Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 09:42   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Railway Pics

I think 10-15 years back, the only south bound super fast trains from Delhi viz TN, AP, KK, and GT (yes it was a super fast) expresses had 22 or more rakes. Seeing these guys curve at the Nagpur outer is one most majestic sites I have ever seen.

@8090guy's post reminded of that. Now many train have more rakes. It was then only the chosen few and they used to be hauled majestically by two WDMs or a single WAG4.

The other nice location was the same set of trains curving the ghats and tunnels of Hoshangabad and directly stepping onto the huge bridge on the river Narmada.

I have only memories of these travels and no photographs. But the reminiscences will stay on for life.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A Diesel Multiple Unit. (DMU)
Hey Amp, is this the Bangalore-Bangarpet DMU? In which station were these pictures taken?

EDIT: Ok, now I remember. The Bangalore-Bangarpet line has an EMU running and not a DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
the 2nd best way to travel after a road journey is by train. you get to see a different world up close. some of the pics I shot during my train journeys.
Nice pics sandy. Where were these shots taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Brilliant pics Addy, The Green Route never ceases to amaze.

By the way, heard there is a jeep road leading towards the forest that trekkers need to take, followed by crossing a river to get to the main road.

Do you have pics of the route to be taken Yedakumari to get to the road?
I did not take this road from Yedakumari. This jeep road, starts behind the Yedakumari Station and goes downhill to reach Kempuhole river. We have to cross Kempuhole and then we will reach NH48 in the Shiradi ghats. Kempuhole cannot be crossed during monsoon.

We took a different route as our plan was to do a longer trek. We climbed uphill after a kilometer from Yedakumari (see pic dsc04222) to a village named Kaginahare and from there to Sakleshpur by bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Can someone explain the ZDM3A model few posts before (Narrow,Diesel,Multi?) @Gansan?
AFAIK, ZDM3A is a narrow gauge(Z)-diesel(D)-mixed traffic(M) (both goods and passengers) locomotive. The 3 could be 3000 HP power of the locmotive (but not sure)

Last edited by addyhemmige : 15th June 2011 at 10:00. Reason: Added comment
Old 15th June 2011, 09:57   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hey Amp, is this the Bangalore-Bangarpet DMU? In which station were these pictures taken?
Addy its at Yelahanka.
I think it was the Hindupur-Dharmapuri shuttle.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 10:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone explain the ZDM3A model few posts before (Narrow,Diesel,Multi?) @Gansan?

Also since this thread is railway related, I would be interested to know meaning of different signages one sees along the tracks. There was a T/G some posts before. One I know for sure
W/L = Whistle Long. Does this mean C/FA (as it sounds in devanagri)
Narrow Gauge (Z), Diesel, Mixed application (Passenger as well as goods), 3100 HP. Metre gauge locos will start with Y and broad guage with W (wide gauge), rest is all common.

Last edited by Gansan : 15th June 2011 at 10:02.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 10:08   #50
Team-BHP Support

W/L is I think stands for Whistle and Light. Please correct that is not right.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

T/G generally means Termination of speed limit for Goods trains,similary a T/P means termination of speed limit for passenger trains and T/PG by default means for both passenger and goods.

Also W/L does not stand for whistle long but instead it stands for whistle for level crossing ahead.W/B is for whistle for bridge ahead.

Adding to Ampere's list of majestic bridges and curves,is when the Coromandel Express enters the bridge over the Godavari just before Rajahmundry station on its way to Kolkota!It used to be a scary 10minutes with the bogies swerving around in the wind and sound of the metal.Pure Hard metal for the ears!

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 15th June 2011 at 10:58.
ranjitp1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 10:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Also W/L does not stand for whistle long but instead it stands for whistle for level crossing ahead.W/B is for whistle for bridge ahead.
Makes Sense. so the C/FA (W/L) is probably 'Ceeti/Fatak' in the vernacular. Thanks.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:01   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Adding to Ampere's list of majestic bridges and curves,is when the Coromandel Express enters the bridge over the Godavari just before Rajahmundry station on its way to Kolkota!It used to be a scary 10minutes with the bogies swerving around in the wind and sound of the metal.Pure Hard metal for the ears!

Coromandel is another of those super-fast old timers. I once did Vijaywada-Howrah-Vijaywada AC First class in Coromandel. It was an amazing experience. (But yes could not spot those bridges.)
Old 15th June 2011, 11:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes Sense. so the C/FA (W/L) is probably 'Ceeti/Fatak' in the vernacular. Thanks.
Absolutely right about that.
Attached Images

Old 15th June 2011, 11:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Nice pics sandy. Where were these shots taken?
Thanks Addy. These pics were randomly taken at different locations along the Konkan route on my way to Kerala.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics. Although I am not a member of the IRFCA, I am an avid admirer of locos and more so, of the excellent railroad network that our country boasts of.

For those of you who are not aware, one of the best locations for train-spotting around Bangalore is a small station called Makalidurga (GPS coordinates - 13.425813,77.505455), about 15 kms or so from Doddaballpur on the Gauribidanur road. I have spent hours there, waiting for trains to show up on the beautiful canvas created by hills, trees, and Gunjur lake in the background. Will upload some pics of the same later.

For now, I am attaching a pic taken during my Maharastra ride in 2007. This is the famous 'Vashishti view' near Chiplun (NH 17).
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-picture-174.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 12:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think 10-15 years back, the only south bound super fast trains from Delhi viz TN, AP, KK, and GT (yes it was a super fast) expresses had 22 or more rakes. Seeing these guys curve at the Nagpur outer is one most majestic sites I have ever seen.
Was it not the Wardha / Sevagram curve which was simply amazing. If you are in one of the A/c coaches which typically used to be either in the end or the beginning of the rake you could see the entire train in a semi circle fashion.

Here is a video of TN Express trundling along on the curve I managed to google.

and one of the AP Express with WAP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Narrow Gauge (Z), Diesel, Mixed application (Passenger as well as goods), 3100 HP. Metre gauge locos will start with Y and broad guage with W (wide gauge), rest is all common.
While the alphabets are right with regard to the classification, in the case of Metre Gauge and Narrow Gauge the numbers do not signify the Horse Power rating of the locos. More information here

[IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Locomotives -- Specific classes : Meter Gauge & Narrow Gauge Diesel

For those who were wanting to know more on signals & what they signify here is an interesting read.

[IRFCA] Indian Railways FAQ: Signs, Hand Signals & Whistle codes
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 13:51   #58
BHPian

Excellent photos and write up. Thanx for sharing
Since my childhood, railway journeys have fascinated me.
As a child, during train journeys in the night, I used to keep awake through out just staring out of windows. I love everything associated with trains

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 15th June 2011 at 13:55. Reason: Typos
Old 15th June 2011, 15:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

Srikanth,

Now that you mention Warda also has a big curve.
Somehow I specifically remember the Nagpur outer only. Fading memory....!
Old 15th June 2011, 15:32   #60
BHPian

Guys,

Clear my doubt - In certain trains, there are 2 engines upfront and in certain others there is one engine at front and one at the back. Why is it so? Does each of them serve any particular prupose like, one for generating power for the entire train and the other for pulling the train?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks