Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 00:30   #271
BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Awesome stuff. Hope someone brings back the steam engines. All the romance with the railways really went away with them. They don't pollute, so don't know why they can't be brought back
Hi
Those days cannot come back. Very sad.
Have travelled thousands of kilometres, right when I was a child in the early 1950s to the 1970s when steam traction was phased out.
Please read my post no 262 on this thread. You would understand the romance of the bygone era.
Regards
PS: I love train travel so much that I joined the Great Circular Indian Railway Challenge (GCIRC). Though I did a part of the journey the rest of them went around the four extreme points of India doing 13000 kms in 18 days
Old 24th May 2013, 01:13   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Howrah - Bandel local train.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img_0367.jpg  

Old 24th May 2013, 10:16   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi
Those days cannot come back. Very sad.
Have travelled thousands of kilometres, right when I was a child in the early 1950s to the 1970s when steam traction was phased out.
Please read my post no 262 on this thread. You would understand the romance of the bygone era.
Regards
I was lucky (one of the last generations) to witness both steam and diesel locos hauling mainstream passenger trains. I saw the great Punjab and Frontier mails being hauled a steam loco before they shifted to diesel (I think Frontier was just being shifted to diesel and Punjab mail took some time) and finally to electric traction . The steam loco was majestic!

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2013 at 10:21.
Old 24th May 2013, 21:10   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was lucky (one of the last generations) to witness both steam and diesel locos hauling mainstream passenger trains. I saw the great Punjab and Frontier mails being hauled a steam loco before they shifted to diesel (I think Frontier was just being shifted to diesel and Punjab mail took some time) and finally to electric traction . The steam loco was majestic!
Hi.
Punjab Mail was dieselised around 1968 after Igatpuri, Bombay Igatpuri being electrified.
AFAIR Frontier mail was dieselised around 1972.
A point about the romance of the steam age. The hundreds of songs that you see with music to the rhythm of the loco. You don't see that to the beat of electric/diesel.
Incidentally on a different site there were a umpteen links to songs with a train background.
Regards
Old 24th May 2013, 21:15   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi.
Punjab Mail was dieselised around 1968 after Igatpuri, Bombay Igatpuri being electrified.
AFAIR Frontier mail was dieselised around 1972.
Then I may be wrong. Because I remember seeing an important train in steam engine and that too in western railway. But since it was early 80s, that may not be possible. That sector had almost all trains into diesel.

The local lines were steam though. The most cherished is the passenger train from Kota to Bina.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 06:27   #276
Senior - BHPian

The SALEM-KARUR railway line has now been thrown open for traffic as of today. Wonder what that bodes for rail travel in South India

Looks like a lot of routes are going to get realigned, its going to cut travel times and hit the bus industry between Salem and Karur
Old 25th May 2013, 06:33   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The SALEM-KARUR railway line has now been thrown open for traffic as of today. Wonder what that bodes for rail travel in South India

Looks like a lot of routes are going to get realigned, its going to cut travel times and hit the bus industry between Salem and Karur
I doubt if it would hit the bus traffic too much. If my memory serves correct a couple of passenger trains and the Chennai - Palani express is what is expected to ply on this track. Remember the Vridachalam - Salem section was opened a couple of years back and nothing much has changed.

The high bus fares could slowly tilt the balance towards railways but I doubt the bus industry is going to be badly hit.
Old 25th May 2013, 08:28   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The high bus fares could slowly tilt the balance towards railways but I doubt the bus industry is going to be badly hit.
Have been following this development right from its inception days. Good to hear that its finally open!

But as you said it wont effect much. Because the train fares would have been lower to begin with. And people would not bother whether the train goes via Erode or directly to Karur.

But nevertheless happy to hear that the traffic is open.
Old 26th May 2013, 12:12   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Rewari Steam Engine Shed:
If you’re interested in steam engines, this is the place to go visit. It’s only about 75 kilometers south of Delhi.
Hello,

Good to hear positive opinions about the shed. I will be visiting it in a fortnight (on a Saturday). Any tips? Like things to look out for/things that should not be missed? Is it necessary to inform staff at the shed about the visit in advance?
Old 26th May 2013, 12:29   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Hello,

Good to hear positive opinions about the shed. I will be visiting it in a fortnight (on a Saturday). Any tips? Like things to look out for/things that should not be missed? Is it necessary to inform staff at the shed about the visit in advance?

You'll enjoy it! It is fairly small, so if anything it's difficult to miss anything. there is a small museum on site as well. I did not take any pictures, but it has some interesting photographs, models and other bits and pieces.

I don't think you need to give them advance notice.

Take care,

Jeroen
Old 1st June 2013, 09:03   #281
Senior - BHPian

Today 1st June is the 83rd Birthday of Deccan Queen and 102nd Birthday of Punjab Mail. So there was cake cutting ceremony at Pune Station. 83 Kg Giant Cake was prepared for the occasion. The celebrations were planned by Railway Pravasi Group Pune.

Railway Pics-img2013060100002.jpg

Railway Pics-img2013060100003.jpg

Railway Pics-img2013060100007.jpg

Railway Pics-img2013060100010.jpg
amitwlele is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 22:14   #282
Senior - BHPian

There would be no other train whose birthday is celebrated like DQ's birthday! Attaching a few pics. Here is a video taken from the train on its birthday:

Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img_8729.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_8749.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_8756.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_8778.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2013 at 20:59. Reason: No need to use YouTube tags. Just copy-paste the link and the software will do the rest ;)
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 10:32   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
There would be no other train whose birthday is celebrated like DQ's birthday! Attaching a few pics. Here is a video taken from the train on its birthday:
Lovely! She indeed looks like a queen with all that flamboyant getup!

Does the DQ get WCAM2 or WCAM3? Have lost touch from irfca for more than a year :(

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2013 at 20:57. Reason: Fixing some formatting issue
Old 5th June 2013, 15:16   #284
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this small rail car while waiting in Thripunithra station.

Railway Pics-img00583201305281503.jpg
Old 5th June 2013, 21:59   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks like an OHE inspection car. The only railbus or railcar I know currently is doing runs between Kolar and Bangarpet in the SR or SWR.

Most Viewed