
Railway Pics-camerazoom20160401173401445edit_lr.jpg

Work in Progress
Railway Pics-camerazoom20160723174845833_hdr_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00393_hdr_lr.jpg

Broken Pieces
Railway Pics-dsc00418_hdr_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00427_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00433_lr.jpg

The Elements of Past

Railway Pics-dsc00434_hdr_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00436_hdr_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00437_lr.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00438_lr.jpg

Welcome to the Future!

Railway Pics-img_20181106_164159.jpg

Railway Pics-img_20181106_164206.jpg

Railway Pics-img_20181106_164440.jpg

Railway Pics-img_20181106_164628.jpg

Railway Pics-img_20181106_171613.jpg

Yes people still come early morning to take a walk and enjoy the whistle of a railway train. However, you do feel that lump in your throat and a pain in your heart to realize that the old world you used to know is gone and that it has been replaced.

But then that is the irreversible process; called life

Last edited by ampere : 13th November 2018 at 08:34.
ampere is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks