Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 23:41   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for ignorance. I was unaware of the term transition in context of the a locomotive. I followed up your links to find its mainly changing a traction system to overcome the temporary dip in speed-torque characteristics. So is it mainly change over from series traction (which is used at the start; for the high starting torque) ?

In simple terms, changing the way the motors of each axle are connected to the generator. AFAIK there are four configurations. Even single phase electric locos have this arrangement.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:45   #362
Senior - BHPian

The transition is a term for that temporary blip/power loss in the prime mover of the locomotive. In older diesel electrics the driver had to recognize this blip either by sound or by engine rpm and had to quickly notch higher to prevent engine stall, in modern locomotives the ECB or ECU recognizes this incipient stall and adds more power/commands higher idling to prevent the stall.

Consider this similar to allowing an ECU driven car to coast along any gear without touching the accelerator, the ECU compensates for the lag by increasing rpm and preventing the engine from dying down.

India we need to utilize broad gauge to ensure bigger and heavier trains can run on them safely, also broad gauge is useful in hilly terrain to ensure smoother curves compared to standard or narrow gauge.
Old 19th January 2014, 18:33   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
In older diesel electrics the driver had to recognize this blip either by sound or by engine rpm and had to quickly notch higher to prevent engine stall
I do not think so. This process is automatic AFAIK and does not require intervention from driver even in old locomotives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Even single phase electric locos have this arrangement.
Yes. But in the electrics it is done seamlessly on the fly without any momentary loss of power.
Old 19th January 2014, 19:40   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I do not think so. This process is automatic AFAIK and does not require intervention from driver even in old locomotives.

Yes. But in the electrics it is done seamlessly on the fly without any momentary loss of power.
I dont understand the meaning of blip in power and as you say its automatic. Fuel is cut off momentarily so that there wont be an arc or burnouts in the relay contacts.

Yes in electrics AFAIK its connected to notching. A set of notches will have a corresponding configuration and as the notches advance the config also changes.
Old 1st February 2014, 22:17   #365
BHPian

Yesterday I saw this LHB non AC coaches at Karunagapally railway station, Kerala. Seems they are rakes for a new train or replacement rack for any older type rakes. Anyone have got any updated info?

Name:  ForumRunner_20140201_221606.png
Views: 3043
Size:  844.4 KB
ontheroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 23:21   #366
Senior - BHPian

Travelled on the Nilgiri Mountain railway last week. I myself haven't gone through all the photos in detail yet. Here are two quick pics:

Loco moving in to attach to rake
Railway Pics-dscn8686.jpg

Somewhere in the mountains:
Railway Pics-dscn8724.jpg

Couple of videos too. Will post more as and when I get time to select and edit photos and upload videos.

AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 23:35   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in the mountains
Great pics AkMar, how did you manage to capture the pic without shake from a moving train and from the pics I guess also with arms stretched out.
Planning a trip to Ooty and Coonor in two weeks. Is it possible to capture steam engine in action as in your first pic at Coonor station during time engine is in station between morning and evening schedule.
Old 9th February 2014, 16:57   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is it possible to capture steam engine in action as in your first pic at Coonor station during time engine is in station between morning and evening schedule.
Yes you can! Hope you are already aware steam action is possible only between Coonoor and Metupalayam. There are many who come to station just to click photos.
Old 9th February 2014, 19:33   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hope you are already aware steam action is possible only between Coonoor and Metupalayam.
Thanks. Yes, however I was not sure if it will be possible to capture pics of loco in day time while loco will be in station / yard.
Old 9th February 2014, 22:16   #370
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of snaps from my side - the steam engine that is on display at the Kozhikode Railway station as part of its 125th anniversary celebrations.

Railway Pics-wp_000638.jpg

Railway Pics-wp_000639.jpg
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 00:47   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Great pics AkMar, how did you manage to capture the pic without shake from a moving train and from the pics I guess also with arms stretched out.
Planning a trip to Ooty and Coonor in two weeks. Is it possible to capture steam engine in action as in your first pic at Coonor station during time engine is in station between morning and evening schedule.
That is quite normal. Since the speeds are slow, there was very little camera shake. That helped in getting a better success rate with the pics

I am not sure about steam activity at Mettupalayam between morning departure and evening arrival. At the most you may get to see some shunting of spare coaches etc. If DWind is sure, then you may take his word for it.

Now a video taken from outside the train when we roamed around by road clicking the train at various locations. This one is shot just after Wellington station towards Ooty side.

Our loco in the loco shed at Mettupalayam in the morning before departure:
Railway Pics-dscn8660.jpg

Quite rare to see Mile markings on IR. At least I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Railway Pics-dscn8703.jpg

Sun shining on the train on a viaduct.
Railway Pics-dscn8748.jpg
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 16:33   #372
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about steam activity at Mettupalayam between morning departure and evening arrival. At the most you may get to see some shunting of spare coaches etc. If DWind is sure, then you may take his word for it.
Let me clarify once again.

I believe suhas wanted to check if he can take photographs of Steam loco in action during morning and evening schedule at Coonoor station only. Since he might be in Ooty he can travel down to Coonoor only to click the Steam locos in action as Ooty does not see them.

In between the morning and evening schedules the locos might not be steamed (not continuously) as the now modified oil-fired boilers have ability to retain steam pressure better than the earlier coal fired ones. They might be steamed at the max for an hour before the afternoon schedule at Coonoor departing to Mettupalayam.

Last edited by DWind : 12th February 2014 at 16:40.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 20:14   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice to see WAG9 in action. Did not realize that they had already been released. Has it already been inducted to service? I still thought the latest was the WAP7 series. What does WAG/WAP9 series provide over WAP7 ? Is it just more power ? Any new traction mechanism?
Actually WAG9s are more than a decade old. I was fortunate enough take a short ride from the cockpit of the WAG9 back in 1998 in Bamrauli, Allahabad

As far I understand WAG9 are just meant to used for freight operations.
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 09:39   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
Actually WAG9s are more than a decade old. I was fortunate enough take a short ride from the cockpit of the WAG9 back in 1998 in Bamrauli, Allahabad

As far I understand WAG9 are just meant to used for freight operations.

Yes, WAG9 are for freight operations only. Very rarely i have seen WAG9 on a passenger train and definitely not on express and super fasts

The main aim of these monsters is to haul humongous load for sustained period of time over varied gradients and not top speed. And they do that job very well!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:02   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The main aim of these monsters is to haul humongous load for sustained period of time over varied gradients and not top speed. And they do that job very well!
Thanks guys. I thought progressive numbers represented new generation locos. Hence thought it was a new loco.

Most Viewed