Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:49   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Wow the Sakaleshpur - Subrahmanya Road Ghat uses 3 Locos for a passenger train ?

I guess these 2 coupled Locos would be permanently shuttling all the trains that pass by - to and fro across the Ghats.
Yep these 2 engines work as bankers for the Locos pulling the goods rake along the ghat section.

By the way, these same engines were coupled to a flatbed rake carrying some iron rods towards Sakaleshpur from Subrahmanya Road. Not sure what this was though.

This 55 kms stretch has approx 247 bridges(whatever it is called), 57 tunnels.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:28   #92
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Makalidurga is one picturesque station. Need to add it to my to-do list of treks. Thanks for posting those pics.

@Fillmore, AFAIK, those engines are used as bankers for all trains passing through the ghats. Not sure they are used only for banking or they do other duties as well.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:59   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Wow!! Makalidurga is one picturesque station. Need to add it to my to-do list of treks. Thanks for posting those pics.
Its very close to Gati Subramanya. The temple location, from where you start the climb is nothing less than scene of dacoit movie! Fantastic location!
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:13   #94
BHPian

Jeebers..good to see fellow lunatics (that's what my wife calls me when I get excited upon seeing train/loco/station/goods train/tanker/stationary rakes...heck even railway track). Good to know I am not the only one who loves anything-related-to-trains. Let me freely wander at an abandoned station or tracks/loco shed/around decommissioned locos or carriages and I can happily spend a life time there.Watching Indian trains on youtube is my best timepass when its just "me, my laptop & I" at home. Really loved all of the pics in this thread. Guys really good work and keep posting. Never been on a train for a long journey (Traveled Jalandhar to Lucknow when I was around 8-9yrs old, so wouldn't count that ) and desperately want to go on one. Longest stretch I've traveled is Jalandhar to Delhi and most of summer holidays always brought a train journey when I was a kid. Damn let me be a kid again and I'll choose to travel by train every moment of that time.
Punzabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting rail fanning session today.

An LPG rake coupled with diesel pail from Gooty WDM 3F and WDM 3M (limited to 80 km/hr). Really a weird coupling. This was at the Shampura LC, could not click any pics.

At Yeshwantpur Train no 16517 had a KJM WDG3A an off-link for today. A casual chat revealed that the Mysore section and the Hassan up to Mangalore does not have track capacity exceeding 100 km/hr.

Yeshwantpur - Secundrabad express 12736 coupled with Kalaram WDM3A.

No pics for this time as I did not want to get in to trouble with the RPF.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

Foolish Question: Do the engines have washrooms for the Loco Pilots?
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Foolish Question: Do the engines have washrooms for the Loco Pilots?
No. This is one of the most discussed topics on IRFCA. Lack of wash rooms and air conditioning are the two biggest drawbacks in our locos.
raju2512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:54   #98
BHPian

Train videos with a slightly different perspective

Old 23rd June 2011, 14:54   #99
BHPian

One from my end...taken somewhere near Davangere on NH4 at a diversion.

Railway Pics-train-1.jpg
nix1976in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:04   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
One from my end...taken somewhere near Davangere on NH4 at a diversion.

Attachment 565252
That's a Classic ALCO engine smoking away to glory. If you have more, keep em coming.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:02   #101
BHPian

I always thought it was the diesel engine which drives the wheels.
It blew me away to find out that the Locomotive is nothing but a giant generator on wheels driving electric motors, which moves the wheels.

HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Locomotives Work"
Old 25th June 2011, 17:53   #102
Team-BHP Support

Had uploaded this is a different TL by airguitar. Adding it here again, as it adds to this log very well!

The konkan line running near Ankola Kamat!

Railway Pics-img_0209_mod.jpg
Old 25th June 2011, 21:34   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I always thought it was the diesel engine which drives the wheels.
It blew me away to find out that the Locomotive is nothing but a giant generator on wheels driving electric motors, which moves the wheels.

HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Locomotives Work"
That is what I meant here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A couple of years ago I was travelling the Chennai - Tuticorin sector by train almost every week-end. There were a few occasions when I had to travel un-reserved too, and the coach was right next to the diesel loco. I will get down at Villupuram to have tea and this particular driver will also come to the same shop, that is how I got talking to him.

Hey, I even posed the "average kya hai" question to him! He said the consumption for the Chennai - Villupuram leg (~150 KM) was 900 litres! There were three more legs of roughly equal distance to go (Villupuram - Trichy, Trichy - Madurai and Madurai - Tuticorin) so we could assume a similar 900 X 3 pattern, a total of ~3600 litres of diesel. The total distance is 656 KM, so the mileage is something like 5.5 - 6 litres of diesel per KM travelled! Not bad for a vehicle that carries more than a 1000 passengers in sleeper comfort!

He also mentioned the correct nomenclature is not "Diesel Loco", but "Diesel Electric Loco". It has a two stroke diesel engine which runs a generator, and the train actually runs on the electricity produced by the generator.
Old 5th July 2011, 22:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Train songs are a recurrent theme in Indian movies, irrespective of language. Here is one of my favourites - the eternal "Hero singing from Jeep, Heroine reacting from train" piece, but with a nice smoking diesel loco, a classic jeep and the lilting voice of Shankar Mahadevan!

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 22:56   #105
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

One from my side. That young kid is me, and the pic was taken in the year 1993 somewhere in Rajasthan.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-scan0004-2.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks