Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 17:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wow,i was just searching through different threads and came across this.Railways is another thing that interests me just like automobiles.I'm myself attached to IRFCA through forum and have many snaps of the diesel beasts.Just a couple for the time being.First one is WDP4B,a passenger loco and next one is WDG4,a goods loco.
Hi BoneCollector!
Good to see an IRFCA'n in T-BHP. What's your handle in IRFCA forum? I'm a long time member but inactive nowadays.

Thx
Old 14th June 2011, 17:39   #32
BHPian

Fantastic thread!! Its such a lovely thing to travel by train.

Chennai has a history of suburban train transport which was introduced by the British. The British had such a fantastic foresight that they had introduced the suburban train way back in 1931 with the metre guage being operational till 2004/2005.

I have to highlight the last day of MG suburban service here. I was then in my college. After college hours, boarding the suburban at Tambaram station, we distributed chocolates to the commuters, asked the pilots to cut the cake and there were other celebrations too. People took photographs with the pilots and it was a superb eventful day. It was like a your own family function. After reaching home, my mom also wanted to enjoy the MG travel for one last time and we just went till Tirusulam station from Palavanthangal (just 1 station in between them) and returned back. Oops.. Nostalgic!

Though I personally do not have photos to share with you, I thought of sharing these two photos in particular from the "I love Chennai" fb page.
The first one has been shot near Egmore station and the latter near Tambaram station.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-egmore.jpg  

Railway Pics-tambaram.jpg  

Last edited by callvvijay : 14th June 2011 at 17:41.
callvvijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 17:40   #33
BHPian

Here's one from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-p1030715.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 17:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Fantastic thread!! Its such a lovely thing to travel by train.

Chennai has a history of suburban train transport which was introduced by the British. The British had such a fantastic foresight that they had introduced the suburban train way back in 1931 with the metre guage being operational till 2004/2005.

I have to highlight the last day of MG suburban service here. I was then in my college. After college hours, boarding the suburban at Tambaram station, we distributed chocolates to the commuters, asked the pilots to cut the cake and there were other celebrations too. People took photographs with the pilots and it was a superb eventful day. It was like a your own family function. After reaching home, my mom also wanted to enjoy the MG travel for one last time and we just went till Tirusulam station from Palavanthangal (just 1 station in between them) and returned back. Oops.. Nostalgic!

Though I personally do not have photos to share with you, I thought of sharing these two photos in particular from the "I love Chennai" fb page.
The first one has been shot near Egmore station and the latter near Tambaram station.
I so fully understand the emotions!I was a regular between Park & Palavanthangal/Meenambakkam for a long time.That underpass that they built from the airport to Tirusulam was such a collosal waste imho.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:53   #35
BHPian

It's always a nice experience when travelling by Trains. It's a lovely thing. Few more pics from my Goa trip
EMD Loco:
AlCO loco's Assisting as Bankers in the ghat section
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-p1030230.jpg  

Railway Pics-p1030258.jpg  

Jack Sparrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

Ranjit,

Nothing like travelling AC first class in train ! Royal treatment by railway standards.
I loved the travel. Reminded me of old times. May 15 years back travelling Delhi Madras in TN first class! It was just a fantastic feeling.

PS: Many folks get surprised when they come to know that train-spotting is a keenly followed act!
Old 14th June 2011, 18:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Although I'm not a regular train traveler, I am intrigued by these huge machines and never miss an opportunity to observe them when I have a chance.

The route from Sakleshpur to Subramanya Road is my favourite railway journey till date. Btw, I last traveled on this route in 1995 (IIRC) when the MG line was still functioning. I was on the Mysore-Mangalore passenger train which left Hassan at around 1.30 pm (IIRC) and the train reached Mangalore (now called Mangalore Central) at around 8 (IIRC).

Here are a few pictures from my side, these were taken during my trek on the famous 'Green Route' as it is called.

Just a few minutes walk from Donigal and we encounter our first train. A goods train pulled by a WDG4 numbered 12021. Don't know what shed it belonged to
Railway Pics-dsc04139.jpg

It was one looong train
Railway Pics-dsc04140.jpg

Light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Railway Pics-dsc04159.jpg

The track with a view
Railway Pics-dsc04169.jpg

A WDG3A numbered 13270 from KJM shed is seen entering Kadagaravalli Station (in the ghats) pulling tankers
Railway Pics-dsc04177.jpg

Another goods train hauled by a WDG4 numbered 12044
Railway Pics-dsc04180.jpg

The bridge with a view. This was taken in April btw
Railway Pics-dsc04188.jpg

Waiting for a train to come out of the tunnel. A WDG4 numbered 12109
Railway Pics-dsc04193.jpg

Waiting for it to pass
Railway Pics-dsc04195.jpg

Crew from a news channel (TV9 Kannada) at the guard's cabin of the train. They were shooting a video about this route and trekking
Railway Pics-dsc04200.jpg

A WDG4 numbered 12108 coming from Subramanya
Railway Pics-dsc04201.jpg

Yedakumari!!!! The name which made this route famous
Railway Pics-dsc04206.jpg

Another loco, a WDG4 numbered 12131 seen a kilometer after Yedakumari Station
Railway Pics-dsc04222.jpg

Two locos entering Yedakumari Station
Railway Pics-dsc04223.jpg

A wierd angle. A WDG4 numbered 12023 pulling another WDG4 towards Subramanya. They were entering Yedakumari
Railway Pics-dsc04224.jpg

Last edited by addyhemmige : 14th June 2011 at 18:50.
addyhemmige is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
PS: Many folks get surprised when they come to know that train-spotting is a keenly followed act!
Fully agree,how many people can read the destination and source boards on a passing train, that are fixed on the rakes,when you are waiting at a level-crossing!My score so far has been pretty good!
Old 14th June 2011, 19:16   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Hi BoneCollector!
Good to see an IRFCA'n in T-BHP. What's your handle in IRFCA forum? I'm a long time member but inactive nowadays.

Thx
Good to see people from another area which discusses a lot about the oil burners! I've been on IRFCA's forum for a little over 6 months and go by the handle drsinhasunny.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:05   #40
BHPian

team-bhp never ceases to surprise. A thread worthy of being in IRFCA and some photos that will definitely qualify for the FC section.

I am also an IRFCA'n
Old 14th June 2011, 22:53   #41
BHPian

Felt really happy to see that there are other souls following my secret passion! Train spotting!!

My 2 cents.

This photo is not to scare anyone. This was something I executed with utmost struggle and care. In a fast moving train, I am standing near the edge so that i can capture the curving train with my beaming face in the foreground. With one hand I'm holding the camera and clicking and with the other, I'm holding onto the door and balancing. Took umpteen number of attempts to get a satisfactory shot. Taken from Island express while going to B'lore from Trivandrum.

Railway Pics-img_1300.jpg

Railway Pics-img_1301.jpg

This is Ashtamudi Backwater. Between Kollam and kayamkulam.

Railway Pics-img_1264.jpg

Railway Pics-img_1273.jpg

Manimala river near Thiruvalla

Railway Pics-img_1289.jpg

In New hampshire...Good old US days !!

Railway Pics-img_0236.jpg

Taken during a trip from Hyderabad to Kanha.
Railway Pics-img_0595.jpg

Taken somewhere between Jaisalmer and Jodhpur. ( Yes. Me and my wifey did a bangalore - Rajsathan road trip..Never managed to create a travelogue, though. Writer's block as they say. My bad)

This train looks majestic isn't it?
Railway Pics-4thoct-65.jpg
8090guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 23:36   #42
Team-BHP Support

A Diesel Multiple Unit. (DMU)

Railway Pics-18082010029_modified.jpg

Railway Pics-18082010031_modified.jpg

Railway Pics-18082010032_modified.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 07:25   #43
BHPian

the 2nd best way to travel after a road journey is by train. you get to see a different world up close. some of the pics I shot during my train journeys.

Railway Pics-dsc00005.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00007.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc00055.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc08723.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc08725.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc08726.jpg
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 09:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Although I'm not a regular train traveler, I am intrigued by these huge machines and never miss an opportunity to observe them when I have a chance.

The route from Sakleshpur to Subramanya Road is my favourite railway journey till date. Btw, I last traveled on this route in 1995 (IIRC) when the MG line was still functioning. I was on the Mysore-Mangalore passenger train which left Hassan at around 1.30 pm (IIRC) and the train reached Mangalore (now called Mangalore Central) at around 8 (IIRC).

Here are a few pictures from my side, these were taken during my trek on the famous 'Green Route' as it is called.
Brilliant pics Addy, The Green Route never ceases to amaze.

By the way, heard there is a jeep road leading towards the forest that trekkers need to take, followed by crossing a river to get to the main road.

Do you have pics of the route to be taken Yedakumari to get to the road?
Old 15th June 2011, 09:38   #45
BHPian

Can someone explain the ZDM3A model few posts before (Narrow,Diesel,Multi?) @Gansan?

Also since this thread is railway related, I would be interested to know meaning of different signages one sees along the tracks. There was a T/G some posts before. One I know for sure
W/L = Whistle Long. Does this mean C/FA (as it sounds in devanagri)

Most Viewed