Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 12:47   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Isn't there supposed to be a hill on the top right corner of the picture? I am guessing that is Makali station soon after the bridge, on the top of the picture.
Yes there is small hillock adjacent to the main hill. That was not captured as a part of the snap. Its right between these two hill, where one can trek to the other side as well. In fact one needs to get to the back a bit before beginning the ascent to the main hill as well. The base is where the temple is.

Quote:
Also the old Meter Guage alignment can be seen next to the railway line.
Did not realise that this earlier was a meter gauge line! Thanks for mentioning that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Few pics from my recent trip to coonoor & Ooty.
No emotion comes close to seeing a steaming engine!

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2013 at 12:49.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 15:02   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No emotion comes close to seeing a steaming engine!
Exactly my thoughts! I stumbled across this wonderful thread only today, though I did see another one a year back on Indian Railways.

Like many who made the initial posts, I too traveled a lot in the late 60s in steam-engined trains. One such train was the Howrah Madras Janata Express. And then there was the fully air-conditioned HWH MAS Express. The sheer excitement of waiting on the platform for the train with the bullet-shaped engine (with a star at the center) held me in awe. The engine had that 'don't mess with me' kind of look, and a horn that was different from the shrill 'kooo' one sees in old movies today. It was a deeper and louder tone, that scared the shit out of anyone that strayed into its path.

But it had its downsides too: after the journey, we definitely needed a bath to wash off all the coal debris we'd accumulated. So when diesel engines replaced them, we felt that it was a huge leap in technology, as the engine sounded different and it also had a more musical horn. But now I throng for the good ol' steam engines. Alas, we don't see any of those today, and I pity my kids for not having had any of that awesome experience.

One of the most thrilling experiences was crossing the Godavari bridge at Rajahmundry on the century-old, British-built bridge. The train would slow down to 15 kmph and take an eternity to cross it. Moving faster would imperil the train as it would sway too much and the bridge could not take the load.We used to wait with bated breath till we reached the other side.

I liked trains so much that I had aspired to become a loco driver after finishing my studies. Many of my anglo-Indian classmates had their dads working as loco drivers, and I used to envy them.

One trick I learnt from them was calculating the speed of the train. Every 16 electric poles represented a kilometer, so that is how we used to boast about knowing how fast we were going.

Let me see if I have any pictures.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 21:49   #258
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures of Ooty and Coonoor:

Train arrives in Ooty on time:

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-066.jpg

First Class at the end:

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-067.jpg

Pics of Coonoor station before and after the train arrives:

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-071.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-079.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-080.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-084.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-086.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-094.jpg

The 3rd rail that starts a little away from Coonoor towards Mettupalayam. I believe it is used for braking.

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-179.jpg

Railway Pics-venu-ooty-june-19th-178.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:33   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The 3rd rail that starts a little away from Coonoor towards Mettupalayam. I believe it is used for braking.
Nice pics!

That's a rack railway [a.k.a cog railway] for climbing steep gradients on this route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_railway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgiri_Mountain_Railway

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd May 2013 at 09:37.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 11:58   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Nice pics!

That's a rack railway [a.k.a cog railway] for climbing steep gradients on this route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_railway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgiri_Mountain_Railway

Cheers,
Vikram
Correct. Also the rack and pinion mechanism is only used by the steam locos on this section. The have a gear cog below the engine, which fits on to this rail and provides sufficient torque for the engine to climb the steep ghats on this section.
The meter guage diesel engines dont need this extra cog to climb the ghats, they have more than sufficient torque to push up the light load up the slope.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 09:03   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Rewari Steam Engine Shed:
If you’re interested in steam engines, this is the place to go visit. It’s only about 75 kilometers south of Delhi. I never saw it mentioned in any brochure or tour guide. But it is a real gem. When I arrived I was immediately ushered into the Loco Foreman office (see the four phones below). Tea was brought and I was treated as a true guest and subsequently shown around.

The sheds themselves are very well kept. There are not that many steam engines. But they are pretty impressive and come with an extensive pedigree. Much smaller then the Railroad museum in Delhi, I found it much more interesting. Everything is in much better shape. There is plenty evidence of meticulous and continuous restoration going on. And the staff is immensely proud on their loco’s and their shed.

The pictures of the engines under steam, are pictures of pictures. No such luck I was there. Still, they do have one of these engines all ready to go and I understand it gets fired up on a regular basis.

Enjoy

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-p5040053.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040051.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040050.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040049.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040047.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040045.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040043.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040038.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040037.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040031.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040029.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040027.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040026.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040025.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040024.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040023.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040022.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040021.jpg  

Railway Pics-p5040020.jpg  

Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 21:59   #262
BHPian

Jeroen
Thanks for the pictures.
Here is one of the links to the WP loco "Akbar"

Nothing can do justice to the heavenly smell of the peat, the awesome sound of the loco starting to pull from a full stop, the straining on a ghat, the soot covering you from head to toe, every whistle different and your imagination running riot......
Regards
PS:The Rewari Queen is a metre gauge loco.Years back Ahmedabad Jaipur Delhi was a metre gauge and Rewari was between Jaipur and Delhi
faustus77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 22:22   #263
BHPian

Members intrested in viewing superb pictures of IR Locomotives should visit irfca.org, it is a forum for railfans as Team BHP is to petrolheads. They offer a plethora of information into the working of IR.
DrPriyankT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 10:23   #264
Senior - BHPian

Had long forgotten about this thread, saw it today after quite some time. That reminded me that I hadn't posted pics from Braganza from last year (have mentioned about them 3-4 pages earlier). So here we go:

Tunnel between Dudhsagar railway station & the waterfall
Railway Pics-7983039972_1c2c920250_b.jpg

Rain at Castle Rock
Railway Pics-7959799292_579eb63577_b.jpg

WDG-4 crossing the waterfalls. This image shows the two things that symbolise braganza - Dudhsagar falls & WDG-4 - in a single frame
Railway Pics-7974809575_dcb24c4312_b.jpg

The Dudhsagar falls:
Railway Pics-7985775383_d325a59be0_b.jpg

Fully loaded uphill freight rake waiting at Dudhsagar station for crossing with Chennai - Vasco express.
Railway Pics-7962303738_f1f902529f_b.jpg

It was quite a memorable experience to watch the 5 WDG-4s starting the train from a standstill on the up gradient with all their might. Here is a cellphone video of the same:

Here is a short sound clip of the WDG-4s notched up. Pictures from this trip and 2008 trip to the Braganza.

Last edited by AkMar : 19th May 2013 at 10:28.
AkMar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:11   #265
BHPian

Nice pictures and videos AkMar. You are sincerely lucky to enjoy the Doodhsagar falls in the monsoon when the flow is at its greatest. The sight of the bridge over the falls with a fully loaded iron ore rake hauled by WDG-4 twins is spectacular!!
I know I am committing blasphemy by saying this on petrol head forum but the exhaust note of an IR Alco honking and chugging while accelerating whilst relesing those mounds of black smoke give you visual and aural pleasure which even supercars cannot give. They are simply a sight to behold.
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:58   #266
Team-BHP Support

There is a small rail museum in Mysore. Its on KRS road. Nothing great, but for a weekend if you are in Mysore, its a nice place to visit.
Old 22nd May 2013, 23:32   #267
Senior - BHPian

^^Damn! I was there on vacation a year ago and did not know about this!
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In May 2012, I was in Mysore for 3 days. Visited the railway museum. As ampere mentioned, it is a nice place to visit. Check out the pictures that I had posted here.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:24   #269
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff. Hope someone brings back the steam engines. All the romance with the railways really went away with them. They don't pollute, so don't know why they can't be brought back
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:09   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There is one in Chennai as well in ICF. Has a few old engines. It also has a model EMU network which shows how signals control the movement of trains. Worth a visit.

Most Viewed