Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 11:51   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
WAG9 back in 1998
Hmmm....Do you recall the livery and road number?
Old 13th February 2014, 12:01   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Hmmm....Do you recall the livery and road number?
Back in '98 I was in 12 Years Old, but still enthusiastic about machines!

It was the "Navyug", in Green. As far as I recall the Brand New WAG9 had the standard green livery and was undergoing trials. But what I assume, is that the particular loco didn't had the "Navyug" painted initially atleast. The loco was stationed around Allahabad. Don't remember the road number though!

In the coming years, I always yearned to spot a WAG9, but they remain elusive till date.
rahuldevnath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 14:03   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was the "Navyug", in Green.In the coming years, I always yearned to spot a WAG9, but they remain elusive till date.
I had my doubts but that does sound like a G9 for sure.

Yeah; they have not made an appearance in my parts but for some strange reason, can be spotted just 150km away from Bangalore. As you said, not common to spot. Up north, its a different story, the green hornet is everywhere. It replaces two WAG7 locomotives which are quite powerful. Now that is something for tractive effort, balancing speed and being economical.
Old 13th February 2014, 14:37   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

The main aim of these monsters is to haul humongous load for sustained period of time over varied gradients and not top speed. And they do that job very well!
If there is a situation that demands a WAG9 TO haul a passenger train, we can expect killer acceleration. Given the power, short gearing, one puny load, the G9 will set the rails on fire
Old 13th February 2014, 14:47   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back in '98 I was in 12 Years Old, but still enthusiastic about machines!

It was the "Navyug", in Green. As far as I recall the Brand New WAG9 had the standard green livery and was undergoing trials. But what I assume, is that the particular loco didn't had the "Navyug" painted initially atleast. The loco was stationed around Allahabad. Don't remember the road number though!

In the coming years, I always yearned to spot a WAG9, but they remain elusive till date.
The first few imported WAG9's were homed at Gomoh(GMO) and had their series starting from 31000. Allahabad being in the same region as its home shed, would have been stationed there for trials. They were inducted into service around then.

Picture from IRFCA database of the CBU import of the first WWAG9
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-wag9_31000_amla2.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 13th February 2014 at 14:54.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 15:59   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If there is a situation that demands a WAG9 TO haul a passenger train, we can expect killer acceleration. Given the power, short gearing, one puny load, the G9 will set the rails on fire
@audioholic
Actually when compared to WAP7 it will look like a bummer as WAG9s are built for hauling heavy load rather than acceleration which is WAP7's specialty, so the actual running time will be much longer. Same was reported sometime ago in irfca forums when a faulty WAP7 was replaced by WAG9.

I have seen what two WAG9s banked can do to a long line of empty wagons maybe around 60-80 or so. I was waiting at Tambaram station to send off my grandma and a gods train hauled by two WAG9s stopped in the opposite platform waiting for signal. From the time they started till the last wagon left the platform one could see how effortlessly they pulled and it was like out suburban trains accelerating only that this goods train was accelerating to much higher speeds.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 16:31   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That would indeed set the rails on fire. For the passengers it will be a roller coaster ride! The way it would notch up would be beautiful!
Old 13th February 2014, 17:37   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@audioholic
Actually when compared to WAP7 it will look like a bummer as WAG9s are built for hauling heavy load rather than acceleration which is WAP7's specialty, so the actual running time will be much longer. Same was reported sometime ago in irfca forums when a faulty WAP7 was replaced by WAG9.

WAP7 and WAG9 as we know are the same locos in most aspects except for a few tweaks done to suit the application. The G9 has shorter gearing ratio in order to better the pulling capacity. The WAP7 has a taller ratio to enable a higher top speed and in turn reducing its capacity to start heavy loads like what the G9 can do.

Hence, when the G9 is attached to a comparatively lesser load like a passenger train with around 15 coaches, it will be a piece of cake for the loco to accelerate the rake. Though the speeds that the WAP7 can do comfortably are higher compared to what the WAG9 can do, the WAG9 will give better acceleration to a same rake compared to a P7 because of the shorter gearing of the former.

Its as simple as the gearing in cars. Though we usually do top speeds in the higher gears, outright acceleration is higher in the lower gears. 0-40kmph in first two gears of your car will be faster compared to using the taller second and third or fourth gears if possible.
Old 13th February 2014, 18:26   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WAP7 and WAG9 as we know are the same locos in most aspects except for a few tweaks done to suit the application. The G9 has shorter gearing ratio in order to better the pulling capacity. The WAP7 has a taller ratio to enable a higher top speed and in turn reducing its capacity to start heavy loads like what the G9 can do.

Its as simple as the gearing in cars. Though we usually do top speeds in the higher gears, outright acceleration is higher in the lower gears. 0-40kmph in first two gears of your car will be faster compared to using the taller second and third or fourth gears if possible.
Along with this, there is something called 'Coasting' in railways. There are boards at certain sections along the tracks which says 'C'. It is an indication to the loco pilot, if he has the speed, he can coast.
It is the same what truckers do on highways. On a slope, they shift to neutral and let momentum take over which results in higher speeds than their top gear permits as well as fuel consumption.

The same applies to trains and it is easier for them to coast since they are on rails with no hinderence. In the case of a WAP7 and WAG9 hauling a passenger rake, both can hit the same max permissable speed of that section and maintain it when they are coasting. A WAG9 can easily do 90kmh with a rake like this. It is when they reach a section were they need to be in power mode constantly in higher speeds that the speed of WAG9 may reduce just a bit.

Two classes of loco's that cannot be compared is the WAP5 and WAG9. WAP5's do 150kmh+ which I can never imagine a WAG9 do.

Last edited by tharian : 13th February 2014 at 18:30.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 11:38   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks guys. I thought progressive numbers represented new generation locos. Hence thought it was a new loco.
Yes it is indeed a new loco class, in relative terms. The progressive numbers do represent newer generations, in sequence of introduction. So WAG-9 is a loco class introduced after the WAG-7, and so on. It is a different matter that production of WAG-9 is much less than that of WAG-7 even today.

PS: By progressive numbers, I assume you are referring to 'x' in "WAG-x". If you are referring to the 5 digit road number of the locomotive, then those are as per locomotive class. Each class of locomotives had a series of numbers allotted to it which is used up as newer locomotives are manufactured.
Old 21st February 2014, 08:11   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
PS: By progressive numbers, I assume you are referring to 'x' in "WAG-x". If you are referring to the 5 digit road number of the locomotive, then those are as per locomotive class. Each class of locomotives had a series of numbers allotted to it which is used up as newer locomotives are manufactured.
Yes I did mean the "X" in WAG-X". But when Rahul mentioned he had seen WAG-9 class Locos in 1998, I got a bit confused. I thought WAG-7 class came much later. So how come WAG-9 was there much earlier. That was the confusion.
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:18   #387
Senior - BHPian

Some more from Nilgiri mountain railway!

At Hillgrove station for watering the steam locomotive:
Railway Pics-dscn8781.jpg

Steam And diesel side by side at Coonoor:
Railway Pics-dscn8815.jpg

Steam hauled train arriving at Coonoor:

Steam train in the hills:
Railway Pics-dscn9238.jpg

Departing from Ketti:
Railway Pics-dscn8825.jpg

Highest point on the NMR:
Railway Pics-dscn9357.jpg

Action near the Summit:

Actually a wild thought crossed my mind about writing a travelogue of this journey, but none of it was by car so I am still in two minds about it. But the pics are large in number, and a separate photologue would be better able to do justice to them Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by AkMar : 23rd February 2014 at 00:22.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 16:41   #388
Senior - BHPian

Presenting a few more photos from NMR. I have uploaded the rest of the videos on Youtube, and have compiled them into a playlist instead of posting them individually here. The playlist can be seen at this link.

The rack and pinion system beneath the coaches:
Railway Pics-dscn8767.jpg

Runneymede is a beautiful location with tea plantations on both sides, and a stream running in the valley besides the halt!
Railway Pics-dscn8812.jpg

Steam loco at Coonoor:
Railway Pics-dscn9245.jpg

Semaphore guarding exit from Coonoor:
Railway Pics-dscn9248.jpg
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 18:22   #389
Senior - BHPian

Brand new sleeper coaches for Eastern Railway being rolled out from BEML rail coach factory in CV Raman Nagar and crossing the infamous Old Madras road.

Second set of snaps shows KK Express being hauled by a WDG4 as the original ALCO's failed enroute. At the same time Shatabdi passes it hauled by a WAM4. And a freight hauled by twin WDG4s.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img1026.jpg  

Railway Pics-img1027.jpg  

Railway Pics-img991.jpg  

Railway Pics-img992.jpg  

tharian is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 09:53   #390
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how many more decades this same design will last. Its like the amby.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks