Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 17:49   #451
BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Yesterday, after a long long time, I had a chance to visit our railway station. Had been there to see off my father who was traveling to Solapur by 12628 Karnataka super-fast express. I was expecting the train to come attached with the ET WDM 3D twins. However to my utter disappointment it came with a shining red ET WAP4. As far as I know, this train, which travels between New Delhi and Bangalore, is driven by a WAP4 from New Delhi to Itarsi, and thereafter by diesel twins of different sheds all the way up to Bangalore. Has IR changed the loco attachments?
Old 26th September 2015, 18:52   #452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
As far as I know, this train, which travels between New Delhi and Bangalore, is driven by a WAP4 from New Delhi to Itarsi, and thereafter by diesel twins of different sheds all the way up to Bangalore. Has IR changed the loco attachments?
I think it travels on WAP4 till Manmad where the change happens. The Itarsi change over is long gone as per what I know.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 22:41   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, after a long long time, I had a chance to visit our railway station. Had been there to see off my father who was traveling to Solapur by 12628 Karnataka super-fast express. I was expecting the train to come attached with the ET WDM 3D twins. However to my utter disappointment it came with a shining red ET WAP4. As far as I know, this train, which travels between New Delhi and Bangalore, is driven by a WAP4 from New Delhi to Itarsi, and thereafter by diesel twins of different sheds all the way up to Bangalore. Has IR changed the loco attachments?
Hello Swapnil4585,
I travelled by the Karnataka Express last week. I boarded the train at Manmad and travelled till Ahmednagar. As Ampere pointed out, WAP4 pulls the train till Manmad and from there on, twin WDM3 takes it till Bengaluru.

I was surprised to see overhead electric line already installed at Ahmednagar (lines coming from Daund side). So, in future, the WAP4 may pull the train till Daund and loco change to WDM3 may take place at Daund.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 22:49   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I was surprised to see overhead electric line already installed at Ahmednagar (lines coming from Daund side). So, in future, the WAP4 may pull the train till Daund and loco change to WDM3 may take place at Daund.

Nice update! So finally the Daund-Manmad section is getting electrified. Its been a long time. I hope the south section electrification towards Bangalore also happens. We sure will miss the smoke from the dual WDM3.

(I read about Hindupur-Bangalore part electrification already happening).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 12:44   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hello Swapnil4585,
I travelled by the Karnataka Express last week. I boarded the train at Manmad and travelled till Ahmednagar. As Ampere pointed out, WAP4 pulls the train till Manmad and from there on, twin WDM3 takes it till Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice update! So finally the Daund-Manmad section is getting electrified. Its been a long time.
That's a nice update. My dad returned back by Jhelum Express today at 2am. This train too came with a WAP4. Good to see that line getting electrification done. Would be nicer if they lay another track on Daund - Manmad section. That would save considerable travel time too.

On a sad side note, I was waiting on the station from 12am to 2.30am. Many passenger as well as goods trains passed. Could not see a single diesel loco.
Old 27th September 2015, 13:13   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice update. My dad returned back by Jhelum Express today at 2am. This train too came with a WAP4. Good to see that line getting electrification done. Would be nicer if they lay another track on Daund - Manmad section. That would save considerable travel time too.

On a sad side note, I was waiting on the station from 12am to 2.30am. Many passenger as well as goods trains passed. Could not see a single diesel loco.
I too admire a diesel loco more than an electric one.

If you want to enjoy the simplicity of the old steam locomotives and of the old railways systems, watch the movie "The Train". It depicts WW II time.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:37   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The changeover is Manmad as others have pointed out since a couple of years now.
Since this change, the diesel link has changed from Itarsi Locos to MaulaAli (mly) Locos. It runs on twin WDM3a's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice update! So finally the Daund-Manmad section is getting electrified. Its been a long time. I hope the south section electrification towards Bangalore also happens. We sure will miss the smoke from the dual WDM3.

(I read about Hindupur-Bangalore part electrification already happening).
I think the Gooty-Yelahanka line is already done in regards to OHE now. It is not energized though.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 13:30   #458
Senior - BHPian

BBC's latest 4 part documentary on Indian Railways , focused on the suburban railways and their working in and around Bombay.

tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 13:41   #459
BHPian

That's great! I'd like to catch this on the TV. When to tune in? Many thanks for sharing it tharian.
Old 29th September 2015, 14:48   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's great! I'd like to catch this on the TV. When to tune in? Many thanks for sharing it tharian.
Not sure when it will be aired. Looking at the upload dates of the Youtube videos, I guess it will be a while.
Old 29th September 2015, 15:02   #461
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to Doubling of tracks / electricfication, Karnataka still is way behind.

1. Bangalore-Mysore: Doubling still in progress
2. Bangalore-Hindupur: Doubling needed
3. Bangalore-Hosur: There is potential to divert more trains in this route provided doubling is done.

As of now, only the Bangalore-Chennai line is double and completely electrified.
Old 29th September 2015, 15:29   #462
Team-BHP Support

While going to Saputara (a small hill station) a few weeks back, we spotted a narrow gauge (NG) level crossing! That's the first time, I've spotted a railway track that narrow! No snaps unfortunately as it was pouring pretty badly at that time.

But here are some from IRFCA:

Railway Pics-ng003n_001.jpg

Railway Pics-ng006n.jpg

Railway Pics-ng020h.jpg

Railway Pics-20150611174633.jpg

Source

Anyways, the location isn't far from my place; will go there once after finding out when the train crosses that section and get a ride sometime!

This is the train - 52011/Bilimora - Waghai Passenger

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th September 2015 at 15:32.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 16:01   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

3. Bangalore-Hosur: There is potential to divert more trains in this route provided doubling is done.
I doubt if this route will be doubled at all, at least anytime soon.
Reason being the topography is going to make it difficult and the main reason being , although Bangalore to Salem via Hosur is around 220 kms which is 40 kms shorter than the route via/bypassing Jolarpet, the running time is the same.
And the longer route is doubled as well as electrified which leads to higher average speeds which is why many of the Kerala trains run on the longer route.
I remember there was a time when Kanyakumari(Island) express used to run with diesel on the Hosur route for a while when the ramp to the Salem line was built from Byapanahalli(your profile picture ) and then again came back to the longer route.

Last edited by tharian : 29th September 2015 at 16:02.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 17:57   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I doubt if this route will be doubled at all, at least anytime soon.
Reason being the topography is going to make it difficult and the main reason being , although Bangalore to Salem via Hosur is around 220 kms which is 40 kms shorter than the route via/bypassing Jolarpet, the running time is the same.
And the longer route is doubled as well as electrified which leads to higher average speeds which is why many of the Kerala trains run on the longer route.
I remember there was a time when Kanyakumari(Island) express used to run with diesel on the Hosur route for a while when the ramp to the Salem line was built from Byapanahalli(your profile picture ) and then again came back to the longer route.
Mate, I agree with what you have said about the doubling of Hosur route. I am aware of the topography in that region. At the same time, I feel SWR should construct a railway line from Hosur to Malur. Reason being all Jolarpet bound trains pass through Malur and some of the trains do have a stop at Malur.
Assuming railways have sufficient land space near Chandapura, they can convert the same into a major junction akin to Yesvantpur so that people residing in south bangalore will have the option of getting down at Chandapura and head home easily. We can also have trains originating from Chandapura.
Experts your thoughts on this....
Old 29th September 2015, 22:04   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
BBC's latest 4 part documentary on Indian Railways , focused on the suburban railways and their working in and around Bombay.
EXCELLENT, excellent series! Thank you for an awesome 4 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
When it comes to Doubling of tracks / electricfication, Karnataka still is way behind.

1. Bangalore-Mysore: Doubling still in progress
Well the Bangalore-Mysore doubling is almost done save for around Srirangapatna. Last week I saw the tracks over Shimsha river were being electrified, they were erecting poles and simultaneously wiring them. I'm guessing they will be done with electrifying the stretch in another 6 months!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks