Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 22:14   #631
BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

This rainy season I was quite lucky to travel by train from Pune to New Delhi. And thankfully this train's route was through famous ghats of Maharashtra. And I had one of my best train journeys ever.

Our train was late by 5 hours and as soon as it arrived, every body opened their bed and went to sleep. I think I was the lone traveler who was awake and standing at the door to have the experience of life time. Here are some pics for all of you.

Railway Pics-037.jpg

Railway Pics-057.jpg

Railway Pics-068.jpg

Railway Pics-070.jpg

Railway Pics-044.jpg

Railway Pics-167.jpg

Railway Pics-177.jpg

Railway Pics-180.jpg

Railway Pics-187.jpg

Railway Pics-273.jpg

Railway Pics-280.jpg

Railway Pics-298.jpg

Railway Pics-310.jpg

Railway Pics-321.jpg

Railway Pics-341.jpg

Railway Pics-359.jpg

Railway Pics-362.jpg

Railway Pics-382.jpg

Railway Pics-388.jpg

Railway Pics-391.jpg
vikasshu is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 12:04   #632
BHPian

wow, those are a nice set of photographs, best enjoyed from an open window in the sleeper class.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 13:18   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
This rainy season I was quite lucky to travel by train from Pune to New Delhi. And thankfully this train's route was through famous ghats of Maharashtra. And I had one of my best train journeys ever.
Quite surprising! Which was the route? Usually its Pune-Daund-Bhusaval-Manmad-Itarsi

Did you go via Bombay?
Old 4th July 2017, 13:24   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Some really good pictures. Did you use a cell phone for that? I have always found it challenging to take snaps in a moving train.
Old 4th July 2017, 13:30   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quite surprising! Which was the route? Usually its Pune-Daund-Bhusaval-Manmad-Itarsi

Did you go via Bombay?
This should be the 12493 Pune - Hazrat Nizamuddin AC express which goes via Lonavala - Kalyan - Vasai & thereafter the Mumbai Delhi mainline.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 13:47   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
This should be the 12493 Pune - Hazrat Nizamuddin AC express which goes via Lonavala - Kalyan - Vasai & thereafter the Mumbai Delhi mainline.
I thought so. Looked like the route which bypasses Mumbai via Vasai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 14:10   #637
BHPian

The pics are from Lonavala, Khandala, Palasdhari (one station before Karjat while going towards Mumbai), Karjat and then the ghats as well. The ghats become mesmerizing during rains.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 17:08   #638
BHPian

That is very true Sparky. I love to travel by sleeper class but then family (read wife) never agrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
wow, those are a nice set of photographs, best enjoyed from an open window in the sleeper class.
Thanks a lot Pratyush. I used a Nikon D7000 camera with 35mm 1.8G prime lens. I selected this lens because it captures good pics in low light. Well it is a bit risky to take pics from a moving train plus this risk increases in rains when climbing rails on doors become more slippery which I normally use to hold while taking pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Some really good pictures. Did you use a cell phone for that? I have always found it challenging to take snaps in a moving train.
Akmar you seem to be really familiar with this route. 100% marks for guessing the right train as well.

Quote:
You are right centaur about the sequence of stations. Again, you seem to be well familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The pics are from Lonavala, Khandala, Palasdhari (one station before Karjat while going towards Mumbai), Karjat and then the ghats as well. The ghats become mesmerizing during rains.
Hi Ampere, Pune-Daund-Bhusaval is the slower route I believe because till Manmad, it is a single line. After that it becomes double line. Pune-NZM Durranto also travels via Mumbai and then Vadodara, Ratlam, Kota etc. Assume it has something to do with speed or WAP 5/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Did you go via Bombay?
Thanks to all of you for your likes.
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 17:28   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it is a bit risky to take pics from a moving train plus this risk increases in rains when climbing rails on doors become more slippery which I normally use to hold while taking pics.
Indeed, taking pics from the door of train has some risk. The most important precaution is, exert maximum force on the door at all times to keep it open. The doors are heavy, and if it moves unexpectedly you will find yourself thrown on the track in no time. It is better to keep it pinned in the open position. When I click photos from the door, as far as possible I ask someone to accompany me at the door as an additional safety measure. Second thing is to hold the handrail.

Quote:
Akmar you seem to be really familiar with this route. 100% marks for guessing the right train as well.
Yes, the Mumbai - Pune route is indeed very familiar. The ghat section is very close to my heart. This ghat is best enjoyed from the window of a train. If it is the Deccan Queen, then even better. Just grab a window seat in the famed dining car & enjoy the rain soaked ghats while sipping on your cup of coffee Expressway cannot hold a candle to fun of enjoying the Bhor ghat from a train.

Quote:
Hi Ampere, Pune-Daund-Bhusaval is the slower route I believe because till Manmad, it is a single line. After that it becomes double line. Pune-NZM Durranto also travels via Mumbai and then Vadodara, Ratlam, Kota etc. Assume it has something to do with speed or WAP 5/7.
The Pune Daund Manmad Bhusawal Itarsi route is slower due to multiple reasons
  1. Daund - Manmad single line
  2. Reversal is required at Daund which is time consuming
  3. Lesser speed allowed (110 km/h) for most of this route

Whereas route via Vasai allows 120/130 km/h right from outside Mumbai's suburbs. It leads to significant saving in time.

Last edited by AkMar : 4th July 2017 at 17:33.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 18:25   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, taking pics from the door of train has some risk. The most important precaution is, exert maximum force on the door at all times to keep it open.
Valuable suggestions AkMar. I've never traveled by Deccan queen. Possibly next time whenever in Pune, may take a trip till Mumbai.

Another thing that I observed. It seems since conversion of Mumbai local network to AC from DC, many of WCAM 2 & 3s are being used as bankers.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:28   #641
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures from Makali and Thondeabavi on the Yelahanka-Gooty mainline which sees lots of electric action now.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img_6235.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_6236.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_6242.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_6243.jpg  

tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 11:49   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really a picture worth being part of this thread but I encountered Hassan - Bangalore Inter City (22680) on my way to Hassan last Friday before Yediyur .

Railway Pics-vlcsnap2017071011h37m20s060.png
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 12:15   #643
BHPian

Quote:

Another thing that I observed. It seems since conversion of Mumbai local network to AC from DC, many of WCAM 2 & 3s are being used as bankers.
Yes. This is being done so that more WAG 7 can be released for freight duties. Unlike a WAG 7 where LPs across India have learning, only the crew based out of CR Mumbai area have learning for WCAM locos.

Also, once all WCAM 3s are converted to pure AC, they output becomes as much as a WAG 7
MadiMaama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:28   #644
BHPian

Spotted this at BAW Chikkabanavara. Couldn't get better pics since it was already moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1499835503910.jpg  

Old 15th July 2017, 18:44   #645
BHPian

Some of the pictures clicked from my daily train commute from Hosur to Bangalore. The 2nd photo was taken in Carmelaram station.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-1500124397610.jpg  

Railway Pics-1500124466446.jpg  

sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed