Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 19:58   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have one query - does anyone know what is the "kitna deti hai?" figure for these diesel engines?
Go back to page 1 of this thread, I have posted some figures that a loco pilot told me!
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:03   #302
Team-BHP Support

If you have not watched this.
Amazing engineering on gradients and a train ascending up the Byappanahalli gradient near KR Puram Bangalore.

ampere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:19   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Amazing engineering on gradients and a train ascending up the Byappanahalli gradient near KR Puram Bangalore.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=7dNdvGNenP8
That's quite impressive/amazing. I don't really know what sort of gradients moderns train are capable of tackling? In the early days it was pretty bad. That's why you have these endless viaducts and tunnels in the UK. Had to be pretty much level all across the country as early engines could not cope with any gradient!

E.g. The Brunel billiard table: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Virtual...great-western/

Does this engine have anything special to get up that gradient or is it just the normal traction of its wheels on the track that get it up there?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:19   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=7dNdvGNenP8

I wonder how the loco managed pull the rakes without smoking. Smoking starts once the loco clears the gradient. Maybe the enormous torque of the WDG coupled with lesser number of rakes did the trick

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 2nd October 2013 at 21:21.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:26   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I don't really know what sort of gradients moderns train are capable of tackling? In the early days it was pretty bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I wonder how the loco managed pull the rakes without smoking. Smoking starts once the loco clears the gradient. Maybe the enormous torque of the WDG coupled with lesser number of rakes did the trick
No ideas ! As regards to gradients, I dont know the numbers. But at least I have never seen a gradient which is so visible. Hence was intrigued. I am aware that Byapppanhalli line near KR Puram has a steep gradient. But had no idea it would be so evident ! I think a single loco can pull it up. They add more only while it goes down from a braking point of view.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2013 at 21:30.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:55   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Does this engine have anything special to get up that gradient or is it just the normal traction of its wheels on the track that get it up there?

Jeroen
It is a stock engine without any special parts for the climb. This one is a freight class engine, so the gearing helps it more. It is rated at 3100hp.

Quote:

Quote:
No ideas ! As regards to gradients, I dont know the numbers. But at least I have never seen a gradient which is so visible. Hence was intrigued. I am aware that Byapppanhalli line near KR Puram has a steep gradient. But had no idea it would be so evident ! I think a single loco can pull it up. They add more only while it goes down from a braking point of view.
The angle and zoom in the shot has actually made the gradient look steep. Not that is not, it is the steepest around Bangalore.,but has one of the sharpest curve as well.
From the start point of the white wall to the point the loco starts its curve is around 250-300 meters and then the gradient reduces .
A light loco or just the engine can climb this just above its idle rpm. There are no additional loco's attached while coming down or going up since it is a very short stretch of climb.
At times when a freight goes on this line, a banker is attached behind the rake since rest of the line to Salem has many ups and downs.

The reason the loco starts smoking towards the middle of the climb is because it has to clear the points or the switch on the tracks and then gather speed. The initial climb is done on just low rpm torque.

When this line was built, we used to go to catch the Island express early morning to see how it managed down this curve. It was a beautiful sight.

This is picture I took around ten years back of an express coming down the same ramp.

The second image shows the height of line the train has to climb from the bottom line .
The curve was built soon after the Salem line was converted to broad Gauge so trains could reach Salem faster instead of going to Jolarpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-pc130090.jpg  

Railway Pics-2004_0525image0001.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 22nd October 2013 at 18:16.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:19   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

The angle and zoom in the shot has actually made the gradient look steep. Not that is not, it is the steepest around Bangalore.,but has one of the sharpest curve as well.
From the start point of the white wall to the point the loco starts its curve is around 250-300 meters and then the gradient reduces .
A light loco or just the engine can climb this just above its idle rpm. There are no additional loco's attached while coming down or going up since it is a very short stretch of climb.
At times when a freight goes on this line, a banker is attached behind the rake since rest of the line to Salem has many ups and downs.

The reason the loco starts smoking towards the middle of the climb is because it has to clear the points or the switch on the tracks and then gather speed. The initial climb is done on just low rpm torque.

When this line was built, we used to go to catch the Island express early morning to see how it managed down this curve. It was a beautiful sight.

This is picture I took around ten years back of an express coming down the same ramp.

The second image shows the height of line the train has to climb from the bottom line .
The curve was built soon after the Salem line was converted to broad Gauge so trains could reach Salem faster instead of going to Jolarpet.
So does a WDM 3a require a banker with a 22 rake load?

Any idea what is the gradient measurement? Looks like 1:200
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:53   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No, the rake with WDM3A generally does not have a banker. The popular daily express trains, The Mysore - Tuticorin Express(WDM 3A/3D from Erode, Kurla - Coimbatore (WDP4 from KJM/WDM3D from Erode), Mysore- Mayiladuthurai Express WDM3A/3D from Erode does not get a banker though the same train proceeds towards Salem. This stretch has quite a few gradients. I have not spotted frieghts ones very often, most of the frieghts one get a twin WDG3A/WDG4
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:38   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

None of the passengers/express has a banker attached .

It is a 1:100 gradient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
No, the rake with WDM3A generally does not have a banker. The popular daily express trains, The Mysore - Tuticorin Express(WDM 3A/3D from Erode, Kurla - Coimbatore (WDP4 from KJM/WDM3D from Erode), Mysore- Mayiladuthurai Express WDM3A/3D from Erode does not get a banker though the same train proceeds towards Salem. This stretch has quite a few gradients. I have not spotted frieghts ones very often, most of the frieghts one get a twin WDG3A/WDG4
All these trains except Myladathurai have dual WDM3a's from Erode now. Should be fun to travel on one of these on this line with twin loco's hauling it.

Attached a picture of the gradient without a train on it.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img786.jpg  

tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 20:14   #310
BHPian

To really have a look at whn and where bankers are required, please have a look at the pictures from Bhor ghat (Bombay - Pune route) or Thull ghat (Bombay - Nashik route). All trains going up the ghats have atleast 2 banker locos attached at the rear of the train. Near to Bangalore the Dudhsagar falls track would be a wonderful place to spot bankers. As many as 5 WDG class locomotives are used on this line as bankers.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 19:46   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
All these trains except Myladathurai have dual WDM3a's from Erode now. Should be fun to travel on one of these on this line with twin loco's hauling it.
I have travelled on the Mysore-Mayavaram express. But never remembered the gradient. Because while going it was too late and it was dark. And I was not in time to catch the gradient. On the way back I did spot it, but its the climbing which is more fun to watch!
Old 27th October 2013, 18:43   #312
Senior - BHPian

Uploading the pictures of the toy train in Madikeri (Near Raja's seat) captured by my friends on a recent tripRailway Pics-img_2882.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2883.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2884.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2885.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2887.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2888.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2889.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2890.jpg.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 21:21   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Uploading the pictures of the toy train in Madikeri (Near Raja's seat) captured by my friends on a recent tripAttachment 1158526

Attachment 1158527

Attachment 1158528

Attachment 1158529

Attachment 1158530

Attachment 1158531

Attachment 1158532

Attachment 1158533.
I wonder what sort of powertrain it runs on. Possibly an agricultural diesel. Anyway, how long is the route for this train?
Old 27th October 2013, 22:25   #314
Senior - BHPian

Few pics from my recent doodhsagar trip:

Railway crossing near CastleRock station (this might be cheating but still is an awesome place )

Railway Pics-img_1892.jpg

Castle Rock railway station :

Railway Pics-img_1896.jpg

Board says it all:

Railway Pics-img_1913.jpg

Noticed the goods train that brought is to Dudhsagar had 5 WDG4s all in the front? (Not sure if you can count all 5 in this pic)

Railway Pics-img_1970.jpg
SunnyBoi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 18:20   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I wonder what sort of powertrain it runs on. Possibly an agricultural diesel. Anyway, how long is the route for this train?
It is a much more refined than an agriculture diesel. Since the train runs very slow, the clatter is drowned in the shriek of the children in it. The whole length of the trrack may be a km long and takes about 5 mins to cover.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks