Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 20:31   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Railway Pics

Nice to see WAG9 in action. Did not realize that they had already been released. Has it already been inducted to service? I still thought the latest was the WAP7 series. What does WAG/WAP9 series provide over WAP7 ? Is it just more power ? Any new traction mechanism?

Last edited by ampere : 25th December 2013 at 20:33.
Old 25th December 2013, 20:32   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For the given scenario, the traction technology is quite advanced. Of course we cannot expect what is present in other countries or other networks like the French TGV or the bullet train.
I was not comparing the traction technology with those used in developed countries at all. But we are a lot behind from where we could have been, both in terms for locos and also the rakes.
Quote:
Yes the requirements of the railways do change. The use of broad guage is itself not popular in other countries compared to standard guage. However its better to make a product adapt to our conditions compared to revamping our infrastructure for the product.
I was not talking about the gauge or the way the locos are used or the conditions in which they operate. There are lots of parameters which has to be customized, which is fine. But there are also a number of things which could be standardized like the driver display. The problem is that in India there are no inputs taken from the end user, ie; the loco pilots. Somebody from the railway board will approve a design which seems fit for him/her and once the system is in place, somebody else will come and tell to change it. There is no proper management of requirements is what I told. How do I know this? Well, I suffered because of this in my previous project.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 21:06   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay I get your point. Yes I do agree with it too. In terms of standardisation we are behind. But that will take a long time to happen. Think with the introduction of the three phase locos, things are getting better at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice to see WAG9 in action. Did not realize that they had already been released. Has it already been inducted to service? I still thought the latest was the WAP7 series. What does WAG/WAP9 series provide over WAP7 ? Is it just more power ? Any new traction mechanism?
WAG9 is doing duties from quite a long time. However there is no WAP9. WAG9 is similar to WAP7 but there are some changes made to it to suit freight operations, from what I know is shorter gearing, addition of ballast to improve starting ability or adhesion, and IIRC G9s can be lashed up or MU'ed while the Wap7s are not. Power is also the same, but not sure perhaps a small difference will be there.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 21:18   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adding to what Audioholic mentioned, the WAP7 is an inbuilt class by CLW using the G9 platform and powerpack. The two classes that were imported from ABB were WAP5 and G9 and the WAP7 was built for 20+ coach rakes for quicker acceleration and speed.
It used different gearing with the same power pack as the G9.
The WDM3d according to me is one of the best class of loco's that were built by the DLW. It has the best of the old ALCO loco's and the newer EMD loco's and does it sound awesome in full song.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 21:50   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Okay I get your point. Yes I do agree with it too. In terms of standardisation we are behind. But that will take a long time to happen. Think with the introduction of the three phase locos, things are getting better at least.
Yes, things are getting better and I know a lot of people who are genuinely interested in improving things, but unfortunately, our system doesn't allow those individuals' voice to come to the top :(

For all the rail fans, a picture from my earlier workplace (Just now noticed that it's my 500th post in TBhp)
Railway Pics-workplace_loco.jpg
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 10:24   #351
Senior - BHPian

The first ever train on IR with dynamic ticket pricing! Runs between Mumbai & Delhi. It arrived bang on time in Mumbai on its first run.

Salient features of the train in short:

-Premium special train is introduced from Railway on the busy New Delhi Mumbai sector with dynamic fare pricing.
-Dynamic fare stands for the fare component which may be increased with the subsequent bookings.
-No waitilist
-Only online bookings allowed
-No refunds. Refunds only if train is cancelled.
-No concessions in tickets.
-No Tatkal/Ladies/other quotas.
-Only end to end bookings. No commercial stoppages.

Complete details of the train available here.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 14:32   #352
Team-BHP Support

Can any one suggest a good book on Railway Signaling and Traction. (Evolution to state of the art). I cannot find any.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:07   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WAG9 has been in duty for a while now. WAG9 has the same configuration in terms of bhp about 6000 odd as compared to WAP7, however it is a re-geared version of the WAP7, to be used to pull a container train at 100kmph. Also WAG9 can be multiple united, unlike the WAP7 loco
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:37   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Can any one suggest a good book on Railway Signaling and Traction. (Evolution to state of the art). I cannot find any.
Check whether this book is what you are looking for. It is on signalling only not on traction.

http://www.amazon.com/Railroad-Signa...der_0760338817

This one is on traction but very costly and limited used stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Railway-Tracti.../dp/044442489X
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:25   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Thanks very much! The traction book indeed is very costly. I remember in engineering days with traction and control while studying machines. It was Clayton/Hancock, Kingsley and MG Say. Kingsley esp was amazing. But then it was yet another machine type to be understood (Though we did put enough effort). But now when we put two and two together (knowledge and passion), the heady concoction is tastes totally different! May be I will start with Kingsley again.

And thanks for signalling book too. And its good that it has a kindle edition!
Purchased right away!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 10:49   #356
Senior - BHPian

The typical "transition" effect observed in ALCO locomotives of IR. I am very very lucky that I could capture it from such close quarters. Talk about being at the right place at the right time!

For more on what is the transition, pleae refer to these links:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussio....php?2,1399395
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_...iesel-electric (Propulsion system operation section)
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 23:13   #357
BHPian

Akmar
Hi
Once before on this thread I have posted that next to the sound of a steam engine is the one from WDM 3.
It was great to hear it after months.Loved it. Thanks
Regards
Old 13th January 2014, 00:31   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post

The typical "transition" effect observed in ALCO locomotives of IR. I am very very lucky that I could capture it from such close quarters. Talk about being at the right place at the right time!
Pardon my ignorance. From what I read somewhere, the transistion can be recognised when we feel a temporary loss of accelaration and we feel that the coach lost power. How can you make it out from the video? In IRFCA, I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRFCA
For the transition at 39km/h (it can actually happen anywhere between 30km/h and 45km/h), the generator's fuel supply is cut and it is momentarily switched off to avoid sparking and strain on the switchgear.
Does this mean that the diesel engine was shut down? In the video it just seems as if the engine RPM is dropping and then rising again. Can someone elaborate?
Old 13th January 2014, 10:15   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I read somewhere, the transistion can be recognised when we feel a temporary loss of accelaration and we feel that the coach lost power. How can you make it out from the video?

In the video it just seems as if the engine RPM is dropping and then rising again. Can someone elaborate?
You answered the question yourself The drop in engine RPM is the way to recognize transition from outside the train. That is the moment when transition takes place.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 11:09   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
You answered the question yourself The drop in engine RPM is the way to recognize transition from outside the train. That is the moment when transition takes place.
Sorry for ignorance. I was unaware of the term transition in context of the a locomotive. I followed up your links to find its mainly changing a traction system to overcome the temporary dip in speed-torque characteristics. So is it mainly change over from series traction (which is used at the start; for the high starting torque) ?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks