Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 09:29   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A train stuck in traffic Jam.
How is this remotely possible? I received this photo as WhatsApp forward claiming that this happened in Gwalior.

Attachment 1816970
Yes this is one of the few surviving Narrow Gauge line. And unlike other toy narrow gauge lines in hill stations which are mostly for tourism this is in use by villagers for commute.

This line was laid during the time of Gwalior State by Sindhias and used to run from Bhind-Gwalior -Sheopurkalan.

Since Gwalior is on main broad gauge line of GIPR ( CR or NWR now) there is a junction station where BG and NG platforms are parallel. In the city there was a section with 3 tracks ( from Railway station to Jaivilas Palace) on which both NG and BG train could run. It is said that president Rajendra Prasad and Nehru came to the palace on train to sign accession of state to Indian Union in 1947.

Today Gwalior - Bhind section is broad gauge as part of Guna -Itawa railway line. And this NG train runs from from Gwalior to SheopurKalan ( some 220KM) . The pic is from a place where the track runs in middle of the road at a place called Kati Ghati.

Earlier the trains were hauled using steam engine but sometime in 80s this was changed to Diesel locos.
I have fond memories of seeing this train and waiting at a level crossing barrier on my way to school.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th November 2018 at 09:32.
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:50   #767
Senior - BHPian

This video has been doing rounds on the inter web. Section is supposed to be between Vijaywada and Renigunta.

Someone pulls the chain (ACP or Alarm Chain Pulling), train stops and now the Assistant locomotive pilot can't get to the coach to reset the alarm. Yes; you need to go to the coach from where the alarm was triggered to reset it. The train ended up stopping on a bridge and the coach to attend was number ten from the locomotive. With no gangway to walk along the bridge, no connected vestibule, the assistant locomotive pilot decides to approach the coach from under the train. He gets to the coach, does whatever he has to do (probably a reset) from the coach where the alarm was triggered. While all this is happening , the guard of the train arranges for a JCB working in the area to help the driver get off the bridge. I thought this was outright scary and would have probably been better for the driver to have crawled back to the locomotive, considering the bridge is one of those ballast filled concrete units so there is no question of you falling between the sleepers. Anyway; the locomotive pilot is supposed to be safe and the train resumed journey after about 40 minutes.

This is the kind of work one has to contend with from time to time if you sign up for a job with Indian Railways as a locomotive pilot. On a positive note, looks like we did well over the last few years in bringing down rail related accidents.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd January 2019 at 05:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:43   #768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I thought this was outright scary and would have probably been better for the driver to have crawled back to the locomotive, considering the bridge is one of those ballast filled concrete units so there is no question of you falling between the sleepers.
The clearance between the coach and the tracks, especially on LHB rakes is pretty low and along with the ballast, crawling underneath 10 coaches would not only have been painful but the ALP may have also had some bumps and scratches while on his way to the coach to reset the ACP.

On the other hand, it is much easier and safer to sit inside/stand in the bucket of an excavator and have it transport you to the loco cab, much like working on a cherry picker.

Whoever thought of this idea was really smart.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:37   #769
BHPian

Quote:
This video has been doing rounds on the inter web.
This video reminds me of another such incident at Srirangapatna Cauvery bridge between Mysore and Bangalore quite recently. Another chain pulling case. But this time, the guard had to walk on the narrow, exposed girder with nothing but a drop under him if he put a foot wrong. Here's the video.

Unfortunately, situations like these are a part of their routine. Sometimes they will have to re-enact such feats in dead of the night with just a torch for company. The train won't move unless the alarm is disabled under the coach.

The possibility of undertaking such hazardous task by either LP's/guard in a dangerous scenario is always high. Before they turn into a misadventure, IR has to bring in a mechanism to disable the alarm by guard from his/her compartment, albeit with a valid reason and evidence. Ridiculously such feats fetch a reward of Rs. 5000/-.

Last edited by strawhat : 22nd January 2019 at 09:43.
strawhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:23   #770
BHPian

Damn! After looking at both these videos, my respect for these people has increased many folds. I have always read about the stress that the loco pilots are in and now this. I always wanted to be a Loco pilot from childhood and now am in a way glad, that I did not become one. Hats off to these people.

I hope, the culprits who pulled the chain were nabbed and fined/punished appropriately else our people have a mindset to do this just to trouble others and derive sadistic pleasure out of it. Like pointed out bu Strawhat, I too feel that there should be a mechanism to disable the alarm from the engine or the guard room itself so that these people are not exposed to such risks
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 18:54   #771
BHPian

The first Train 18, named Vande Bharat express, will run between New Delhi and Varanasi and will cover the distance in 8 hours flat. Poorva express, the current fastest connection, takes 11h30m. But Mughalsarai, just 20km away from Varanasi, is served by Patna/Howrah Rajdhani's that take 8h50m.

Link
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 19:03   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This video has been doing rounds on the inter web. Section is supposed to be between Vijaywada and Renigunta.

Someone pulls the chain (ACP or Alarm Chain Pulling).......the locomotive pilot is supposed to be safe and the train resumed journey after about 40 minutes.

This is the kind of work one has to contend with from time to time if you sign up for a job with Indian Railways as a locomotive pilot. On a positive note, looks like we did well over the last few years in bringing down rail related accidents.
Thank you for sharing. Would the experts know if it is possible to find out who pulled the chain and whether the culprits are ever brought to book.
Old 28th January 2019, 19:14   #773
Senior - BHPian

Picture taken yesterday near Shark food court on Bangalore Hassan highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1548683012528.jpg  

Railway Pics-1548683026855.jpg  

Railway Pics-1548683042454.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 19:41   #774
Team-BHP Support

Some from my end

Taken at Railway Bridge, Manipal: one of the most beautiful place I've visited, especially in the monsoon.

Railway Pics-dsc06278.jpg

A station on Konkan railway where half of the train is inside the tunnel

Railway Pics-dsc04197.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc04200.jpg

Trying this out! Warning: the coins fly very aggressively like a projectile when the train passes over them so be careful, cover your eyes

Railway Pics-dsc03025.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 22:06   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Picture taken yesterday near Shark food court on Bangalore Hassan highway.
Must be HAS-YPR superfast intercity. AFAIK it is the only train that regularly gets an EMD in this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Taken at Railway Bridge, Manipal: one of the most beautiful place I've visited, especially in the monsoon.
Excellent photographs. Makes me very dreamy!

Konkan railway is one of those routes that always offers something unique in every journey. The abundance of greenery on show during monsoon especially is unparalleled.

I am actually planning day time trips the upcoming monsoon through this entire zone starting at SRR with breaks at MAQ, MAO and finally PNVL. Looking forward to a lot of sights to behold.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 09:40   #776
BHPian

I went to tirupati last week. Saw this new type of 3 AC coach in one of the station. Also attaching one of my click of a child in a train in renigunta station. The child was very eager and curious on seeing food.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1550117340962.jpg  

Railway Pics-1550117420933.jpg  

sairamboko is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 10:00   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I went to tirupati last week. Saw this new type of 3 AC coach in one of the station.
That's a new design of LHB coaches and commonly called as Bezel-less design as windows appear to be merged. But in reality, it's mainly blackened window area which gives it a bezel-less appearance.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 04:27   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you for sharing. Would the experts know if it is possible to find out who pulled the chain and whether the culprits are ever brought to book.
If the ACP happens within the station premises, then RPF catch the culprit on the spot. I've seen it at Vijayawada, Rajahmundry and many other stations. If it happens on the move, it becomes tough but if there is RPF patrol, the culprits can be caught.
Old 18th February 2019, 09:18   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Attachment 1842748

Trying this out! Warning: the coins fly very aggressively like a projectile when the train passes over them so be careful, cover your eyes
Memories ! Had tried this decades back, when waiting at the railway crossing was a regular affair. Never thought to check the track itself after the train passed. But then, this impression would not have happened with the aluminum coins we had tried with.

ps.: closing eyes will not be enough - the pressed coin will have a sharp edge on the side that the train's wheel start the crushing.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 18:52   #780
Senior - BHPian

Couple of pictures taken by my colleague who was in Ooty and Coonoor last weekend. Pics credit, Ms. Carol
Railway Pics-img20190219wa0027.jpg

Railway Pics-img20190219wa0028.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks