Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 17:24   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
WDM3 are being produced sparingly to the tune of about 10-15 per annum and they too are for Non Railway customers, thus being used primarily for shunting purposes.
Is it the WDS6 in WDM3d shell that is being manufactured for shunting purpose?
The only WDM that is being manufactured on and off is the 3d series and I doubt they would make that for shunting duties to provide to non-railway parties.
Old 17th August 2016, 18:07   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is it the WDS6 in WDM3d shell that is being manufactured for shunting purpose?

The only WDM that is being manufactured on and off is the 3d series and I doubt they would make that for shunting duties to provide to non-railway parties.

True that 👍🏼 WDS6 is what is being given in the WDM3 shell for shunting purposes.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:14   #573
BHPian

Union Railway Minister today announced four new categories of trains, one for unreserved passengers and three for reserved ones, which will be operational in the next couple of months.

The Antyodaya Express- a long-distance, fully unreserved, super-fast train
Deen Dayalu - long-distance trains for unreserved travel
Humsafar – a fully third AC train.
The Tejas - run at 130 km an hour with local cuisine & Wi-Fi
UDAY (Utkrisht Double-Decker Air-conditioned Yatri)-which will be overnight trains plying on the busiest routes to increase capacity by 40 per cent.

http://www.financialexpress.com/indi...d-uday/350053/
Old 18th August 2016, 09:43   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The only difference between a comparable G & P is the gearing, thus making G's top speed less that of P (Thus, G is more suited to haul greater loads than P). The G's are used for passenger hauling duty where speed is not a requirement (Is within the G's limit). It also depends on the availability of the locos.
If WDG4 has more tractive effort compared to WDP4, it shall have more loco weight too. Any idea about how do they make WDG4 heavier than WDP4? Have they added some cast iron deadweight anywhere?
Old 18th August 2016, 09:47   #575
BHPian

India & Mumbai's first ever Air Conditioned EMU, which will have the formation of a metro with vestibule type IV Couplers

Most of these electrics that you see here & other stuff barring the main propulsion system have been sourced by yours truly
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-ht-room.jpg  

Railway Pics-20151106photo00000085.jpg  

Railway Pics-20160331photo00001488.jpg  

Railway Pics-drivers-cab.jpg  

Prodigyy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 10:16   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If WDG4 has more tractive effort compared to WDP4, it shall have more loco weight too. Any idea about how do they make WDG4 heavier than WDP4? Have they added some cast iron deadweight anywhere?
Between WDG4 and WDP4, the latter has 2 traction motors less. WDG4 has a Co-Co arrangement and WDP4 is Bo1-1Bo. WDG4 is 128t and WDP4 is 118t as per IRFCA. WDP-4B, which is a derivative of the WDG4 weighs 121.2t, is a Co-Co arrangement and the weight saving is achieved by trimming the weight of the under-frame.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 11:30   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WDG4 has a Co-Co arrangement and WDP4 is Bo1-1Bo.
As far as I know, the definition of Bo Bo and Co Co means the numbers of wheel sets on a bogie. It has nothing to do if they are powered/driven or not.

For example, a WDP1 or a WAP5 have Bo Bo bogie or wheel set arrangement where as a WAP7, WDG/P4 are Co Co.

You are correct on the traction motor count. That is the primary difference between the WDP4 and WDP4B/DG4
Old 18th August 2016, 11:37   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
As far as I know, the definition of Bo Bo and Co Co means the numbers of wheel sets on a bogie. It has nothing to do if they are powered/driven or not.

For example, a WDP1 or a WAP5 have Bo Bo bogie or wheel set arrangement where as a WAP7, WDG/P4 are Co Co.
AFAIK for the WDP4 its a separate dead axle and hence the arrangement is defined as Bo-1 1-Bo. If we disregard the powered axle part, then you have to call the WDP4 set also as Co-Co which is not differentiable.

By the way, are the three phase locos geared as per the requirement or are they directly coupled motors? I am not sure if they actually need to be geared but just need a confirmation on this.
Old 18th August 2016, 11:51   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
AFAIK for the WDP4 its a separate dead axle and hence the arrangement is defined as Bo-1 1-Bo. If we disregard the powered axle part, then you have to call the WDP4 set also as Co-Co which is not differentiable.
The WDP4 is the Bo1-1Bo arrangement and is generically termed as Co-Co since it has 3+3 axles. DLW, does not differentiate between the Bogies / Underframe or long hood of the the two locomotives.

Quote:
By the way, are the three phase locos geared as per the requirement or are they directly coupled motors? I am not sure if they actually need to be geared but just need a confirmation on this.
If you're talking about the Pinion Gear & Bull Gear, then the motors being supplied for the 3-Phase Diesel Locomotives are almost always demanded & hence supplied without a Pinion & Bull Gear.

DLW mostly procures a 17 Teeth Pinion & a 90 Teeth Bull gear for the 3 phase motors.
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 12:10   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
The WDP4 is the Bo1-1Bo arrangement and is generically termed as Co-Co since it has 3+3 axles. DLW, does not differentiate between the Bogies / Underframe or long hood of the the two locomotives.
The naming is based on UIC classification of locomotive axle arrangements.
Bo-Bo means 2 axles per bogie and both powered by individual traction motors.
Bo1-1Bo means 2 powered axles and a dead axle and its reverse on the other end.
Co-Co means 3 axles, all powered by individual traction motors.
So yes, the naming do indicate whether an axle is powered or not.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 13:20   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That's a WAP 7 that powers the Rajdhani, right?

Quote:
Bo-Bo means 2 axles per bogie and both powered by individual traction motors.
Bo1-1Bo means 2 powered axles and a dead axle and its reverse on the other end.
Co-Co means 3 axles, all powered by individual traction motors.
So yes, the naming do indicate whether an axle is powered or not.
To my mischievous, non-technical mind, it appears that the model to follow Bo-Bo and Co-Co will be called Do-do!
Old 18th August 2016, 13:52   #582
BHPian

Name:  LocomotiveClassesIndianRailways620x330.png
Views: 2112
Size:  99.9 KB
Just came across this on the web on the naming conventions of the locomotives.

Source
centaur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 21:09   #583
BHPian

Some pics from our favorite weekend get away..Lonavla

Also does anyone have an info or can point to how the whole signalling system works/ is controlled?
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-2_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-3_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-4_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-5_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-6_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-7_800x450.jpg  

Railway Pics-8_800x450.jpg  

alter.e.go is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 22:56   #584
BHPian

Nice to see so many IR fans and rail nuts here. I too am an IRFCA member (MAS Division). We were once featured on the front page of The Hindu Metro Plus, posing in front of a WDP2 at Madras Egmore.

By the way, my most favourite locomotive of all time is the diminutive, yet gutsy little YAM1, which is sadly no longer in service. We remember seeing off the YAM1, leaving on its last official journey from Tambaram. I had the misfortune of witnessing several of these beauties being ripped apart for scrap just outside Tambaram railway station. However, I was very glad to learn that one is plinthed in the Perambur rail museum.

I miss the legendary Madras MG EMUs too. We were on the last ever official service, from Madras Egmore to Tambaram. It was an emotional farewell, with people lining up at stations to bid goodbye, close to midnight! A leading power car is now plinthed outside Egmore station.

I'll post some photos I've clicked over the years. Let me look into my archives.

Peace,

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited by satanic_dude : 19th August 2016 at 23:15.
Old 20th August 2016, 08:58   #585
Senior - BHPian

My favorite locomotive purely on looks, sound and whatever little I know by playing MTS is the WDM2. Its chugging and puffing is simply awesome. I love it in its original GOOTY shed color of orange with a blue stripe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks