Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 13:24   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I did a train ride upto to Hosur and back a month ago and the electrification is on full swing. The ramp from Baiyapanahalli to Salem line had just poles when I was on the train, now the wires are up. The metro work can be seen as well in the first video.

I had done a trip to Salem on this line sometime after it was converted to BG, it is a scenic line after Hosur, especially the ghats nearing Omalur. Now with electrification, that charm will be lost.
Who can forgot the throttle noise of a diesel locomotive. i was always fascinated by that noise especially when the loco is beginning to accelerate. Sometimes feel SWR should have given focus on doubling of Hosur-Baiyappanahalli stretch rather than electrification so that the charm is not lost.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 13:30   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Excluding time to pre-heat, lubricating, turning checking, starting a diesel engine like this in marine applications it could take from a few minutes to 10-15 depending on the circumstances and procedures they use.

Not sure what happens on trains though, would love to hear!

Jeroen
Here is a video showing the starting procedure of an old rebuilt ALCO that is ECU controlled. These old ALCO's were retrofitted with ECU's from the earlier mechanical governors for better efficiency.

tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 14:41   #843
Senior - BHPian

Does any one have the video of the train route from Rayakottai to Marandahalli. The route looks to be a circuitous one.

Railway Pics-rayakottai-marandahalli.jpg
Old 5th December 2019, 14:56   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Does any one have the video of the train route from Rayakottai to Marandahalli. The route looks to be a circuitous one.
It a very nice trip on the train on this section. It can be accessed by road between Hosur and Dharmapuri on the state highway.

tharian is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:28   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

A quick question.
I read somewhere that shutting off a diesel locomotive and then turning it on would require about 70 L of diesel. That is why they are kept running idle at stations. The other reason is once the engine is shut down, the oil would drain back to the sump and for it to lubricate the engine parts (given the size of the engine), it would take about 15-20 min.
Correct me if I am wrong

This is a myth. Trains certainly do not take 70 l to start up. General apathy, poor maintenance of batteries could be the reasons i could think of. I have seen EMDs and ALCOs shut off in the last few years.
Old 11th December 2019, 18:53   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes feel SWR should have given focus on doubling of Hosur-Baiyappanahalli stretch rather than electrification so that the charm is not lost.
IR has prioritised 100% electrification. Actually this project has made good progress since it kicked off. From railways (and govt. by extension), perspective I can understand they want to reduce diesel imports. Electricity is cheaper than diesel and also cleaner. The pace of 3 phase loco (WAP5, WAP7, WAG9) production was also amped up over the last few years.

As a passenger and railfan, I agree with you, more focus should be on doubling as this will have more impact on speeding up of trains than electrification. Case in point, completion Gooty - Yelahanka electrification last year. Timings wise there hasn't been any improvement since. But in case of Mysore - Bangalore, doubling has resulted in cutting the journey time from 10 mins to 30 mins for several trains. Certainly, sections with scenic terrains like the one above, Konkan, Satara, Shiradi ghats will look less beautiful.
Old 13th December 2019, 17:51   #847
BHPian

A beautifully shot aerial video capturing the electrification works in Konkan railway.
strawhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 18:58   #848
BHPian

Another aerial video, this time of Braganza ghats and topic is doubling.
strawhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 22:05   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting from the 'Rants Bangalore Thread' The upcoming Halt station next to Bangalore Airport

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4734125 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)
Old 21st February 2020, 08:29   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

First electric loco speed test trial run of the Byappanahalli - Anekal Road section in Bengaluru- SWR. As per all the reports, the loco was a KJM WAP7 'Chamundi'.

Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 09:40   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
First electric loco speed test trial run of the Byappanahalli - Anekal Road section in Bengaluru- SWR. As per all the reports, the loco was a KJM WAP7 'Chamundi'.
Nice! But will surely miss the good old days of the WDM! On the same lines, when taking one the famed double diesel (TN/GT/AP/KA/KL) from New Delhi to south, it was such a sight to see them sweep through.
Old 21st February 2020, 09:41   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajeevraj, Nempuguru, Strawhat, Tharian, SJM1214, Akmar Unk9aj, Sairamboko, Paragsachania and many others,

Thank you for posting these lovely and informative photos and videos of our Railways. It is highly educative for folks like me. I for one am thrilled with the sudden burst of improvement and cleanliness that has been brought into the Railways in these 8 to 10 years - speed, cleanliness, modern trains etc. keep posting :-). Till mid-1980s I almost always traveled by train - air was way too expensive and in those days junior officers even in private sector went by train. And the last 15 years I have gone by train only thrice! With all these modern trains looks like train travel will come back soon into my life.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:11   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice! But will surely miss the good old days of the WDM! On the same lines, when taking one the famed double diesel (TN/GT/AP/KA/KL) from New Delhi to south, it was such a sight to see them sweep through.
Agree. But should be around for a couple of years more in the BYP-Salem section as Hosur to Salem work I think will take a bit more time. But once that is done and with the focus of complete electrification, I guess WDMs are all on the way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Rajeevraj, Nempuguru, Strawhat, Tharian, SJM1214, Akmar Unk9aj, Sairamboko, Paragsachania and many others,

Thank you for posting these lovely and informative photos and videos of our Railways. It is highly educative for folks like me. I for one am thrilled with the sudden burst of improvement and cleanliness that has been brought into the Railways in these 8 to 10 years - speed, cleanliness, modern trains etc. keep posting :-). Till mid-1980s I almost always traveled by train - air was way too expensive and in those days junior officers even in private sector went by train. And the last 15 years I have gone by train only thrice! With all these modern trains looks like train travel will come back soon into my life.
Would partially agree with you Sir. - There have been significant improvements, no doubt. But only in certain areas and pockets. A vast majority of the rolling stock of railways is still old and outdated and it will be hard to tell any significant difference from 30 years back.

Still a long long way to go-Especially in the south as much as I have seen. Track doubling, electrification, automatic signalling systems, suburban systems all need a lot more focus.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:21   #854
BHPian

CRS inspection and speed trial completed yesterday for Baiyappanahalli - Anekal Road line. Works are getting almost completed in hosur. Around April I think MEMUS can operate from SBC or BYPL till Hosur.

https://twitter.com/drmsbc/status/12...915535872?s=09

Edit: adding some relevant videos.

Last edited by sairamboko : 21st February 2020 at 10:26.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:29   #855
Senior - BHPian

Some Glimpse of engine and train compartment of narrow gauge railway at Vadodara to Dabhoi line at Railway Heritage Park, Pratapnagar, Vadodara.

Railway Pics-01.jpg

Railway Pics-02.jpg

Railway Pics-03.jpg

Railway Pics-04.jpg

Railway Pics-05.jpg

Railway Pics-06.jpg

Railway Pics-07.jpg

Railway Pics-08.jpg

Railway Pics-09.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed